1 2 3 4 5
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/30/15 1:43 p.m.

Jalopnik applied their own editing to the picture. This is our clearest look yet.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/30/15 2:10 p.m.

hybrid incorporated in the block? might make for a long hood

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
9/30/15 2:14 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: hybrid incorporated in the block? might make for a long hood

That's what I thought when someone mentioned hybrid too. Ordinarily I have nearly zero interest in a rotary, but that concept makes some sense given the small size and high rev potential of a wankel. The body lines in the image are gorgeous. I'm certainly paying attention, that's for sure.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
9/30/15 2:42 p.m.

Cosmo, <3

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
9/30/15 2:47 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: I can only see one exhaust tip. Must be underpowered.

Needs a straight six.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/15 2:53 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: hybrid incorporated in the block? might make for a long hood

That would result in a wide engine rather than a long one - like the McLaren P1.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/30/15 2:55 p.m.

Correct me if mistaken, but the wankel might be able to be made better efficiency-wise (and emission-wise) in steady state (one set RPM) operation and the small size would lead to it being a good APU (Aux Power Unit) for an electric, meaning it runs like a generator for the battery and all drive is electric.

Wonder if thats what they have done here.

GameboyRMH
9/30/15 2:57 p.m.

^You're exactly correct, that's why I said it made sense. A rotary is most efficient running flat-out at full power.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/30/15 2:58 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
That would result in a wide engine rather than a long one - like the McLaren P1.

not sure about the McLaren... but I'm assuming the hybrid unit is driven off the end of the eccentric shaft between the rotary and the transmission

GameboyRMH
9/30/15 3:18 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
not sure about the McLaren... but I'm assuming the hybrid unit is driven off the end of the eccentric shaft between the rotary and the transmission

It could work like that, but it would make the whole drivetrain much longer instead of just slightly wider. On the McLaren, the electric motor mounts much like a starter normally would, but it's bolted to both the block and the bellhousing, and it's geared onto one of two flywheels.

It has two flywheels and clutches in series - one works as usual, disconnecting the gearbox from everything else, and the other disconnects the engine from everything else. The electric motor's flywheel is in the middle. So the first clutch is just there to let you drive in electric-only mode.

(IIRC the second clutch is a two-clutch pack for even & odd gears to allow seamless robotized shifting)

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/15 3:21 p.m.

I predict it will have a FCA turbo 4 pot turned sideways and go after the Frisbee twins accordingly.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/30/15 3:48 p.m.

Hmm.... could it be? Damn it! I think I've been highjacked!

NickD
NickD Reader
9/30/15 4:01 p.m.

Hmmm, kinda like the Honda Integrated Motor Assist that mounted off the back of the bellhousing? Use the electric motor to give it some low-end oomph maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mazda swear off the rotary a while back?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/15 4:58 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Jalopnik applied their own editing to the picture. This is our clearest look yet.

Am I the only one seeing a LOT of FD RX-7 influence in the tail lights?

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
9/30/15 4:59 p.m.

If there's one car that will pass the DB meter at (your racetrack here), it's an electric sports car with a rotary generator running at max RPM / full throttle. That won't be loud. Like, at all.

D2W
D2W Reader
9/30/15 5:37 p.m.

My pants are tentish

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/15 5:50 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: If there's one car that will pass the DB meter at (your racetrack here), it's an electric sports car with a rotary generator running at max RPM / full throttle. That won't be loud. Like, at all.

If it's a fairly steady RPM, active noise cancelling technology could be employed to great effect. But if there's not a direct ratio of engine noise to go-pedal, I'd think that it would be rather off-putting in terms of visceral effect.

NickD
NickD Reader
9/30/15 6:15 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: Jalopnik applied their own editing to the picture. This is our clearest look yet.
Am I the only one seeing a LOT of FD RX-7 influence in the tail lights?

You are not alone

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/15 6:19 p.m.

This could play out like déjà vu all over again…would that make it vujà dé?

After driving my FC RX-7 for sixteen years and 286,000 miles, I gave up on waiting for Mazda to offer a suitable replacement.

I put my RX-7 into storage, bought my wife a new Explorer, and moved into her old Civic to serve as a lifeboat to hold me over until somebody offered a car I was passionate about. Mazda eventually came out with the RX-8 which I eagerly snatched up and drove for nine years and 242,000 miles until two weeks ago when its engine started going.

Not being passionate about anything that’s currently on the market, I traded in my RX-8 on a new Explorer for my wife and moved into her old Explorer to serve as a lifeboat to hold me over until…

I’d be interested to know what Mazda’s average cycle time is between concept debut and commercial availability. The Civic served as a lifeboat for two years, is it realistic to think Mazda could have something in the showrooms in a similar amount of time.

I’d also be interested to know what percent of Mazda’s car show eye candy ultimately goes into production.

Perhaps it doesn’t matter as this pretty clearly looks like a two seater and I need four seats.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/15 7:41 p.m.

Am I seeing some sort of Toyobaru competitor? Did I make the wrong choice? On the edge of my seat...OK not really, but interested. Especially if Keith and folks make a LS Juan kit...

daeman
daeman Reader
9/30/15 7:52 p.m.

Almost looks like a homage to the series one rx7 with the long hood and sloping back

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/15 7:55 p.m.

Why so? Replace the flywheel with an electric motor. Done.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/30/15 7:55 p.m.

There is a nice chub in my pants for this, and I have no issues telling people this.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/15 7:58 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Correct me if mistaken, but the wankel might be able to be made better efficiency-wise (and emission-wise) in steady state (one set RPM) operation and the small size would lead to it being a good APU (Aux Power Unit) for an electric, meaning it runs like a generator for the battery and all drive is electric. Wonder if thats what they have done here.

Audi's been working on that. Stick a ~30hp APU under the trunk.

Well, Audi DOES own NSU.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/30/15 9:07 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: I predict it will have a FCA turbo 4 pot turned sideways and go after the Frisbee twins accordingly.

I sincerely hope so. Much more interested in that than in a rotary-hybrid thing...and sounds much more affordable.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9QZG7EBczTvgESBND18lf4jdQt9JPGhajeR8dF6uKS19ApryKeZv9R96TOefooMM