1 ... 3 4 5
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/19/16 7:25 p.m.
jr10cross wrote: In reply to dyintorace: Thanks man.I was just about ready to delete my account. Much appreciated. Like I said, My love for the R went OC in the earlier comments. I meant no harm.

It's all good! Stick around...there are a lot of very smart, talented car folks here. Virtually all more talented and knowledgeable than me, that's for sure! And not just car stuff either. This really is my good to place to ask for help on any sort of project. Chances are there is an expert or two here...just ask!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 7:34 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Yep will do. Again much appreciated.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/19/16 9:02 p.m.

Whew! Stuck my head in here after a pm sent to me asking for mod help, and thought at first I was actually gonna have to mod us out of a really ugly place--but you guys don't disappoint, and worked it out.

Jr, welcome. If you look for offense I'm sure you can find it--lord knows I've seen some ignorantly misogynistic posts here, as everywhere--but that's usually because someone just has no reference to understand my journey or challenges. I don't think you can find another "public" place full of as many well-intentioned, truly smart and kind people. I hope you will follow suit. So yeah, back to the original topic...

Margie

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/20/16 4:49 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

Thx Marjorie

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
1/20/16 9:17 a.m.
jr10cross wrote:
dculberson wrote: I can't help it, I'm full of all these valuable life lessons. There's still some meat on that bone. Take it home, throw it in a pot with some vegetables -- baby, you got a stew goin'!
now that's racist. You've gone too far. I've never eaten neck bone simpleton. But all us blacks hold on too tight right? We're all over stressed for nothing right? We just need to calm down because everything is in our head. But this is all we're good for, a joke right. SMH you disgust me.

Oh man, I feel like a jerk. I honestly didn't know you are black, and I can really see how that could be offensive now. I was making a joking reference to Arrested Development, my intent was not to make any racist references, but if it came across that way I am very sorry. Honestly though Carl Weather's whole character in that show was one of my favorites, and I had hoped referencing it would lighten things up a bit. Again, I'm sincerely sorry that it came across wrong.

I still think you need to lighten up, but your choice, your life. I hope you enjoy yourself.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/20/16 6:10 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Thx, I've actually have never seen the show. I'm always working on a project so as soon as I sit in front of the TV I fall asleep. My wife hates me for it lol. I thought it was some senseless Internet meme or something. If you can tell from my profile I don't live in the most socially diverse area so it may be getting to me a little . My family is the .4 of the census report and there's a reason why.No harm no foul brotha. We're good! Sometimes things come across weird in text.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
1/20/16 9:46 p.m.

The s60r must be so bad that it has literally left everyone in a bad mood D:... jk. I would love me a nordic blue s60r 6speed. Is the haldex split mostly fwd? I know the t5's can be made to be quite quick. If I remember the autotragics were torque limited to protect the trans in the first two gears making the autos before a certain year dog slow.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/21/16 12:49 a.m.

In reply to seyhan3535:

So I have one of the dog slow ones from 05 with the geartronic. I needed a car and it fell in my lap at a deal. It's a little faster than the 7 sec 0-60 most put it at. Somewhere around the mid to late 6 second range. But the $700 ecu upgrade gets rid of the limiter and gives you a few extra ponies. Everyone has reported a consistent 5.3 to 5.5 0-60. Not bad for a $7k car in my book. Stay away from 06 when Volvo put in the 6-speed auto without the limiter. There was quite a bit of transmission failure.

No lie it went toe to toe with my buddy's 2012 535xi about 3 weeks ago. He just got the car and wanted to compare. It was dead even through most of it but the R was actually stronger over 130. I know this seems far fetched, I would doubt it too, but the R out performed a newer BMW with the same hp and a 5.5 0-60. My buddy knows how to drive to, so no advantage there.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/21/16 6:52 a.m.

One more thing, before we did the comparison my friend asked me to drive his car the day he got it, which was about 2 weeks prior. I took it through some twisties and noticed one thing that I had issue with. I don't think I like 8-speed transmissions. This is not a knock on BMW, I just don't know if I really like them at all.

Scenario: I'm coming up on an S curve and I want to grab 2nd because it a 30 mph and a little tight. I had to bump the stick 7,6,5,4,3. Wow that took effort and technique because you can get a little lost at what gear you're actually in. Yes, I know you will say, "Why are you in 8th gear anyway? if you on a back road why be in overdrive?" I would agree but the hp and torque is in a very narrow band with a lot of top-end fizzle. I found I just couldn't hold the gear and get the acceleration I was looking for. Again, I know that this isn't the performance BMW so I'm being a little harsh on it, but what the heck was wrong with 6 gears? lol Also, I like to hear an engine wind-out a bit, but it just wasn't conducive to getting the performance out of the car. I have to remember though that the engine sound is just a recording on the radio for the F10 Chassis.

Yes the R's transmission is a little slow, I can't deny that. If you put in in advanced mode, retard the DTSC, and drive it briskly a few times it sharpens some. But I wonder what is the real world difference from time lost constantly shifting with a smaller turbo to taller gears with a turbo that spools at the top end. I think the second should produce a slower car, but I just haven't observed it myself. Only thing that's got my drawers is a 2014 Challenger Yellow Jacket and I knew that was a going to be a loosing battle form the jump. lol it was pretty to see her drop it low though.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BUCzEXCRHNxljRJQSrXz24mdZ4gXIeOqH8A6oWfWPOhW8j2TBHD7F0T9wiuULJmP