1 2 3 4 5
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/15 9:43 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I'm bugging Coleman for confirmation as we speak.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/15 10:02 p.m.

I wonder how many people will be disappointed if it turns out to be a hardtop Miata with a DISI 2.3 turned up to, oh, slightly more power than the Ecoboost Mustang.

Was reading C&D's review of the new Miata. The performance comparison bars left me shocked. Ecoboost Mustang has twice the power, is cheaper, and is better on every metric. Yes, they are kinda-sorta a different demographic, but CRIMINY. If there were a car with the Mustang performance and Miata dimensions, and didn't have the onus of being a convertible (favorite quote: "I'm not bald enough to voluntarily own a convertible") then I'd be all over it.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/30/15 10:10 p.m.

I won't be disappointed, I'll be happy. I love the Miata's handling and like the interior but will never buy one so long as it doesn't come with a permanent fixed roof. And more power would always be nice. Always said that if Mazda would come out with a Mazdaspeed Miata fastback, I'd be all over it (a year or two used, of course, lol).

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/15 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I don't think I'd be disappointed, at all...with the same power as the Ecoboost and Miata dimensions it would outperform the 'Stang. Might not even need much help from Keith...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/15 11:05 p.m.

There will always be the guys who want more.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/15 11:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: There will always be the guys who want more.

Well of course...but more and overkill are two different things.

As a side note: FM should diversify and get into the FRS/BRZ market...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 5:01 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
Well of course...but more and overkill are two different things.

More is just more. One person's overkill is another person's not enough.

My favorite was the GN engine we put together that made something like 1800hp. Guy played with it for a while, then took it out because it just wasn't enough. Wanted 2500.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
10/1/15 5:28 a.m.
irish44j wrote: I won't be disappointed, I'll be happy. I love the Miata's handling and like the interior but will never buy one so long as it doesn't come with a permanent fixed roof. And more power would always be nice. Always said that if Mazda would come out with a Mazdaspeed Miata fastback, I'd be all over it (a year or two used, of course, lol).

Me too, except I'd buy one new. Are you listening Mazda?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
10/1/15 5:53 a.m.

Thank goodness Mazda stuck with the original formula and kept the new Miata light and (relatively) simple. I think they hit a home run with the ND. Hopefully this new car will be the one everyone wants with a fixed top and more power.

NickD
NickD Reader
10/1/15 7:16 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I wonder how many people will be disappointed if it turns out to be a hardtop Miata with a DISI 2.3 turned up to, oh, slightly more power than the Ecoboost Mustang.

Unfortunately, Mazda said that the Miata isn't going to get a Mazdaspeed variant. They said if you wanted more power you would have to go elsewhere.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 7:55 a.m.

I hope it is a BR-Z/FRS competitor with 250hp.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/15 8:09 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Knurled wrote: I wonder how many people will be disappointed if it turns out to be a hardtop Miata with a DISI 2.3 turned up to, oh, slightly more power than the Ecoboost Mustang.
Unfortunately, Mazda said that the Miata isn't going to get a Mazdaspeed variant. They said if you wanted more power you would have to go elsewhere.

I bet if you asked them in 1998 if the NB would have a Mazdaspeed variant, you'd probably get a similar answer.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/15 8:11 a.m.

If i had to make my own wild guess with no basis in reality or logic, i'd say this is going to be more like a 370Z competitor, probably with slightly less power and a bunch less weight.

Power will come from one of the following three things:

1) A variant of the 16-X rotary that actually works! They've been working on this without telling anyone and just wanted to drop a bomb
2) 2.5 Skyactive with forced induction
3) Time to play with V6s again. They've made some great ones, time to do it again but with Skyactive things.

captdownshift
10/1/15 9:02 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

It's in the 225-230 range, a reflash will get it to 250 with ease though.

captdownshift
10/1/15 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

You now have me wanting a nonexistent skyactiv V6.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/15 9:09 a.m.

Is this a concept or an actual car they plan to make and sell?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/15 9:12 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: You now have me wanting a nonexistent skyactiv V6.

Right? I'm thinking the old JE-DOHC, but updated with 13:1 compression and some modern trick valvetrain and aluminum block. Should easily do 300hp.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/1/15 9:21 a.m.

I don't think it will be a rotary. But direct injection allows funny thing s to happen

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/1/15 9:23 a.m.

I'd take a 200 hp 1.8 liter V6 with a 10k rpm limit for the sound it would probably make.

captdownshift
10/1/15 9:29 a.m.

And with cylinder deactivation (I know but hear me out for CAFE realism) 35+ highway mpg

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/15 9:43 a.m.

I think that Mazda's shut the door on V-6s. I hope that it's either the hybrid or a nice turbo.

One thing that I also wonder about, and this ties into the VW thread: I imagine that Diesels can be made less polluting if they operate under very strict parameters. What about using a tiny turbo diesel as the IC source for an electric-driven hybrid?

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/1/15 9:54 a.m.

I don't know what old equipment Mazda has hanging around but I doubt they want to tool up a line to build a different block these days. I see rotary before a V6.

I hope this thing is more G35/xk coupe and less Altima Coupe.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/1/15 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Kreb:

Diesel Rotary hybrid?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
10/1/15 10:07 a.m.

I see diesel i6. Guys, what were they just doing in le mans with a speed6? Lol.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 10:08 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
Well of course...but more and overkill are two different things. As a side note: FM should diversify and get into the FRS/BRZ market...

We get phone calls for 300 hp NA/NB turbo kits on a regular basis. Why? Because guys read that we have 250 hp versions available, and they decide they need...more. Not based on anything other than "everybody can buy the 250 hp kit, so I need 300". So no matter what Mazda comes out with, there will be guys looking for more.

We have diversified, we just added a brand new platform to our lineup for 2016

There was a Mazdaspeed Miata available for about 18 months out of 26 years of production. It was actually quite good to us, as there were lots of guys who wanted more We'll see what happens there. I generally don't play the guessing game, I just wait to see what I have to work with.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q5fmb4C3HsWgz7XVcR1A67xg04bAfaNNWacVxymeK7oWNP45QiWS4qyOHsuKfYad