1 2 3
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/18/13 11:35 a.m.

Have safety standards changed so much in the last decade that they are getting as big as the 2015 is? They are still small and it doesn't look like much has changed, but they are definitely getting bigger.

I know Lesley went to the unveiling, so maybe she could have some input into the size.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/13 11:47 a.m.

It looks like a startled frog. Do not want.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/18/13 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Agreed. I am not a fan of the fact it is a 3 cylinder or the styling.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/18/13 12:03 p.m.

They jumped the shark awhile ago.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/13 12:30 p.m.

it's turning into a maxi

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/18/13 12:38 p.m.

Fuel economy regulations are based off of the size of the footprint (track width x wheelbase) so, all else being equal, they are encouraged to make larger cars...

That aside, most people look at my miata and call me a loon for liking such a small thing.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/18/13 12:40 p.m.

Very much so.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 12:41 p.m.

that photo is misleading as it is angled and the others are head on.

From the release I read it is only 1.7 inches wider and 0.3 inches higher than its predecessor. You wouldn't be able to even notice that with a head on photo.

In any case, it is less than the growth of the 911 from model - has Porsche jumped as well??

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
11/18/13 12:43 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: that photo is misleading as it is angled and the others are head on.

Dude that's not accurate. Look again.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE New Reader
11/18/13 12:45 p.m.

I feel like every time I pull up to a stop light, I see a new variant of the MINI that I've never seen before.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/18/13 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

Since the 911 was mentioned...

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 1:24 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: that photo is misleading as it is angled and the others are head on.

Dude, it is accurate. I can see the side door on the 2015, but not on the 2007 or the 2004.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
11/18/13 1:26 p.m.

What about these things?:

I am sure they are nice cars, but my thinking is: "If you wanted a larger car, why the hell would you go to a MINI dealership!?!"

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/18/13 1:26 p.m.

But you can see the door on the original too. It still looks small. I understand what you're saying, but the difference in perceived size at those angles and distances is pretty negligible.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 1:30 p.m.

The actual size increase is also pretty negligible. 1/3 of an inch taller? 1.7" wider - now 68" wide. what is that 2.5%?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 1:32 p.m.

What about these things?:

I am sure they are nice cars, but my thinking is: "If you wanted a larger car, why the hell would you go to a MINI dealership!?!"

---------------------------------*-

why go to a Porsche dealership for a truck?

aircooled wrote:
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/13 1:36 p.m.

"Mini" is now a line of cars not a model of car any more. Same as BMW is a line of cars and the 3 series is a model.

IT also makes the soccer moms feel good when they say to there eco friendly green friends "I drive a Mini". What she is not saying is that it probably bigger than most of the normal Acura's. MB's and what not. The most recent "Mini" I saw was close to, if not the same size as the current explorer or Acura MDX.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/18/13 1:41 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:

I don't know... something about that photo looks off... whenever I park my '64 Mini next to "new" MINI's, the size difference looks greater.

As far as the F56 is concerned... go find a side-on shot... holy front overhang!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
11/18/13 1:45 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Dude, it is accurate. I can see the side door on the 2015, but not on the 2007 or the 2004.

It's centered about the middle of the 04 and 07, see how you can see the same amount of the side of the old one?

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
11/18/13 1:47 p.m.

It's 4.5 inches longer, 1.7 inches wider and a bit taller.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/13 1:47 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: In any case, it is less than the growth of the 911 from model - has Porsche jumped as well??

Yes, absolutely. They are taking away all the things that made the 911 great (rear weight bias for superior traction out of a corner, excellent communicative steering, light weight, and full driver involvement) and turning it into an emasculated status symbol that only sells based on it's heritage.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 1:53 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: "Mini" is now a line of cars not a model of car any more. Same as BMW is a line of cars and the 3 series is a model. IT also makes the soccer moms feel good when they say to there eco friendly green friends "I drive a Mini". What she is not saying is that it probably bigger than most of the normal Acura's. MB's and what not. The most recent "Mini" I saw was close to, if not the same size as the current explorer or Acura MDX.

Really?? as big as a MDX or explorer? As far as I know, the countryman is the least mini MINI

Mini Countryman - Height – 61.5 / Width – 70.4 / Length – 161.7

Acura MDX - Height – 78.5 / Width – 68.2 / Length – 191.6

2013 Porsche 911 - Height – 51.3 / Width – 71.2 / Length – 176.8

2013 BMW 3 series sedan - Height – 56.3 / Width – 71.3 / Length – 182.5

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 1:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: In any case, it is less than the growth of the 911 from model - has Porsche jumped as well??
Yes, absolutely. They are taking away all the things that made the 911 great (rear weight bias for superior traction out of a corner, excellent communicative steering, light weight, and full driver involvement) and turning it into an emasculated status symbol that only sells based on it's heritage.

that is faster for 100% of the drivers 100% of the time?

don't get me wrong, I hate progress as well. I want a clutch pedal. I want light weight over safety. I am looking to get another Miata when I get rid of my MINI S.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
11/18/13 2:01 p.m.

In the picture Synthetic posted, the newest one does look bloated next to the two most recent versions. But I'm not sure it looks that much larger, just a bit.

I wouldn't blame it all on safety regulations. I think most of the change is market demand. People (sheepole?) are demanding larger and larger vehicles...see the explosion of the SUV/truck market in the past 20 years. There are some exceptions, but most cars are big and bloated compared to what they used to be. See Honda Accord. See Toyota Camry. See Honda Civic, etc...

You know how the saying goes.... The bigger, the better, the tighter the fender...or something like that.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/13 2:06 p.m.

Dude; I did not get out and measure them. First impression of me seeing it parked on the side of the road. Cool your jets a little. Jeepers calm down. Lay off the coffee or energy drinks or what ever.

The Mini is not what it use to be. Neither is the Miata or the RX (as it evolved in the RX8) or just about every other car that goes through various production runs. If nothing else it has proven that the Mini is a very successful car line. People like them in all variants. WTF why are people so literal and who cares if a MINI is the same size an explorer anyway? Is it going to ruin some ones image? Reminds me when I told an Escalade owner he had a fully optioned Suburban. Dude nearly punched me he was so mad.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmJS0af5wBM8VDpQpYz8tk76n0oMt4ZoOgCB9s3xCqTelRVqcelwE5q4FNSnkK4f