1 2
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/20 9:58 p.m.
mrhappy said:

Miata body swap

That has a bit of a Renault Alpine look to it. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/20 10:39 p.m.
bradyzq said:

993 in disguise from Bader Racing if you need some power... 

Ohhh my!!!!!!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/27/20 10:59 p.m.

The first picture is a CG rendering. Interesting to look at but hard to beat the lines of a stock body Ghia.

Here is how I would like to build one

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/27/20 11:21 p.m.

First car I ever restored was a Karmann Ghia.

I've never gone near an ACVW since.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 1:01 a.m.
dean1484 said:
bradyzq said:

993 in disguise from Bader Racing if you need some power... 

Ohhh my!!!!!!

I think that is an "i need a moment" car.  I think with some classic Fuchs allows, it would be perfect.  The modern wheels do not really fit the body.

dean1484
6/28/20 1:57 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Agree 100%

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/28/20 10:14 a.m.

I guess I need to post some pics of my lowlight:

Some details:

Bought many years ago for $1800.  Just an old Ghia at that point.  Car is a German build car (note Euro bumpers and front turn signals), even has a German fuel gage.  Bought in Germany and shipped over (by a service man I assume).  Car was delivered with two options: white wall tires and side mirror (apparently you could order one without side mirrors!). It also has a factory installed (German label) accessory basket (these, I am told are very rare). Still has the horse hair stuffed seats (that you can still smell), but the fronts have vinyl covers over them, at some pont I want to try and pull those off to see the original seats (!)

I am the third owner.  Car had an non-original 36 hp motor in it when I bought it (I know it was not original because it had a crank start boss on it, it may have even been a 24 horse).  I swapped the motor in the late 80's for a 1650 with a mild cam and dual baby Webers (likely doubled the HP), and put a later transaxle in it.  I also painted the car a bright yellow.  It was, at least close to, the original bamboo yellow when I bought it, but was not the two tone it was delivered with.

Car is fun to drive (I love to play with heal toeing in it) and cruises at 70 because of the cam.  I would say the biggest downside driving wise are the stock size tires.  If I wanted to mod it a bit, it could use some lower profile and wider if possible tires.  I currently am leaving it in the "mostly stock but modded in the 80's" state.  A full restore would be nice, but expensive, and I might not drive it as much.

This is what the car looked like as delivered, and what it would look like if restored to stock (color is the slightly greenish bamboo yellow), this one has the US turn signals though.

In reply to aircooled :

Gorgeous!

dean1484
6/28/20 2:05 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Love the wheels and tires on that Air!!!  Looks fantastic!!!  

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
6/28/20 8:51 p.m.
mrhappy said:

Miata body swap

This would be great with more rubber on the back rims instead of that stretched too narrow tire.

dean1484
6/29/20 4:12 p.m.

Ya I really don't like the stretched look on any car.  Never understood that "look" but hay I have made some very questionable style choices in the past so I am not going to judge.  laugh

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
6/29/20 5:18 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

The front end could use to drop a little bit, but otherwise, I like this ones vibe.

This one has the most visual appeal for me.....a slightly used, ratty look to it.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
6/29/20 7:17 p.m.

I'm loving Ash Thorps' renderings...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qnf7H7tSSzGc6EXymyAKOvfdVZ1yw7k7PhqqPVr6tWkKmnr5Ov73pwLDFX4wblf9