1 2 3
travisb
travisb New Reader
3/6/14 9:48 a.m.

===========================

I purchased my new car yesterday, so you don't really need to suggest anymore unless you just want to help the community in general. I went with a 2014 Subaru BRZ that I got well under invoice.

===========================

I am selling my NA turbo Miata that has more issues than I want to address and also my current daily driver which is a Hyundai Accent. I want to combine certain aspects of both of these cars into one car and I am looking for suggestions.

What I'd like: light weight (< ~3k lbs), sporty (for autox), manual, 4 seats, rear/4wd, relatively new, easy/inexpensive to maintain, less than $25k (the lower $ the better)

So, basically a 4-seat Miata with a V8

One car comes to mind: BRZ/FR-S. I thought about the WRX and Genesis Coupe, but I'm not sure about the size/weight. I know there have to be more cars that tick all the boxes.

My current cars are relatively small and light and I would generally like to stay that way.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/6/14 9:57 a.m.

Can we have fun with this thread and suggest things that only click some of the boxes? Because I'm seeing 2004-2006 GTO all over this.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
3/6/14 9:58 a.m.

3 series BMW?

travisb
travisb New Reader
3/6/14 10:01 a.m.

While the GTO does get a few boxes ticked, I'd like to keep it small and light if possible. Thanks though!

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
3/6/14 10:02 a.m.

RX8?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
3/6/14 10:54 a.m.

Isn't the GTO like 3700 lbs? Only 200 more than others already on the list.

And by 4 seats, how much of a seat? Cram a double amputee? or something you would actually put people you like into for a roadtrip?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
3/6/14 11:18 a.m.

If you're looking for <3k lbs and RWD with 4 seats, your choices are going to be rather limited. Like icaneat said, what kind of seats? If it's a parcel shelf pretending to be a seat, you've got a few more options. If it's an honest-to-goodness back seat, not so much.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
3/6/14 11:24 a.m.

I think the BRZ is by far your best bet. It weighs less than anything else in the class, has room enough, sort of, for normal people in the back and has reasonable power. You won't do better - unless you wait for them to stick a turbo on the engine in a year or three.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-roadster-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-20142017-future-cars

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
3/6/14 11:25 a.m.

I am looking at this question and I see Fiesta ST/Focus ST.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/6/14 11:26 a.m.

Details on your miata you're getting rid of?

travisb
travisb New Reader
3/6/14 11:30 a.m.

The Miata is spoken for. It is leaving on Saturday.

For the back seat, I do have a 6 year old that will need a car seat for another year and a half.

The list in my first post was just showing some examples. I would like to stay closer to the BRZ size and weight and not the GTO size and weight.

Isn't the Focus/Fiesta only FWD?

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
3/6/14 11:50 a.m.

Fiesta/Focus ST are both only FWD, Fiesta ~2,600lbs Focus ~3,200lbs

There really isn't much in the way of "light weight" 4 seaters, esp rwd or awd

Early WRX's were about 3100ish lbs.

RX-8 is the closest at ~3000lbs

964 Porsche is just shy of 3000lbs as well

I think most relatively modern BMW's are 3200-3500lbs ex. 135i's are 3400ish

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
3/6/14 11:50 a.m.

I can't think of a single car that meats all your criteria. (I don't consider the BRZ backseat to be anything useful.)
So you have to drop a requirement.

Ditching the RWD/AWD will give you the most options, or if your least important criteria is a useable seat then you can go BRZ

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/6/14 11:55 a.m.

Yeah, you are buying a BRZ if that is the list you have to stick with. How talk are you? The Toybaru twins aren't going to allow much of anything behind you with that back seat unless you are like 5'6". Why don't you go drive a fiesta ST or the turbo 3 cylinder version (I hear awesome things) and see how that feels. You are looking for a car that doesn't really exist, except for the Toyota/Subaru. The RX-8 is a good option if you aren't afraid of the occasional engine rebuild .

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/6/14 11:58 a.m.

Notice the passenger back side is within a few inches of the front of the rear seat. Also, I think that child seats will have to be chosen with care to fit in that tiny hole.

Another good example

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
3/6/14 12:05 p.m.

I know my 318ti fits the bill, but it is much slower than the rest of the cars besides the Accent. Very cheap too since the newest you can find is 15 years old now.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
3/6/14 12:09 p.m.

E46 M3? It's not as light as you are looking for, but I don't think anything with a real back seat is.

travisb
travisb New Reader
3/6/14 12:18 p.m.

Thanks for your input so far. I'm about 5'9" and the back seat is a requirement. If I have to remove one of the requirements... I'm not sure which one it would be.

In order of priority:

4 seats

price

sporty

age/reliability/ease of maintenance

rwd/4wd

weight

manual

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/6/14 12:18 p.m.

2.0 Turbo RWD Manual ATS is 3403 lbs and a used one can just barely meet the upper end of your budget.

I don't think you'll get under 3K lbs unless you drop one or more requirements.

• Lee
travisb
travisb New Reader
3/6/14 12:22 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: The RX-8 is a good option if you aren't afraid of the occasional engine rebuild .

That's one of the main reasons it is not on the top of the list. Prior owner maintenance is extremely important with this car.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
3/6/14 12:50 p.m.

Like other's have said there are really few cars that fit all your wants.

The newest car that I can think of that fits your criteria besides the frs/brz would be the a impreza 2.5 RS They weigh in at ~2800lbs with awd (98-01). The newer 2.5's (up to 2005) are just under 3000 lbs as well.

I'd probably go for the 3-series bmw that best fits your wants/budget if I were in your shoes though. Most won't fit your weight requirement unless you're looking at e30s or the 318ti.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/6/14 12:54 p.m.

Forte Koup SX. 201hp 1.6DI-T, 6-spd manual, 2800lbs, good brakes, solid chassis etc. The Forte5 hatch is nice as well. These cars are an intake/exhaust/FMIC/tune from 250whp.

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
3/6/14 12:57 p.m.

The Toyobaru twins would be my first suggestions...but if you actually need the back seats...Hyundai Genesis coupe or Mustang. I liked whoever suggested the GTO, the backseats in those are quite nice.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/14 1:01 p.m.

Hey guys, I'd like a car that makes 600 hp and weighs 1500lbs. It has to fit 9 kids in the back and haul all my shoes and glasses. Must come in eye searing blue. GET TO IT!

On topic.

I think you're best bet is a Focus ST. If that doesn't work for you please let us know what car you purchase.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/6/14 1:02 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Hey guys, I'd like a car that makes 600 hp and weighs 1500lbs. It has to fit 9 kids in the back and haul all my shoes and glasses. Must come in eye searing blue. GET TO IT!

Oh, well what you need is a 1986 Olds 88. Perfect.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EpyWHzAVnt2ecxh2XmQAWmrQF9F13LfqUVb6ERiIBg6mQ7bnacDdo6DvYUIwR3Eh