SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/9/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Haha!

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/9/22 2:18 p.m.

Well at least the price of crude tanked a bit this morning.  That said, don't forget 2008 . . .

Opti
Opti Dork
3/9/22 2:28 p.m.
Chris_V said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to Chris_V :

Well, I'm not using a vehicle with crap economy, and the worst of the fleet gets used about once a month.A tank of fuel typically lasts 6-8 weeks. It holds a whopping 25 gallons. It's averaging 21+mpg highway and 18-19 if I have to use it for work. Just because it's a larger truck doesn't make it a gas guzzler. 

So how is a vehicle that isn't being used affecting fuel prices again? 

As soon as you DO use it, it affects gas prices. And if you aren't using it, you don't need to complain about gas prices, right?

I wish someone would tell our local electric companies that they aren't raising costs, because we are seeing it in the monthly statement. Unless I am makin that up too. 

Have your electrical costs per kWh gone up over 300 percent in the last two months due to global increases in demand and global decreases in supply? No? Ok, then. The prices are not set by global commodities traders based on supply and demand and worldwide unrest. And again, MY use of an EV doesn't change YOUR rates or utility bill by one red cent and will not. But every time we fill up our cars with gas, REGARDLESS OF FUEL MILEAGE, we increase demand, increasing the pricing for everyone as long as SUPPLY stays constant or drops. Which is what's happening.

You understand that when you plug in your EV you absolutely increase demand for electricity, right? See California currently blaming blackouts on all the EVs plugged in, and electricities spot price is absolutely set by supply and demand. Lots of energy companies actually by electricity futures to hedge against volatility. Just because you dont notice it on your bill at the end of the month, does not mean electricities price isnt set by supply and demand. In your part of the world it may be pretty stable, but for many people that is not the case.

Wind and Solar do not stabilize electricity supply, they are by nature unstable. They do diversify the electricity supply which is good, but completely switching to renewables (unless you include nuclear) will not make for a nice stable supply. As a whole the US has been moving away from coal, but they have only shifted to natural gas, with a much smaller shift to renewables. Cheap natural gas has kept prices down over the last decade.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/22 2:44 p.m.

$5.499 here in San Diego this morning.

Interesting article EV vs ICE money per mile:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/filling-gas-vehicle-cheaper-electric

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/9/22 3:06 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

At those prices, charging up at home is about $190/mo less expensive than a 25 mpg ICE would be by my calculator, assuming 12k miles a year. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/9/22 4:49 p.m.
Erich said:

At those prices, charging up at home is about $190/mo less expensive than a 25 mpg ICE would be by my calculator, assuming 12k miles a year. 

Plus solar power on your roof is particularly effective in San Diego. This even further reducing your costs. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/9/22 6:08 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Erich said:

Plus solar power on your roof is particularly effective in San Diego. This even further reducing your costs. 

Sure, I guess if you ignore the cost of the panels and install. Of which the national average is $16,000-18,500 to install solar on a 2000sq ft house. 

I've spoken with two different companies here in Oklahoma about it. Basically you're just trading an electricity bill for a long-term loan on the panels/install. And to keep it affordable, most of those loans are 15-20 years.........or the average life span of the solar panels. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
3/9/22 8:20 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

I read that isnt possible. 

EDIT sorry, [/sarcasm]

It's possible :)

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/9/22 11:39 p.m.

Thought this would be appreciated in this thread

https://youtu.be/euNx2IXSirY

-Rob

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/22 11:47 p.m.

I filled up the 944 four weeks ago and that's looking like a sound investment. Beating the market by 200%.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
3/10/22 6:26 a.m.

2$ per litre in Orillia Ont today, 

Side question, is any one else looking for Propane conversion kits or just me?

They used to be popular, my dad had a few, but now seem to be hard to find.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 7:44 a.m.

I stopped for gas this morning. The Exxon was $3.90 if you have their club card and $4.00 without. 

The total spent in the last 10 days on fuel is $615.40.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 8:05 a.m.

Friend owns a station. Tuesday night it was 3.89 for premium. He got three calls from the supplier. One at 8:00 pm one at 6:00am  following morning and another at 8:00am with price changes.  In 12 hours his price jumped $2.60 to 5.49 a gal. I needed fuel but put it off until the morning. It cost me $20. By waiting 12 hours. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/22 8:23 a.m.
warpedredneck said:

Propane here also spiked. What was $2.89gallon 2 weeks ago is now $3.89.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/10/22 8:54 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

Thought this would be appreciated in this thread

https://youtu.be/euNx2IXSirY

-Rob

My wife's a big fan of his channel and showed that to me yesterday; I had clicked on this thread to post it but I see you beat me to it.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/10/22 9:00 a.m.

Woke up very depressed this morning. $4 a gallon gas will blow a hole in my budget. A nice property tax increase will blow another hole in my budget. Jerkoff house flippers texting me all day hoping I will give up and sell to them, but there is no place else to go that isn't even more expensive. People moving here from California wanting my house, my job and my cars. Mrs. Snowdoggie is more worried about nukes and she doesn't want me riding the scooter to work in Dallas traffic. 

What a weird nasty world. 

Meh.

3/10/22 9:09 a.m.

Maybe I will go out and ride the damned scooter anyway. Nothing is more fun than being on two wheels.

pirate
pirate Dork
3/10/22 9:15 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Erich said:

Sure, I guess if you ignore the cost of the panels and install. Of which the national average is $16,000-18,500 to install solar on a 2000sq ft house. 

I've spoken with two different companies here in Oklahoma about it. Basically you're just trading an electricity bill for a long-term loan on the panels/install. And to keep it affordable, most of those loans are 15-20 years.........or the average life span of the solar panels. 

There is also the price of a $60,000 average price EV! I don't think anyone can predict how long they will last or what ongoing maintenance costs will be. From what I have read the infrastructure is not there for everyone to drive an EV. Kind of like jumping out of an airplane with the intent to sew a parachute on the way down.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/10/22 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm leaving DFW this summer and very likely will never live in TX again.  I've lived here longer than most people ever will, but the big cities in TX are headed in a bad direction overall.  TX still exists, but you have to be 90 minutes outside and of the big 4 cities to experience it.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/10/22 9:25 a.m.
alfadriver said:

"Most people don't need trucks" should be extended to "most people just need a two seat fuel economy car to commute with" - since a vast majority of commuters do it on their own.  

Which is exactly what the Fiero was designed as what, 40 years ago?  

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
3/10/22 9:38 a.m.

I have never seen gas below $4 in the past 5 years I've lived in Truckee, CA(except breifly march of 2020). Today it's $6.49. Thankfully I have jugs and have always filled up in Reno. It's a solid $1-1.50 savings usually.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/22 9:39 a.m.
warpedredneck said:

Propane is about the same price wise but isn't as efficient, you net something like 10 percent less mpg

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/10/22 10:40 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I have never seen gas below $4 in the past 5 years I've lived in Truckee, CA(except breifly march of 2020). Today it's $6.49. Thankfully I have jugs and have always filled up in Reno. It's a solid $1-1.50 savings usually.

Seems like the views you have there are worth the cost. Imagine if you lived in NJ. laugh

3/10/22 10:58 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
buzzboy said:

Seems like the views you have there are worth the cost. Imagine if you lived in NJ. laugh

I learned how to ski at Heavenly Valley as a kid. The views are just as good, and cheaper at the New Mexico ski resorts.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9RQoOlH4Z8m5X8CRwnFYZBDEqmA1WyYZmbnK3P18blmSCFIAyWj37PLNVQuIws5