1 2
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/19 3:57 p.m.

Pictures here

CL ad here

86 Fiero GT, 99k on the car, 12k on the engine conversion.  364hp to the wheels could be lots of fun.

I'm going to go look at the car ASAP and really scrutinize it, but the guy seems like a straight shooter, and I would guess after 12k miles on the engine swap, likely any problems have either already popped up or have been addressed.

What do I need to know about Fieros in general?  How much coin would you offer?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/6/19 4:02 p.m.

Dang!  If you're in a position to buy that, then buy it you should, hmmmmm?

It looks sweet!

If it all works, the price actually sounds reasonable to me.  Sounds like he might take a little less.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
10/6/19 4:11 p.m.

I saw a couple at the local(ish) wrecking yard yesterday. One had been . . . en fuego.  A friend of mine had been into them for a while he had mentioned there was a fire issue. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/6/19 4:18 p.m.

That looks like a really good deal. The headlight conversion looks sweet too.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/19 4:22 p.m.

Came here to say buy it.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
10/6/19 4:31 p.m.

Fiero pricing is all over the place, and that is close to the top of the market. That being said, it’s a lot of car for the money if done right. I’m a vote for, do it. 

Curtis
10/6/19 4:45 p.m.

Enablers.  ALL OF YOU.  wink

I love you guys.

He's coming to my area (Harrisburg PA) for the swap meet this thursday, but not bringing the car.  He's only about 2 hours away around Philly.  Anyone around Philly want to do an initial look-see for me?

My hope is to be able to pop out to see it this week and if I want to buy I can have him bring it along on Thursday.

Curtis
10/6/19 4:47 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

I saw a couple at the local(ish) wrecking yard yesterday. One had been . . . en fuego.  A friend of mine had been into them for a while he had mentioned there was a fire issue. 

Yeah... over-hyped.  That was on the 84s with the 4-cyl.  I think the fuel lines liked to jiggle loose and spray gas all over creation.  Recall and future updates made it a non-issue.

Curtis
10/6/19 4:51 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Dang!  If you're in a position to buy that, then buy it you should, hmmmmm?

Well... I wouldn't say "in a position to buy," but close.  I had originally budgeted around $5k for a fun car (with $3500 coming from the sale of my Impala SS which hasn't sold yet.)  That way, it would only be about a $1500 out of pocket swing.  Now I'm thinking about buying an $8700 car without having sold the SS.  It would drain the beer fund, but I could do it.

Besides, who am I to argue with Yoda?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/19 5:00 p.m.

I don't like the color, but the car is clean and I always liked 2nd gens. Do it!!

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
10/6/19 5:37 p.m.

PULL THE TRIGGER!!!! and it aint a beige appliance....

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/6/19 5:58 p.m.
Curtis said:
L5wolvesf said:

Yeah... over-hyped.  That was on the 84s with the 4-cyl.  I think the fuel lines liked to jiggle loose and spray gas all over creation.  Recall and future updates made it a non-issue.

It was an owner issue.

3 qt sump gets a bit low and siezes a rod bearing. Rod pokes hole in oil pan above hot catalytic covertor, car on fire.

Also, silly owners park car with hot cat in dry grass. Car on fire.

You're not an idiot and the car no longer has it's original engine so problem solved.

Former owner of a once-on-fire Indy Fiero here.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
10/6/19 6:02 p.m.

That is a really cool car.

Not a fan of those wheels or that shift “knob”, but those are easy enough to change. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/19 6:06 p.m.

How hard would it be to swap the 88 suspension into an earlier car?

Curtis
10/6/19 7:36 p.m.
Slippery said:

I don't like the color, but the car is clean and I always liked 2nd gens. Do it!!

I LOVE the color.  It would be better as black or yellow, but that orange kinda gives me a stiffy.

Curtis
10/6/19 7:37 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

That is a really cool car.

Not a fan of those wheels or that shift “knob”, but those are easy enough to change. 

The wheels would likely stay unless I find the 18s to be too twitchy.  I can imagine it would spin me around quickly if I'm not careful.  Mid engine + short sidewalls = weeeeeee + ditch

And I agree on the knob.  It's gotta go.

Curtis
10/6/19 7:39 p.m.
ShawnG said:

You're not an idiot and the car no longer has it's original engine so problem solved.

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.  "you're not an idiot."

I'll try my best to prove you wrong wink

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/6/19 7:41 p.m.

What’s the black item in front of the left rear wheel on the body?

and is that a stick to hold up the engine hatch?

it looks pretty clean!  

Curtis
10/6/19 7:44 p.m.

I figured the hatch supports are toast and he didn't replace them.  They aren't cheap.

I'll have to ask about the black thing.

Curtis
10/6/19 7:59 p.m.

OMGeee.  I just realized that one of the photos in that gallery is actually a video.

Image result for jane i'll be in my bunk gif

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
10/6/19 8:32 p.m.

This posting has been deleted. 

Curtis, did you buy it? (please say yes) 

Curtis
10/6/19 8:49 p.m.

I just got an email that said, "I might have sold it to a guy in WA.  Check back in the morning."

Image result for nooooo gif

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/6/19 8:55 p.m.

I know where you can get an early 4-cylinder Fiero for 2 grand. Granted, it's not nearly as cool, but I drive past it on my way to work.

Edit: Price cut! Windshield said $1500 when I drove past this morning.

Curtis
10/7/19 9:34 a.m.

I emailed this morning.  He said he's waiting for the buyer's payment to post in his account, so it sounds like a done deal.

Image result for sad gif

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/7/19 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

overthinking things and hesitation are a hallmark of my life... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tgWtWHaI7MGKt9w1vZeIfEz211bOO0yGfamMHnRM2WSnT4zETWrLj4IfZhSfEC6r