BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
10/3/14 4:57 p.m.

SWMBO has blown my mind twice in the past week. First, by suggesting we go car shopping. Second, by saying, "you could get another Miata and a different car to drive year round so you don't have to get snow tires for the Miata." Lets just say I was shocked.

NC Miata or S2000 is going to end up as the fun car (she has approved either, apparently an RX-8 looks too much like a "sports car"), but I am stuck on what to get for the "regular" car. At the moment I am thinking a well cared for e46 330i or an early model e90 (325i, 328i or 330i) in the 8-12k neighborhood. Anyone have any thoughts on late e46 or early e90? Thanks...

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/3/14 5:11 p.m.

No suggestions here...But your wife's comments on the RX-8 vs S2k/Miata are particularly enjoyable and well timed, considering the current thread about what defines a "sports car".

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
10/3/14 5:50 p.m.

Personally, I think the e46 is the nicest looking and classiest 3 series so I'd go for a 6 speed manual 330i of that chassis. Might also look at the 5 series too. you might actually find them cheaper and better cared for than a 3 series.

Since I have never had any luck with german cars, I'd be looking at other cars like the Cadillac CTS, Mazda3 or 6, maybe a new Hyuandai with the 6 speed for a reliable, fuel efficient, all weather DD.

old_
old_ Reader
10/3/14 6:08 p.m.

ZHP 330i

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
10/3/14 7:57 p.m.

e46 is by far the best bang for the buck right now. Too new to be classic, too old to be new. Prices are E36 M3

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/3/14 10:04 p.m.

I would say that it depends on how you drive. If you have curvy roads near your house that you will hustle the car on weekly, get the e46. If you just putt around town, get the best riding one.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
10/3/14 10:06 p.m.

Kitchen need remodeling?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
10/4/14 1:34 a.m.

I read the title and immediately thought, "lies" or "drugs" or "BS".

That's of course, because I am beyond jealous; my SWMBO says "over my dead body". Well, usually....

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
10/4/14 9:30 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote: I read the title and immediately thought, "lies" or "drugs" or "BS". That's of course, because I am beyond jealous; my SWMBO says "over my dead body". Well, usually....

Haha, I would have thought the same. No kitchen remodel is coming up either, but there may be "babies" in the next year. Which has me a bit suspicious.

The reason I am leaning toward e46/e90 (or something with a bit more life to the driving experience) is that I made the mistake a while back of getting "the practical car" (2010 Prius). It has absolutely sucked the joy out of driving and I don't want to have that experience again. We will still be keeping the Prius as SWMBO's car to use for hauling or road trips.

The 330i ZHP seems like it would be great, but is it really worth the premium over the 330i with ZSP? I believe 04-05 330i still had the 6 speed?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/4/14 9:57 a.m.

Test drive both of them to see if it's worth it for you.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/4/14 12:05 p.m.

I don't think the premium is that large any more. When I bought my 325i ZSP, the ZHP was more than $5k more expensive. I would have bought a 330i ZSP, but I literally couldn't find one east of the Mississippi.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/4/14 12:20 p.m.

Datsun310Guy wrote:

Kitchen need remodeling?

OR WORSE! Is she looking for a new house?

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/4/14 12:22 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: No suggestions here...But your wife's comments on the RX-8 vs S2k/Miata are particularly enjoyable and well timed, considering the current thread about what defines a "sports car".

You mean that 4 passenger GT?

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
10/7/14 12:11 p.m.

Update: Going to drive manuals of the following tonight: e46 330i, e90 328i, 2008 TSX, 2006 A4.

I will post with my impressions later today or tomorrow.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
10/7/14 12:49 p.m.

Personally, I don't think the ZHP is worth the money. It's an appearance package, some interior bits (that are admittedly dead sexy), and a 6-speed. Oh, and cams and some really minor suspension bits. It doesn't have an LSD or anything really nice that would justify the insane premium they command. $2k over a regular car? Yeah, maybe. $5k? Hell no.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/7/14 12:52 p.m.
OldGray320i wrote: That's of course, because I am beyond jealous; my SWMBO says "over my dead body". Well, usually....

Who's dead body, it could always be arranged, err I mean she had an accident.
Note. By saying NO on many occasions my wife has saved me from a life of automotive induced financial ruin so no dead body needed for me.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
10/7/14 1:23 p.m.

Give me multiples of sports/GT/performance cars or give me death!

Unfortunately, I'm no Patrick Henry, and I've gotten neither. In a bad/good sort of way, I'm ok with it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
10/7/14 1:51 p.m.

I read the title and the first thought that went through my head was she was limiting you down to only two vehicles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xUTPLisB87ElQwLI9yj1LekmnV7NUxnI08n55B1ZFZ4d5C9cgG8PamLL01YTY4Os