1 2
thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Where did you get the gt500 brakes?  I have heard of this swap and always wanted to do it.

I can't say how l much  I love my 06 gt.  I have had the car since new, learned to auto cross in it, (still learning) and done 95% of the work myself.  I have a kenne bell blower on it and I went with a vorshlag suspension set up.  I also put in the schroth quick belts.

I don't see how you can go wrong, especially since they are so cheap now.  I think this is going to be the new fox body.  There is crazy aftermarket support for these cars.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/9/19 9:16 a.m.

Ford big brake kits

I went with a used 04 cobra setup for my Fox, used GT500s are out there, just have to be patient.  Craigslist, ebay and mustang forums are how I find used parts.

thedoc
5/9/19 9:51 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

OK, thanks.  I had someone tell me that they were offered  at advance auto or something.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/19 10:02 a.m.

Is there a good"what to buy/look for" on the S197 somewhere?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/10/19 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

How many $20s are in $3700, that's my two day total for sales.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/10/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to thedoc :

Brembos at Rockauto

four piston Ford also.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/10/19 8:33 a.m.

There are known issues with the shifting.  A friend of mine just bought an 08 GT350 and took it to the dragstrip last weekend.  He’s been drag racing since the 70’s, so he knows what he’s doing.  It would not go cleanly into fourth at all.  A LOT of the V8 cars have that problem.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/10/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

He needs to ditch the remote mount shifter and get one that mounts it to the trans, or get some stiffer motor and trans mounts.

It is a real problem, but can be cured.

thedoc
5/13/19 6:51 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Thanks Man!

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/14/19 12:29 p.m.

So after the purchase price of the car, wheels, suspension, and ten hours of my time.  I'll have about $13000 into this.  I hope it's still a good idea.  The PO put about $6000 in to the exhaust and motor.  It's still a very clean 27,000 mile car. 

It will have the suspension that I want under it with the wheels that I like in a shape that I like.  After a little looking there's not much out there that compares.  Except for a used CTSV or Vette, with more miles on it, and I can't haul all of my kids in a Vette.

fusion66
fusion66 New Reader
5/17/19 6:05 a.m.

Very pleased with how the S197 did at TNIA number one for the year. The only concern I had was braking was not confidence inspiring and I blame that on my pad selection. I chose a track/street pad that I later received feedback on from others is more of a street pad. I had upgraded to the larger 2011+ rotors and added 3" cooling ducts which I am sure helped but the pads themselves were not up to the task. Trying to decide if I should just upgrade pads or switch to the 4 piston Brembos and upgraded pads. I assume you are thinking Brembos?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/17/19 8:54 a.m.

My choice for front brakes.

I'll probably wait for a good used set to show up.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
6/4/19 6:31 a.m.
thedoc said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

Where did you get the gt500 brakes?  I have heard of this swap and always wanted to do it.

I don't see how you can go wrong, especially since they are so cheap now.  I think this is going to be the new fox body.  There is crazy aftermarket support for these cars.

You can find them just about everywhere. Check Ebay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist. There are tons out there. You can also get 4 piston Brembos from any 2005-2018 car. All the "track pack", "performance pack" and Shelby cars have the 4 or 6 piston Brembos that will fit the earlier cars(check caliper to wheel clearance). They all use the same knuckles and caliper bolt spacing up front so they are a direct bolt on.

I didnt install dust shields and instead made my own brake ducts using 3" speaker port tubes grafted into the front lower grille, some 3" high temp brake duct hose and a set of stock GT backing plates cut down and with 3" metal tube(think it was exhaust tube) cut and welded to the face of the backing plate aimed toward the hub. Whole setup including the GT500 Brembos cost less than $500 and a weekends time.

Look under 2007 Mustang w/ 5.4L engine on Rock Auto:
GT500 Calipers are $83 each INCLUDING core.
Caliper hardware kit for $6.79 each caliper.
Rotors - $34.79 each

On amazon:
3" speaker port tubes - $11.91 each(get 2)
3" brake duct hose - 10' for $59.99

get 3" thin wall muffler tube and cut a 2-1/2" long section off, cut down your stock dust shield and weld the 3" exhaust tube to the dust shield where it will direct air at the hub/center of the rotors. Paint the whole thing after to prevent rust.

I ran this for years on my 05 GT and it worked flawlessly. Ill see if i can dig up pictures.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
6/4/19 6:32 a.m.
akylekoz said:

My choice for front brakes.

I'll probably wait for a good used set to show up.

ROCK AUTO! See my last post. With everything youre well under the $1000 it costs for that kit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4UC3lJr4HFcKageen7ExZwRqkMVXzfaF4hnnBGSIEC9nxxrfCRWdOFzN6CyNKVIx