1 2
Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/9/17 7:15 a.m.

Looking forward to GT or TG testing one.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
3/9/17 7:52 a.m.

I'll take this, thanks...

Ferrari 512BB

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/9/17 8:36 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
Flight Service wrote: I think I would sell a kidney for one of these.
I agree. I would gladly sell one of your kidneys for one of these...

Hell, I'd sell both of both your kidneys for one.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/9/17 8:44 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Hell, I'd sell both of both your kidneys for one.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 8:46 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: There is not a supercar on the market that I find appealing.

sadly, I agree with you.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/9/17 9:22 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
sadly, I agree with you.

So, pray tell, what would it take for a supercar to be appealing to you?

JimS
JimS New Reader
3/9/17 9:32 a.m.

These cars have a wow factor but I don't find them good looking. Guess I'm too old but I find them gaudy. I think the 911 is much better looking. Simple clean lines and the last good looking Ferrari in my mind is the 430.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/9/17 10:28 a.m.

I see a lot of the higher end cars regularly here in S FL. I too find a lot of them gaudy however I pulled up next to a beautiful Aston Martin DB9 Volante yesterday I really liked the looks of.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/9/17 11:38 a.m.
Kreb wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
sadly, I agree with you.

If he's anything like me, its not so much the look or styling of a supercar that isn't appealing. You certainly can't grouse about the performance of the current crop, which is simply mind blowing, even in comparison with the supercars of, say, 10 years ago. I think the idea of a supercar just doesn't appeal to some people. (Whom Clarkson would no doubt refer to a "communists")

For me, if I had 250-500K lying around I'd much rather spend it on a number of things:

-Racecar, tow pig, trailer and 700 sets of tires.

-10 car garage to fill with $5K project cars.

-A vintage race car.

-"Making it rain" in the Walmart parking lot to watch the ensuing chaos.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 11:53 a.m.
Kreb wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
sadly, I agree with you.

it's all about looks. Give me a Ferrari 360 and I would be in heaven, that was one gorgeous car. The Enzo, while it would run circles around the 360, does nothing for me. The newest crop of Super cars is even worse, there is nothing truly pretty about them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 4:13 p.m.
Kreb wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
sadly, I agree with you.

I find the looks to be moderately terrible, but what kills it for me is the complexity. I don't want or need a car that can wipe my ass after it scares the E36 M3 out of me and bursts into flames.

Many years ago I loved the complicated things. Power this, power that, automatic everything. Now, I much prefer simple things that just work. They don't have to be the fastest, most powerful or most expensive. I want to be able to work on it with basic hand tools.

Just give me a simple chassis that works, a engine that's willing, and a peaceful road to drive it on. The rest of you can have the gewgaws and doodads.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 4:43 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Kreb wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
sadly, I agree with you.
I find the looks to be moderately terrible, but what kills it for me is the complexity. I don't want or need a car that can wipe my ass after it scares the E36 M3 out of me and bursts into flames. Many years ago I loved the complicated things. Power this, power that, automatic everything. Now, I much prefer simple things that just work. They don't have to be the fastest, most powerful or most expensive. I want to be able to work on it with basic hand tools. Just give me a simple chassis that works, a engine that's willing, and a peaceful road to drive it on. The rest of you can have the gewgaws and doodads.

So what you are saying is you want one of these:

dean1484
3/9/17 4:44 p.m.

For the record I am there with you. . .. . As long as it is an F1.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I'm not even sure what that is, so probably not.

Lets just say I'd probably rather drive the car on the left.

dean1484
3/9/17 8:29 p.m.

I think you would like the F1. It has no computer assisted anything. Look in to it you may like it. It is alot closer to your car on the left than the one on the right.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/10/17 7:32 a.m.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/17 7:41 a.m.

OK, so what I'm hearing is that it's a lot more than merely styling - it's electronic nannies, it's money that could be spent on other things that provide more pleasure and satisfaction. It's preferring a simpler time.

I understand. It's a little like how we're told that models are the most beautiful women in the world, when most of us would rather have someone more voluptuous and far lower maintenance.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/10/17 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Kreb:

I get what you're laying down, but I don't see that in the McLaren. The P1 yes, but the 720S no. It has a suspension, although not a transverse leaf spring, has been around for years. The mono cell construction is very well known, especially by McLaren. Smart aero isn't the latest in greatest, hell that is 1960s chapparal. They may be using a new control system to tie it all together, but I see more optimization than ground breaking tech.

IMHO it's more road legal LMP2 with a few extras than a tech bed like the Bugatti Chiron

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/10/17 8:47 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to Kreb: I get what you're laying down, but I don't see that in the McLaren. The P1 yes, but the 720S no. It has a suspension, although not a transverse leaf spring, has been around for years. The mono cell construction is very well known, especially by McLaren. Smart aero isn't the latest in greatest, hell that is 1960s chapparal. They may be using a new control system to tie it all together, but I see more optimization than ground breaking tech. IMHO it's more road legal LMP2 with a few extras than a tech bed like the Bugatti Chiron

Was the fan on some type of PWM that turned off on the straights and back on before the corners? Was this driver controlled?

I think you're ridiculously downplaying the amount of tech in the new cars.

Doesn't one of the McLaren's use an open diff because the linked suspension/ECU/brakes/etc are actually faster than using a diff?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/17 8:52 a.m.

The P1 is an ultra-high-tech car, and from what I can tell, the 720S has everything the P1 has minus the hybrid powertrain and active aero. It looks like the 720S has the same passive computer-adjustable FRICS suspension as the P1.

The F1 is a typical '90s car (early '90s...maybe I should say late '80s) in terms of technology. The only unusual piece of technology it has is active aero, consisting of the active rear spoiler and some diffuser fans.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/10/17 9:07 a.m.

Maybe I am so used to this level of tech it doesn't even seem strange or that complex.

The hardware in the McLaren control system isn't unique, or even new, the control algorithms are another ball game.

I also think the 720S has active aero.

FWIW the amount of tech in the average passenger I think is even more complex than the McLaren. The level of HVAC, GPS, powertrain management integration is just astonishing.

Hell you can't take the stereo out of some normal production cars without screwing up the ECU

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/10/17 9:18 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Maybe I am so used to this level of tech it doesn't even seem strange or that complex. The hardware in the McLaren control system isn't unique, or even new, the control algorithms are another ball game. I also think the 720S has active aero. FWIW the amount of tech in the average passenger I think is even more complex than the McLaren. The level of HVAC, GPS, powertrain management integration is just astonishing. Hell you can't take the stereo out of some normal production cars without screwing up the ECU

We all are. My contention is that you were somehow trying to say it wasn't really much more advanced than a car from the 60s...........nothing could be further from the truth.

Oh god, and you've doubled down now and think the average Ford Focus has more complex systems and software coding than the new 720S. I give up.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/17 9:20 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: I also think the 720S has active aero.

Just checked, it does have an auto-raising rear wing that can act as an air brake, like the P1. So the only difference is the lack of a hybrid powertrain.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/10/17 10:46 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

That is hardware complexity vs software complexity. Different.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zWVcVLRCUtrUUfcUdBH26EpDAHmrG2fMz8jDmaPkUTCTtyusOtrD8cruHDYaMelC