1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/16/15 3:58 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: run what you have for now... source a replacement short block, build it from the crank up. Performance parts bolted to a tired older engine tends to expedite the older bits demise. Get a spare and build it, that way its one and done. Btw... $5-7k seems like a lot... but in the Toyota 4AG world... a $5000 build only nets you an extra 40-50hp

This is the correct answer I think. I am going to see if I can find a slightly upgraded long block somewhere on Craigslist that I can go through ahead of time.

If I had a block and 7K though I could build a easy 550 rwhp motor off the car if I picked and choosed used.

Allegidly there is a 15% off coupon floating around for summit racing which would put the top end around 2.1K which is more in line with what I was hoping to spend on package.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/16/15 4:01 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: run what you have for now... source a replacement short block, build it from the crank up. Performance parts bolted to a tired older engine tends to expedite the older bits demise. Get a spare and build it, that way its one and done. Btw... $5-7k seems like a lot... but in the Toyota 4AG world... a $5000 build only nets you an extra 40-50hp
This is the correct answer I think. I am going to see if I can find a slightly upgraded long block somewhere on Craigslist that I can go through ahead of time. If I had a block and 7K though I could build a easy 550 rwhp motor off the car if I picked and choosed used. Allegidly there is a 15% off coupon floating around for summit racing which would put the top end around 2.1K which is more in line with what I was hoping to spend on package.

if you find that coupon post it up or PM me please. I'm thinking about purchasing a set of Pontiac aluminum heads and 15% off would be a nice chunk off the top.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
4/16/15 4:34 p.m.

My initial thought is to agree with the N/A people, but I don't think the blower idea should be dismissed immediately. If you have another 150 horsepower, you have another 150 horsepower worth of heat. Blower does seem to make it more obvious, I admit.

Adding enough compression, cam and head to make the same additional horsepower may very well involve another 1000 rpm, which is not without problems, either.

A blower will add power all through the curve, although a centrifugal one does kick harder at high rpm...my little B&M roots blower on a smog 350 makes first gear in a 700r4 with 4.11s almost completely useless.

Last point- wow, am I ever a contrarian. I come here to suggest the n/a, read the posts, and feel blowers need to be defended. FML.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/16/15 4:43 p.m.

Throw some mufflers on the side pipes too. I've seen some cobras that have them, so it's not impossible. Sort of ugly, but track solutions sometimes are.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
4/16/15 4:44 p.m.

Excited to see this built. Someday i will have cobra.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/16/15 5:16 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Throw some mufflers on the side pipes too. I've seen some cobras that have them, so it's not impossible. Sort of ugly, but track solutions sometimes are.

I can already see in my head something like this with the pufflers up towards the body at the end of the sidepipe.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
4/16/15 5:32 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: I have way way more cooling then I will ever need at this point.

Radiator cooling is not the same as charge air cooling. My friend and I both have Eaton/Roots superchargers on our Focuses. His is an M45 and mine is an M62. Toward the end of a 20 minute track session he starts losing power due to heatsoak of the intake air charge. I don't have that problem. The difference is that I have an air to water intercooler on mine and he does not have an intercooler.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
4/16/15 5:44 p.m.

This gets my vote as well.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/16/15 6:25 p.m.

I may have missed others mentioning it, but the NA setup will also be significantly less weight than a supercharger, IC, piping, etc.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
4/17/15 6:54 a.m.

I've watched a FFR cobra click off high tens repeatedly and effortlessly with a non-exotic 347 build.

I'm fairly sure the stock 302 blocks won't hold 550whp long: what did you have in mind?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/17/15 8:03 a.m.

I have a third option, buy a used performance 5.0 engine with about 350 hp from a racer that's switching cars or quitting that's been dyno'ed and tested.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/17/15 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

That probably makes more sense.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/17/15 10:03 a.m.

Why not just spend ~$3000-4000 on a fresh 350hp crate motor and be done with it?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/17/15 10:15 a.m.

Easy Button 400hp solution with minimal downtime.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3474ctc/overview/make/ford

You can get it without all the accessories for less and retain your EFI as well if you wanted to.

Hell, scroll down this until you find the price/power/features you want. http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/engines-components/section/engine-assemblies/make/ford/engine-family/ford-small-block-windsor?N=4294949512%2B4294881857%2B4294869887%2B4294951399&PageSize=100&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Desc

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/18/15 12:51 p.m.

Crate motor it is. Supercharger will not fit and I have tondo the bottom end for the trick flow package

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
4/18/15 12:55 p.m.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned GT40-P heads and a cam yet.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/18/15 1:47 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned GT40-P heads and a cam yet.

IF I can snag a set less then 500$ with the manifold I will do this in the short term just for fun.

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
4/20/15 10:25 a.m.

Something else to consider is the power curve. Forced induction tends to ramp up exponentially vs linearly. While that's a lot of fun on the street, it's not so great mid corner as you trying to feed the power in.

I love the extra power the turbo adds to my Miata, but I'd much rather have the same power N/A.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
4/20/15 10:53 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Its kinda funny, I've always wanted to build a Cobra with a Shelby-Dodge turbocharged 4-cylinder and oddly enough they can make similar power fairly reliably and with less weight. Put a Shelby valve cover on there and you could really throw people for a loop :)

What are the rules for the class - does it have to be original engine (assuming this isn't an original Cobra)?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/15 11:31 a.m.

In reply to wspohn:

Its a Factory Five replica and since he's talking about either a Paxton blower, I'd suspect he's running a track-day car which has no particular class structure.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
4/20/15 11:55 a.m.

There's a guy on a Mustang forum who road races a supercharged 4.6L S197. The amount of cooling he needs for both the engine and the air intake is mind-boggling.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M5EfZjGYKgL5y0UbG5UGB6x4CFxAFSyU1Zn6327OLPvIJpn1VYluEu5yJozoGPw0