1 2 3
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/19/15 8:18 a.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 8:25 a.m.

The Hellcat had the E36 M3tiest launch of all time...but the Tesla probably would've won in a fair race anyway

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/19/15 8:42 a.m.

Both cars are significantly faster than their times in that race. I want to see it with competent driving.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/19/15 8:46 a.m.

I was all about the Tesla being the better car until I saw that horrible start by the hellcat.

Your argument is invalid.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
1/19/15 8:48 a.m.

The P85d ran the quarter in 11.6 at 115 mph for Motor Trend.

Yeah I would call that legit.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/19/15 8:48 a.m.

HellCat Could be in the Top Ten Worst Launches Ever!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
1/19/15 9:04 a.m.

I stopped in the tesla dealer in Columbus and that is a helluva car. Not for me, but still...

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/19/15 9:14 a.m.

Since when was the question about acceleration?

That was answered years ago.

The questions remaining are about range, refueling, and cost. This answered none of those.

Will
Will SuperDork
1/19/15 9:40 a.m.

When an electric car can beat an average rental car from LA-NYC, then it's legit.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
1/19/15 9:40 a.m.

its good to know that the bone stock 87 mr2 i use to have is faster then a hellcat (ran a 17.1)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
1/19/15 10:26 a.m.

I love how the Tesla's run was completely drama-free.

OTOH, the Charger's driver should be expelled from the track in shame.

Maybe he knew he was going to lose, so he made a bunch of smoke and noise to distract the spectators from noticing how Badly he would be beaten.

Or maybe, he was like "Charger! 'MURICA! Smoke, Noise, Fuel Consumption! #$%* that weird 'furrin car!" (Because a stereotypical Charger owner wouldn't have the slightest ideal what a Tesla is, or where its built).

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/19/15 10:42 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The Hellcat had the E36 M3tiest launch of all time...but the Tesla probably would've won in a fair race anyway

Actually, the hellcat driver red lighted, so he did what every Mopar owner does when they're embarrassed, do something stupid.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/19/15 10:54 a.m.

that Hellcat driver needs to learn that you leave on the last yellow, then once you leave just go since you've already lost the race anyways. letting off and getting back on it accomplished nothing. looks like it was his first time on the track, but it's also possible that this race was rigged to make the Tesla look good...

but whatever: they are different cars with a different purpose, meant to get money from people that run with different crowds. the reality is that right now, the Hellcat is the better car for most people simply because with 2 people you could drive it cross country non stop except for a few 10 minute gas stops if you wanted to.. how many days would it take the Tesla to do the same thing?

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/19/15 11:04 a.m.

Uh huh... try three runs back-to-back with no cool-off time. The Tesla needs (or needed) 20 minutes to cool off. I like electric cars but can't stand how proponents always cook the data in order to appear competent.

GameboyRMH
1/19/15 11:05 a.m.

Man, you Americans sure drive cross-country a lot I'd heard the "sprawl" was bad but this is ridiculous!

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/19/15 11:18 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Man, you Americans sure drive cross-country a lot I'd heard the "sprawl" was bad but this is ridiculous!

Your island is small enough to drive across and back on one charge. Metro Detroit is bigger than that.

Then again, with the mountains here, I would be hesitant to drive from Ponce to San Juan.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/19/15 11:27 a.m.

The only thing I liked about that video was the sounds of the bikes in the background.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/19/15 11:27 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: but whatever: they are different cars with a different purpose, meant to get money from people that run with different crowds. the reality is that right now, the Hellcat is the better car for most people simply because with 2 people you could drive it cross country non stop except for a few 10 minute gas stops if you wanted to.. how many days would it take the Tesla to do the same thing?

Most people don't do cross country trips on a regular basis, and definitely not in gas guzzling musclecars.

Most people that drive cross country take a few days to do it. If you want to faster you take a plane.

Most people drive less than 40 miles a day and an EV, charging at home every night, starts out every day with a "full tank." And can easily do the majority of what a driver needs during that day.

Last time I drove across country was in '99 and it took me 8 days, driving 8 hours a day. But unlike the people that bash EVs, I'm realistic about my driving and about the driving of those around me.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
1/19/15 11:40 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Man, you Americans sure drive cross-country a lot

I resemble that remark.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/15 11:48 a.m.

Who wants to plan, build a car, and set an all-electric cannonball run (NYC to LA) world record with me?

I'm actually 100% serious. I already have the motor and controller to do it if we go homebuilt.

GameboyRMH
1/19/15 11:56 a.m.
rcutclif wrote: Who wants to plan, build a car, and set an all-electric cannonball run (NYC to LA) world record with me? I'm actually 100% serious. I already have the motor and controller to do it if we go homebuilt.

Sounds fun, but I hope you know that it would stand about as long as a FLOPS record.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/19/15 12:32 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: Who wants to plan, build a car, and set an all-electric cannonball run (NYC to LA) world record with me? I'm actually 100% serious. I already have the motor and controller to do it if we go homebuilt.

I'm in but I refuse to poop in a bucket in the car.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/19/15 12:56 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
novaderrik wrote: but whatever: they are different cars with a different purpose, meant to get money from people that run with different crowds. the reality is that right now, the Hellcat is the better car for most people simply because with 2 people you could drive it cross country non stop except for a few 10 minute gas stops if you wanted to.. how many days would it take the Tesla to do the same thing?
Most people don't do cross country trips on a regular basis, and definitely not in gas guzzling musclecars. Most people that drive cross country take a few days to do it. If you want to faster you take a plane. Most people drive less than 40 miles a day and an EV, charging at home every night, starts out every day with a "full tank." And can easily do the majority of what a driver needs during that day. Last time I drove across country was in '99 and it took me 8 days, driving 8 hours a day. But unlike the people that bash EVs, I'm realistic about my driving and about the driving of those around me.

what good is a car if you couldn't take it on a non stop cross country drive on short notice?

i haven't personally been "cross country", but i did drive my rusty POS 86 Camaro from MN to Texas and back a couple of years ago.. took the scenic 3 day route down- St Louis isn't exactly in a direct line from MN to TX- but took a straight shot back... could a Tesla cover almost 1000 miles in a single 16 hour time period with only 4 or 5 ten minute stops to recharge the batteries?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/15 1:08 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Sounds fun, but I hope you know that it would stand about as long as a FLOPS record.

well, that depends on how well we do, I think. If we mobilize lots of GRM folks along the route to help charge/change batteries I think we could get stop times down to similar to a gas station fill. We would have to stop much more often and can't travel at 100+, but I could see 72 hours or less.

As far as pooping in a bucket, I'll let that decision fall on the individual team member.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/19/15 1:14 p.m.

Look into repowering something and having battery packs in sleek low profile trailers....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3PIBbdPzWhbmN3asyCI7XmjaWZaQ8VhI3ko217p0kTa0JvL6E8c9CF9GwAtIRo1l