petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/15 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

That's awesome, thanks!

petegossett
9/29/15 4:09 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Not going to happen this month - SWMBO works for the Feds & might be on furlough until the budget gets approved - if it does happen with a leftover 2015 it'll be whatever damn color I can find with Recaros & nothing else.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
9/29/15 7:31 p.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: A fiesta ST test drive was enough to convince me to buy a new one - and I've ALWAYS been a (well) used car buyer. It hit the perfect combination of fuel economy, fun and price. I've had it about a week and love it. I'm 5' 8", and fit in the back fine. (3 door)

My only peeve against the FiST is that we don't get the 3 door...I'm 5'9 with long legs, short tiny doors piss me off to no end.

FWIW, I had 3 5'8" passengers in the Abarth yesterday and a 50lb bag of doge food in the boot. Surprisingly we had plenty of room.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/15 6:58 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I need to check out the dsg. I've been getting stuck in traffic a lot more often on my commute. It might be the only no third pedal I could tolerate.

The DSG is great not because it's an automatic, but because it gets rid of a lot of the problems with manual transmissions.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/30/15 7:31 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Now that Congress, which uses brinksmanship as an operating principle, seems ready to keep the government running

I would go and buy one today.

Upside of working for the patent office? We are a profit center for the federal government. We make money and are constitutionally mandated.

petegossett
9/30/15 11:07 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: I need to check out the dsg. I've been getting stuck in traffic a lot more often on my commute. It might be the only no third pedal I could tolerate.
The DSG is great not because it's an automatic, but because it gets rid of a lot of the problems with manual transmissions.

After my test drive I realized I would never bother to use the paddles unless I was on a track/autocross. It's that good.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/30/15 12:53 p.m.

I'm confused. The DSG is not available in the FiST. Seems we are talking about two different cars at the same time.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/30/15 12:59 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

read the thread title again?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/30/15 5:49 p.m.

OK. Like many threads on here it wanders

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/30/15 5:55 p.m.

Dibs on the accent?

petegossett
9/30/15 9:08 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Dibs on the accent?

It's still for sale.

petegossett
10/11/15 6:13 p.m.

Well, finally picked out a new vehicle last night....

Yes, I put my money where my mouth is and bought a Town & Country.

photo 0AB44085-E4E8-4EA0-BA7A-CD4EF3CF8705_zpsugsnqwq8.jpg

It's a 2014 with 58k for $17k. Ex-Enterprise rental from TN. It's clean, well-maintained, and if it's survived this much rental abuse then it should hold up to mine.

Yeah, it's not a "fun" car, but it's better for my frequent 1500-mile trips, and will make band gigs easier as well.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/12/15 7:27 a.m.

That's a nice white ford focus. Enjoy it!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/15 7:39 a.m.

60,000 miles seems high for $17K. Maybe I am just a cheapskate (I am) but I would want more like 30,000 at that price. I am most likely heading the minivan route some day, I guess I better get in touch with the ACTUAL prices not what I WSH they were.

petegossett
10/12/15 7:51 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I'm sure it varies widely with location, season, and whenever Enterprise et-al decide to refresh their fleet, but I've been tracking prices steadily since late-July, and on/off since March. I did find a couple Grand Caravan SXTs with around 40k for ~$17k back in late-August, but I wasn't ready to buy yet. Recently I've seen comparable vehicles for ~$20k. The Town & Country seem to bring about $1000-$1500 more for comparable mileage. If you don't want/need the extra options, you can find AVP Grand Caravans for cheap...new for around ~$20k.

I did have a line one a 1-owner(private party, local assistant police chief) 2010 T&C with 70kmi for $12k, but I really wanted something from a southern state to avoid (in that case) 5-years worth of salt exposure.

trucke
trucke Dork
10/12/15 8:22 a.m.

So how does 'Test drove a FiST and GTI-S/DSG' end up with a Town and Country. Wow!

Congratulations on the new ride. It will serve you well!

petegossett
10/12/15 9:34 a.m.

In reply to trucke:

We rented a Grand Caravan 3-years ago for vacation, and a brand new T&C this year for a 4100-mile tour of the southwest. After both those trips I was completely sold. At that point the decision was basically: "Practical, but worse MPG, higher insurance, won't utilize it's full capabilities often...but will allow me to get rid of my 1-ton cargo van." Vs. "Smaller, more fun, cheaper operating cost, but need a 2nd(3rd, actually) vehicle."

The other factor relates to the frequent 1500-mile round-trips I'll be making to the gulf coast over the next couple years. There are way more of these vans in service - many as taxis/shuttles - than there are Fiestas(let alone STs) or GTIs. So if I have trouble on the trip the odds of finding someplace with parts & knowledge is much greater. Plus I figure since they're proven fleet vehicles that says a lot about their long-term reliability/dependability.

trucke
trucke Dork
10/12/15 9:41 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to trucke: We rented a Grand Caravan 3-years ago for vacation, and a brand new T&C this year for a 4100-mile tour of the southwest. After both those trips I was completely sold. At that point the decision was basically: "Practical, but worse MPG, higher insurance, won't utilize it's full capabilities often...but will allow me to get rid of my 1-ton cargo van." Vs. "Smaller, more fun, cheaper operating cost, but need a 2nd(3rd, actually) vehicle." The other factor relates to the frequent 1500-mile round-trips I'll be making to the gulf coast over the next couple years. There are way more of these vans in service - many as taxis/shuttles - than there are Fiestas(let alone STs) or GTIs. So if I have trouble on the trip the odds of finding someplace with parts & knowledge is much greater. Plus I figure since they're proven fleet vehicles that says a lot about their long-term reliability/dependability.

Sounds perfect! I enjoyed this thread.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/12/15 9:51 a.m.

GRM Chrysler minivan owners UNITE!

I paid ~$10K for my '08 w/ 78K miles 2 years ago at a CarSense (similar to CarMax) dealer. Mine is a bare-bones version with few options - just the stow-n-go seats and rear HVAC controls.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MvRSMHZLz2XTbZOUMvO3Rw0EQT4zD3MX4zEWwviwmfwDLhv7Jzxf6AAZ9Y9h3K4s