http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR1DYNJuMuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5mAxHxTETU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbo-u9MLVRc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7GD7CiAMT0

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/09 3:01 p.m.

So...

Do I end up on a phone call with a divorce lawyer tonight or do I just have to sleep on the couch?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/16/09 3:05 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: So... Do I end up on a phone call with a divorce lawyer tonight or do I just have to sleep on the couch?

BE...A...MAN......and sleep on the couch.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
6/16/09 3:09 p.m.

You do all know there is one in the classifieds board, right?

And I have some Momo wheels that might fit (assuming it's a 5 bolt pattern).

E-

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/16/09 4:48 p.m.

Unless it has alfetta hubs for some reason, it would be 5x98

m4ff3w
6/16/09 8:01 p.m.

As long as the XR4ti sells before, the wife has no issues. I need to get up there and snag a closer inspection of the Milano now.

m4ff3w
6/16/09 10:43 p.m.

Crap. Car is a no-go, I think. The rear quarters are bent. They said it was from the way a tow-truck lifted it.

And I got all excited and now I'm depressed. Lame.

m4ff3w
6/16/09 10:46 p.m.

I'll continue my search for a semi-local cheap Milano though.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
6/16/09 10:57 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Crap. Car is a no-go, I think. The rear quarters are bent. They said it was from the way a tow-truck lifted it. And I got all excited and now I'm depressed. Lame.

Tow truck eh. Interesting explanation.

Hey, I have this bridge for sale...

m4ff3w
6/17/09 8:41 a.m.

I did find another Milano:

Seller has this to say about the Milano:

'87 Alfa Romeo Milano 2.5 liter 15" wheels MagnaCore wires 7.5 Dry tensioner Blaupunt Colorado with in trunk changer running when parked 155,000 mi. title in hand 2nd gear syncro weak Center flex joint bad PS leak [slow] Brake leak [proportioning valve and rear caliper - slow] A/C problem unknown Alfa control center disabled Rough interior [mostly stains and door panel arm rest ] $700.

Should I run?

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
6/17/09 8:49 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Unless it has alfetta hubs for some reason, it would be 5x98

Mine are from our 164, and I think it's the same pattern. And I have seen a handful of 4 bolt Milanos- always confused me.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
6/17/09 8:55 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Should I run?

Honestly sounds exactly like the Gold we bought about 5 years ago, when we considered saving money up for the upcoming Alfas by selling our 164LS. We held it for a while, but sold it to a friend when we figured that it was better to drive the 164 into the ground (and now it may qualify for the cash to clunkers program).

For the A/C- we converted it to Freeze 12, but I think the R134 conversions will work ok. It turned out to have remaining R12 in it, so we properly evacuated it before moving on.

P/s- find the leak, and fix it. Our leaked too, and stunk. It eventually failed. No idea how hard it is to fix.

You can probably rebuild or replace the rear caliper (and the metal lines around it- my Alfetta had that problem), and APE can find you a replacemnet porportioning valve.

Interior... that's up to you- parts ARE hard to come by.

$700 sounds like a decent deal if you can drive home with it.

Good luck with this addiction. You are Always Looking For Another, right?

Eric

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/17/09 10:24 a.m.

Run away. I see well over $1k of stuff that needs fixing from their description.

-replace the timing belt tensioner with a factory one ($100)

-Replace the timing belt, cam seals, and water pump as well $250 or so by the time you get the tools and parts.

-New proportioning valve ($200)

-Rebuild rear calipers ($20?)

-new steering rack ($600) or new ps pump ($500)

If that sounds ok to you, then go ahead and buy it though. A semi cheap milano is one someone has been driving regularly rather than letting it sit (and keeping the maintiance up to date) and selling for around $2k. The $500 ones can turn into a major project before you even drive it. The bent one would probably be ok as long as you dont care how it looks, as long as the back doors still open properly. There isnt really anything important back there that would have been damaged from it being hit.

One other thing i forgot, when you buy one DO NOT turn the heater fan on until you remove the entire dash, remove the heater box, dump all of the leaves out, and make a screen to put in the cowl area to keep it from filling up with leaves again. More than a few of them have caught on fire from leaves in the heater box, there was even a recall to have a screen installed i think.

-New driveshaft flex joints and center support bearing, since you dont want to do that job more than once if you can avoid it ($450)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/17/09 11:08 a.m.

Am i the only person that just isn't turned on in the slightest by these cars?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/17/09 11:10 a.m.

I'm the same way, but it's almost entirely out of fear.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/17/09 11:13 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: I'm the same way, but it's almost entirely out of fear.

Yeah, me too. My mind is saying "Maserati Bi-Turbo...stay away".

And then I see something shiny, and forget about wh

m4ff3w
6/17/09 11:26 a.m.
JFX001 wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: I'm the same way, but it's almost entirely out of fear.
Yeah, me too. My mind is saying "Maserati Bi-Turbo...stay away". And then I see something shiny, and forget about wh

I could not possibly resist a Bi-Turbo.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/17/09 12:21 p.m.

When I bought my milano, i had driven e30s and mk2 vws becasue of the things i had heard people say about them, but i was rather disapointed. The milano turned out to be more like what I was expecting with the other cars. I can see that alot of people wouldnt like how they look, or not be able to maintain one, but it would supprise me for someone who likes sports cars to drive one and not like it.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/09 12:30 p.m.

I still can't believe that ALL of those cars were rear ended before leaving the port and NEVER fixed.

m4ff3w
6/17/09 9:29 p.m.

I'm going to pass on both of these examples. I'll own a Milano (or GTV6) some day.

Luke
Luke Dork
6/17/09 9:43 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Am i the only person that just isn't turned on in the slightest by these cars?

Like Travis said, you really have to drive one to appreciate what they're all about. I always dismissed them as being strange, ugly and boring, until I drove one.

m4ff3w, keep an eye out on the Alfa BB classifieds .Cheap cars occasionally do pop up for sale on there.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/09 9:44 p.m.

talk you out of it:

FUGLY CAR!

m4ff3w
6/17/09 9:45 p.m.
Luke wrote: m4ff3w, keep an eye out on the Alfa BB classifieds .Cheap cars occasionally do pop up for sale on there.

Definitely will. I will own one, just not either of these two.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/09 10:03 a.m.

The Milano is a bit on the strange side, but they are cool. On a side note, in other parts of the world you could get that car with a turbo 4, 2 liter I think. That would be a sweet car. They also sold a 2 liter V6 turbo that I thought would be very cool in my GTV6 but my engine is good so I never really looked into it.

I am going to sell my GTV6, it has rust and I don't have the time or money to fix it, but I will have another one in the not too distant future, they kind of get under your skin and will not let you go.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/19/09 10:26 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Apparently I need to turn in my man card, I thought the OP was referring to one of the below Yeah, NOW I know that there's no 'o' in the name of the above...

Does it come with a free Jill Wagner? Yowza!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eugdgx9v4HuQsNty9IHPKZ9gKsxOE4jm0L9XRYZjyXY0D7huraEDZGptioJD4CUU