1 2
jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
5/31/09 9:50 a.m.

I had worked this all out in my head to build a rat rod out of an old s10 or ranger several months ago and then I came across these pictures yesterday.

Thoughts?

Jay
Jay Dork
5/31/09 10:00 a.m.

I know a guy who would love that thing. He has no legs.

J

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/09 10:09 a.m.

I like things such as this from an artistic/creative/tounge-in-cheek standpoint. I really can't imagine trying to drive something like that though & I think if I ever built one I'd be ready to sell it before it was finished.

4g63t
4g63t Reader
5/31/09 10:58 a.m.

I love it.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/31/09 10:59 a.m.

meh.

Too over the top.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/31/09 11:07 a.m.

[sarcasm] I would chop it down just a little more...theres too much glass up front for my tastes [/sarcasm]

Jeesh

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/09 11:41 a.m.

i hate it

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven Reader
5/31/09 11:53 a.m.

Do most of these low low rat rods have air suspension or do they just et stuck on every speedbump?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/31/09 12:06 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Didn't we discuss this about a year ago? or am I on too many forumns?

not even...prolly last november

bamalama
bamalama Reader
5/31/09 12:56 p.m.
Lennyseleven wrote: Do most of these low low rat rods have air suspension or do they just et stuck on every speedbump?

This particular one is bagged, but I don't think all of them are.

Those things just aren't for me.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
5/31/09 1:06 p.m.

Really. I don't remember it for some reason.

I would love to build one of these as a challenge car but it breaks too many rules.

thedude
thedude New Reader
5/31/09 1:06 p.m.

my neck hurts just looking at it

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
5/31/09 6:08 p.m.

Don't know whether this is intentional or not, but it kinda seems like a parody of rat rods to me...

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/31/09 6:58 p.m.

If you love getting hassled by the Man, go for it.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/31/09 7:53 p.m.

I'm not a huge fan of this style, but it is kind of cool to see it done with a modern cab.

Also, I want to see someone take one of these through the drive-thru, you couldn't get your drink in you car without tipping the cup, thus relieving the drink of it's containment, probably doesn't have cup holders any way...although, it is a GM...

ratghia
ratghia Reader
5/31/09 8:21 p.m.

It reminds me of this

or this

Brust
Brust Reader
6/1/09 2:06 a.m.

Hell, that'd be an improvement on comfort for me. Midget's aren't built for comfort (or speed, stock). The roof would have to go, and I'd have to buy stock in chiquita to feed the monkey driving it.

Gotta feed the monkey, man.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/1/09 6:07 a.m.
Lennyseleven wrote: Do most of these low low rat rods have air suspension or do they just et stuck on every speedbump?

And that's my problem with the Rat movement. It started out as a cheap, grassroots alternative to the precious, hyper-expensive, salon-styled Traditional rods that were never driven because they were too clean. Now, Rats have turned into hyper-expensive, dumpster-styled pieces of crap that can't be driven. They've most definitely lost the plot.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/09 10:37 a.m.
Duke wrote: Now, Rats have turned into hyper-expensive, dumpster-styled pieces of crap that can't be driven. They've most definitely lost the plot.

I don't get the "can't be driven part" either. That VW looks cool but how in the he|| do you even get into it?

slefain
slefain Dork
6/1/09 10:49 a.m.

There is starting to be a backlash in the old hotrodder ranks against the "rat rod" crowd. There are cars being built that are just downright dangerous and would not have been accepted even back in "the day". Shoddy craftsmanship is being celebrated as "hard core" in the car show circles but being slammed (rightly so) by the old timers.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
6/1/09 10:58 a.m.
Duke wrote: And that's my problem with the Rat movement. It started out as a cheap, grassroots alternative to the precious, hyper-expensive, salon-styled Traditional rods that were never driven because they were too clean. Now, Rats have turned into hyper-expensive, dumpster-styled pieces of crap that can't be driven. They've most definitely lost the plot.

Umm the same thing happens to everything man, this isn't new.

Hotrods used to be a way to get a cheap, fast car. Then they evolved into easter-egg painted streetrods that cost mega $$$

Stock class autocross was supposed to be a cheap way to go racing. Now there's $2000 per corner shock absorbers.

The "rat rod" thing is evolving too.

Shawn

curtis
curtis Reader
6/1/09 11:25 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Didn't we discuss this about a year ago? or am I on too many forumns?

Yes we did. It wasnt even last year it was this one. Someone also posted pics of the DEATH bug as well. Sometimes it isnt deja vu. Sometimes it really does just happen more then once.

curtis
curtis Reader
6/1/09 11:26 a.m.

and BTW the death bug is awesome. Go onto the KCW forum website and there is like a 60 page thread on the buildup of that motha. AWESOME.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/1/09 11:58 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Umm the same thing happens to everything man, this isn't new. Hotrods used to be a way to get a cheap, fast car. Then they evolved into easter-egg painted streetrods that cost mega $$$

Which can still be driven when you want to, unlike many of these rat rods.

Stock class autocross was supposed to be a cheap way to go racing. Now there's $2000 per corner shock absorbers.

That's the cost of going racing if you chose to go that route. You can choose a different route.

The "rat rod" thing is evolving too.

But Rats are evolving into WHAT?! Ugly, non-functional pavement art pieces that cost a fortune and take hundreds of hours of labor, just so that you can look like you spent $50 and a boozy weekend building it?

Couple that with the attitude of the Rat Lifestyle crowd, and I lose all respect. That's my point - you can't successfully argue that you're a purist when you've completely lost the idea of what you're a purist about.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
6/1/09 12:06 p.m.

I knew I saw that before!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ybr_sbc&va=rat+rod&sz=

I guess if you already own an S-10.....

but there are so many other cooler choices in my book.

Dan

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4mpY38b5GIB17Fw8LFazDqHwr6KUyYMQUJJWFKY0bHFw3Ala6SvUlAdCBkFbZJZ2