1 2 3 4
No Time
No Time Dork
2/13/20 8:31 p.m.
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/13/20 8:51 p.m.
stroker said:

How much would it cost to build a GT40 kit car?  Surely Factory Five has something that would be a candidate in this discussion...

70 large.  Whether you buy one someone else built (nicely) or get a kit and DIY, seventy large.

79rex
79rex Reader
2/13/20 9:36 p.m.

Has anyone suggested fiero with one of the surprisingly decent F40 kits?

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/13/20 9:50 p.m.

Sometimes I lust after older supercars and then I look up their performance numbers. 

For example Ferrari Testarossa 0-60 in little over 5 seconds. 

1990 Lotus Esprit 0-60     5.4

A kid with a bmw 335i and 2k in mod money could kill these cars.

Not that I wouldn't love to own and drive any old supercar. Numbers aren't everything :)

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/13/20 9:56 p.m.

Subaru SVX if you want something cheap that has some exotic/supercar-ish looks.  But yeah, a fiero ferrari kit car with a v8 is the ticket for expensive LOOKING car. :)

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/13/20 10:05 p.m.
LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/20 5:24 a.m.

Under $60k my standard recommendation is Ferrari 348. 

Under $40k there's the Bentley Continental GT and Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
2/14/20 5:46 a.m.

I think kit cars and supercars are synonymous.  So I vote 818C with an EZ36R, boosted.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
2/14/20 5:53 a.m.

This subject deserves a GRM "Challenge" of some kind, but I'm trying to think of how to do it...

What performance criteria would you insist as a minimum to qualify as a "supercar"?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/14/20 6:00 a.m.

I think I have a different definition of what makes a supercar. There are some fun cars in this thread that is love to own, but I wouldn't call a supercar. Astons are grand touring cars. Maseratis are sports cars and grand tourers. Vipers are muscle cars. Fisker is a luxo sports sedan. 911's In non turbo or GT series are sports cars. The only thing I'd call a supercar in this thread that's affordable is the 348 or the Esprit, but only in Turbo form. NA Esprit's are sports cars too. 
The Ultimate, Vector and Cizeta are certainly Supercars but are all way out of the price range implied. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/20 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

For me supercars should have: 

1. Engine in the "wrong" place

2. Exotic materials (Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, Aluminum, etc.)

3. Top 5 0-60 or top speed for production cars the year it debuted. 

I get a lot of looks using an NSX as a daily, but they are getting expensive and it's really only about as crazy as a 92 Accord. I'd say the Consulier is the best answer-those things are just nuts, and look the part. After that maybe a Lotus Europa? It's probably only an exotic (not fast enough), but you'd have to be raving mad to daily drive one.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/20 7:47 a.m.

My CLS is up there in the performance and is a fantastic every day car but it fails in the looks department. It looks like any other Benz to those that are non car people. 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/20 10:20 a.m.
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/20 10:23 a.m.
GTwannaB said:

How about a Maserati with 72k for 12 grand

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/pleasanton-2006-maserati-quattroporte/7062481807.html

I think I'd rather have an e60 m5 if I'm going to go for that era in possible unreliability lol

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
2/15/20 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

For the sake of an argument, I’d consider the Viper a supercar. The first version especially was too impractical and ridiculous to be called anything else.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/20 10:58 a.m.
STM317 said:

36k for an Alfa 4C with 9k miles doesn't seem bad either. Full carbon tub, exotic looks, but they're probably not done depreciating and no stick shift.

I've driven one and nearly bought it, but my wife wanted a house instead...

I think they probably are a "junior supercar" - they're exotic in similar ways to an Elise, but like the Elise they're also powered by a pretty mundane drivetrain. Not to mention they also have maintaince requirements closer to supercar requirements - I don't think my Giulia or S2k require a bunch of subframe to chassis bolts retorquing every 10k miles.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/20 11:53 a.m.

I dunno if it qualifies as a "supercar", but far and away the car I've driven that got the most people looking at it for the least money was the Locost.  I bought it from the guy who built it for $8K.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
2/15/20 11:54 a.m.
stroker said:

This subject deserves a GRM "Challenge" of some kind, but I'm trying to think of how to do it...

What performance criteria would you insist as a minimum to qualify as a "supercar"?

Since this is GRM we need a "Challenge"  ($5020) ? price tag along with a "Supercar" cache

No 4's, 6's, or pushrod V8's 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
2/15/20 11:57 a.m.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
2/15/20 12:08 p.m.

Factory Five Roadster..

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/20 12:22 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

What is that red car? Super cool. Looks like it escaped from a road circuit. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/20 12:23 p.m.
irish44j said:

There are sever DB7 verts on my local Marketplace for about $30k. Even around here Astons are pretty unusual to see (Ferraris are not unusual.....Porsches I see a dozen a day).  Astons, almost never.

DB9 for $35k

What would hurt less over time, if one was looking for a used A-M? One of these or a V8 Vantage?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/15/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

RCR SLC (race car replicas superlite coupe). Awesome build quality but you pay for it. No way you're getting one for $40k!!

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 New Reader
2/15/20 1:25 p.m.

I've always liked the 3000gt VR4

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/20 4:41 p.m.
frenchyd said:
stroker said:

Since this is GRM we need a "Challenge"  ($5020) ? price tag along with a "Supercar" cache

No 4's, 6's, or pushrod V8's 

Many of the cool 80s supercars had fours and sixes.  Ferrari and Lamborghini had eights and twelves, sure, but Lotuses were fours, the billy badass Porsches were sixes.  All those Group B homologation specials were fours, with the exception of Audi and MG.  And Porsche and Ferrari, I guess, technically (959 was a six, 288/F40 was an eight)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cLBiopOYz8hGNTnR9BkZpSHYtOj53lNfjRtMhD1HGzhQCNavJMDuSpdOaWHXG4V8