1 2 3
pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/6/14 1:04 p.m.

Volvo 240 Turbo with a whole pile of iPd parts thrown at it?

mw
mw Dork
3/6/14 1:09 p.m.

How new/ reliable do you need? My 996 is 2900#, rwd, fits my 5 year old with car seat, manual transmission and was $16k. You can do a lot of preventative maintenance with the left over $9k. I really don't think its what you're looking for, but it ticks most of your boxes.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/6/14 1:10 p.m.

Wiki says that a manual IS300 is 3255 lbs.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/6/14 1:19 p.m.

Car & Driver claimed the '08 128i they tested was 3197 lbs.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/6/14 1:25 p.m.

I like newer for DD, but you're going to gain a lot more room on your requirements for going older. My 81 Camaro was only 3100 and my 86 only 3000 for instance, and those were not small cars, but could easily fit four (or 7 sometimes).

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
3/6/14 1:27 p.m.

Everyone knows the answer is an e30. Sporty, RWD, room for kids in the back, bullet proof engine, and sub 3000 lbs. from the factory with more free weight reduction depending on how much has rusted off.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
3/6/14 1:28 p.m.

LS1 Camaro

• RWD
  • fookin fast V8
  • Decent mileage with the 6 speed
  • 4 seats
  • 3400lbs

Done

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
3/6/14 1:36 p.m.

Sounds to me like you need a JDM WRX wagon. 300hp, 2800lbs, all the modern amenities, available for well under $10k and never over 60,000miles. ;)

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
3/6/14 1:37 p.m.

None of those coupes are going to have a back seat your 6 year old could live with. Trust me...I'm 5'9" and have 6 year old twins. I had a MINI Cooper S for a while. The only way they fit in the back was if I was eating the steering wheel. If I put the seat back where I really wanted it, there was literally about 2 or 3" of legroom. Most of those coupes are going to be very similar.

If you can live with a larger and heavier coupe you've got cars like 370Z/G35 twins, GTO, maybe Camaro/Mustang. They will all have usable back seats. If you want 4 doors and need RWD/AWD probably STi or Evo (I would think Charger is too heavy). If you can deal with FWD, MINI Cooper Clubman (has more backseat room).

Or maybe go with a G35/G37 sedan? RWD, fun, manual, 4 real size seats, reliable. Only thing it's not is under 3000lbs.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/14 1:37 p.m.
travisb wrote:
singleslammer wrote: The RX-8 is a good option if you aren't afraid of the occasional engine rebuild .
That's one of the main reasons it is not on the top of the list. Prior owner maintenance is extremely important with this car.

I think the fuel economy is more of a concern than engine rebuilds. It was mostly the Automatics that had issues (slightly different engine design, not driven hard) and who wants one of those? Mine is at 86K and still going strong. (I'm selling it because of the fuel mileage )

travisb
travisb New Reader
4/3/14 6:35 a.m.

I'm following up on my thread now that I purchased my new car. I went with a 2014 Subaru BRZ. I was able to get it for about $2,500 under invoice after several days of emails and phone calls back and forth with 6 Subaru and Scion dealerships to negotiate the best price. So far I am loving the car!

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/14 8:38 a.m.

E36 M3 / 328i?

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
4/3/14 8:56 a.m.

It seems like a 2008 (if you want to go STX) or a 2011 WRX (D-Stock) will be your best bets. If you remove a few things or replace the front seats they can get ~3000 pounds or even a bit less on the 2008. See this buid thread for example:

http://www.mnautox.com/forums/showthread.php?18718-Steve-s-STX-build-back-to-the-future

Others have mentioned the RX-8. They can be had well below your budget and the back seat is far more usable than the BRZ/FRS.

Off the top of my head those are the only two cars that are going to be near your weight/seat/drivetrain preferences...

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/3/14 9:17 a.m.

So the guy updates his thread with his new car he just bought, and you both suggest cars for him to buy???

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
4/3/14 9:26 a.m.

Lol, missed that part...congrats on the new car.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
4/3/14 9:54 a.m.

The nice thing about the Focus/Fiesta is that they are 5 doors. Makes back seat access much easier.

"only FWD" Ford has pretty much handled that.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:59 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Hey guys, I'd like a car that makes 600 hp and weighs 1500lbs. It has to fit 9 kids in the back and haul all my shoes and glasses. Must come in eye searing blue. GET TO IT! On topic. I think you're best bet is a Focus ST. If that doesn't work for you please let us know what car you purchase.

Pretty much this. Or the Fiesta, if you needed the back seat room. Enjoy the BRZ!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/3/14 10:00 a.m.

I know I sound like a broken record... but these can easily be 2900lbs, tick every box depending on your definition of new being "in the last 20 years".

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 10:01 a.m.
travisb wrote: I'm following up on my thread now that I purchased my new car. I went with a 2014 Subaru BRZ. I was able to get it for about $2,500 under invoice after several days of emails and phone calls back and forth with 6 Subaru and Scion dealerships to negotiate the best price. So far I am loving the car!

Glad to hear that!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/3/14 10:13 a.m.
1966stang wrote:
travisb wrote: I'm following up on my thread now that I purchased my new car. I went with a 2014 Subaru BRZ. I was able to get it for about $2,500 under invoice after several days of emails and phone calls back and forth with 6 Subaru and Scion dealerships to negotiate the best price. So far I am loving the car!
Glad to hear that!

Ooops. Missed that before posting.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/14 12:24 p.m.

Congratulations! Sounds like you scored an awesome deal there getting that car for below invoice. What's your impression? Kid fits in the back ok?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/3/14 12:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: So the guy updates his thread with his new car he just bought, and you both suggest cars for him to buy???

I've come to the conclusion the vast majority of people on the internet don't bother to read a thread before they comment.

travisb
travisb New Reader
4/3/14 1:43 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Congratulations! Sounds like you scored an awesome deal there getting that car for below invoice. What's your impression? Kid fits in the back ok?

My daughter fits ok in the back. As long as the front seat is up a few notches it looks like it will ok.

As far as the car goes, I'm loving it!

travisb
travisb New Reader
4/3/14 1:48 p.m.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the continued suggestions.

I know they will be helpful for others.

I purchased my new car yesterday, so you don't really need to suggest anymore unless you just want to help the community in general.

Thanks again!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/3/14 1:55 p.m.
travisb wrote: Oh, and thanks everyone for the continued suggestions. I know they will be helpful for others. I purchased my new car yesterday, so you don't really need to suggest anymore unless you just want to help the community in general. Thanks again!

Wow man, you're way more eloquent with that than I was.

Take some pictures and tell us about your first trackday soon!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qfWJmljkVO7HaFAGk0V5G4UZZqVCcPMHD3re1nZd9HRATfqXTP8dpb6R9MinKfyz