1 2 3 4 ... 6
Opti
Opti HalfDork
3/6/16 8:44 p.m.

My vote is viper or R8 V10. I like P cars, especially the turbos, but personally Id want the Viper or R8 in red.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/6/16 8:48 p.m.

Personally I would have a ruff time in that price range between the viper and 911 GT3.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
3/6/16 8:48 p.m.

No way the viper is cheaper to maintain - google is your friend.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/6/16 9:55 p.m.

My only suggestion would be to research ims bearing failure for that year, not sure if that's got the upgraded piece but I know you can reference the engine number to find out.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/16 9:57 p.m.

Turbos don't have an IMS.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/6/16 10:02 p.m.

Ah, my lack of water cooled experience is showing

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
3/7/16 9:12 a.m.

That 911 turbo can do anything. Moon shot, cure cancer, balance the budget. Wrap it in matte black and invade communist countries.

If the price is that good, buy it, wrap it like this:

and if you do get tired of it (?!?!?!!?) then sell it and buy something else.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/7/16 9:45 a.m.
AutoXR wrote: No way the viper is cheaper to maintain - google is your friend.

I've always heard the viper is one of the cheapest to maintain. I never had any issues with mine just changed the oil and drove.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/16 12:14 p.m.

Some of the carbon fiber trim didn't hold up well in the earlier cars, otherwise its bulletproof.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/16 4:30 p.m.

I'd go with the white Viper as it looks so fantastic in person and you never see them around, but you can't go wrong either way.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
3/7/16 5:06 p.m.

Turbos HAVE an IMS but the case is base on the 964 just like the GT1 and the GT3. Totally different engine. So, no ims problems but, like all other 911s up to the 997.2, it has an ims.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/7/16 7:45 p.m.

Another silver 911 does about zero for me. I vote you do something out of the box. Plus those wheels are gross.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/7/16 8:01 p.m.

I'm not emotionally excited by the 911. I know how good it is, but it doesn't make me want to sell one of my kids to get it.
The Viper isn't as good on paper, but it makes my floppy bits feel all tingly.

physician
physician New Reader
3/7/16 8:16 p.m.

I dont think that 997 has a bad color. I think it have bad wheels!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/16 8:21 p.m.

No. I will not talk you out of it.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/7/16 8:34 p.m.

I like the 997tt....incredible car. I fell like silver is a great color on 911s, but one of mine is silver, so I guess I'm a little biased.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/16 8:55 a.m.
physician wrote: I dont think that 997 has a bad color. I think it have bad wheels!

I tend to agree that I hate the wheels on the car that the OP is considering.

STM317
STM317 Reader
3/8/16 9:11 a.m.

For an almost daily driver, the 911 Turbo seems pretty perfect. It's not outlandish enough to catch every single eye that it passes, it's remarkably civil in normal driving, but it still has "Exotic" levels of performance when you want it. Seems like the logical choice.

That white T/A looks the business though in my opinion, will make fun noises and there won't be many T/As made at the rate they're crawling off of lots. Seems like the "inner 10 year old's" choice.

I'm not sure you can go wrong honestly.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/16 10:09 a.m.

berkeley the budget and buy both

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/8/16 11:26 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: berkeley the budget and buy both

Don't start with me like that.

Did some test driving, the 997.2 Turbo in the PDK is a unholy beast of speed, still comfortable enough to drive every day and no cowl shake in the convertible but 90-93K for a good one with smart optioning and a warranty.

The 997.1 in the manual is significantly slower even at 9/10ths shifting. They gave me a salesman with some track experiance so we had some fun. The tiptronic is perfect for a DD but after driving the PDK I could not live with it.

The biggest thing is it is just not fun, its just speed and refinement. Which when you look at a car that is going to rack up the miles actually meets my requirements. But the speed, the speed, is amazing. They have to have underrated these cars from the factory, they must be putting 500-510 to the wheels in the new motor.

FYI the 991 Turbo S is on another planet. the 2007 997.1 car which is 10 years old right now would stomp a 2012 V10 R8 into the ground, the direct injection motor on the 997.2 is great, the tuning on the 991 Turbo S is otherworldly. Full boost for something like 1300rpm. It will drop 4 gears in like 1/10th of a second. The over-boost function is not needed.

Color still bugs me, need to sleep on this. Compared to the Gen V viper the Turbo is faster, more comfortable and does every single thing that a DD needs to do better. Except that sense of fun.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/16 11:51 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

Think of it this way: If you accidentally found yourself in the midst of an illegal street race between your silver 911 and someone else in a Viper, you can take solace in the 90%+ odds that the cops will go after the louder/brighter/slower Viper, while you quietly slink off into the sea bland metallic sedans.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/8/16 12:08 p.m.

Your going to laugh but there is a Macadamia nut brown 2011 for sale locally that I am going to go look at. something about a brown 911 turbo I kind of like.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/8/16 1:28 p.m.

If you don't want a full vinyl wrap then just add some accent

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/8/16 1:39 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Your going to laugh but there is a Macadamia nut brown 2011 for sale locally that I am going to go look at. something about a brown 911 turbo I kind of like.

Yes, get this one. Brown and 911 goes together like... something that goes good together.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/16 2:03 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Your going to laugh but there is a Macadamia nut brown 2011 for sale locally that I am going to go look at. something about a brown 911 turbo I kind of like.

Everytime I cruise through the Porsche dealer here in DC Ms. Service sees a Macadamia Nut 911/Cayman and goes "that's pretty", never fails. It's one of those colors that looks great in person but just doesn't translate to photos as well.

But yes picking brown over silver does make you look like a bit of a...

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nsHVieIGOazNguVU53fIg7NkpHfr9YrOt4zhsLxkNWOxZJD3dNLhak7oOxHwTFDq