8/28/09 10:25 p.m.
  1. Make it a Track Car
  2. Steal the heart of an RX8
  3. Allow Aussie Mad Men to work

http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=30796

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/09 12:42 a.m.

I found out about that car about a week after I got back from my trip to Oz - turns out I was probably within spitting distance of his shop.

Turns out the RX8 front subframe will bolt straight into an NC. The transmission tailshaft and shifter end up in almost exactly the same place as in the Miata, so you can use the existing driveshaft - this guy swapped in the RX8 rear due to his high-power plans. The mechanical part of the swap is actually surprisingly easy. Electrically, well...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/29/09 12:50 a.m.

Frankenmazda!

Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
8/29/09 3:11 a.m.

Wowak's 4 simple steps to improving the NC Miata.

1: sell NC

2: buy 5 NAs

3: ???

4: profit.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/29/09 3:36 a.m.

Blimey, that is one cool project...

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
8/29/09 5:45 a.m.
Keith wrote: Turns out the RX8 front subframe will bolt straight into an NC. The transmission tailshaft and shifter end up in almost exactly the same place as in the Miata, so you can use the existing driveshaft - this guy swapped in the RX8 rear due to his high-power plans. The mechanical part of the swap is actually surprisingly easy. Electrically, well...

so...how long until mazda wakes up and gives us a rx-5?

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/29/09 9:30 a.m.

In reply to 2.0dohc:

I want one of these, bad, but RX-5 would be the wrong designation. The RX-5 was a larger, more luxurious car back in the day, something like a T-Bird in concept. To keep consistent nomenclature, a rotary MX-5 would have to be either an RX-7 (sports car) or RX-9 or something else.

Then again, nomenclature consistency didn't keep Chrysler from calling a 4-door sedan a Charger.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
8/29/09 9:37 a.m.

In reply to billy3esq:

yeah, but chrysler have been crapping all over their past greatness for some time now.

"maybe if we put a really great name on it, people won't notice that its a total e36 m3box"

"Yeah! that's brilliant!"

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
8/29/09 9:48 a.m.

This is one of the coolest projects I've seen in awhile.

I would sell my wife for one.......

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/09 9:53 a.m.
2.0dohc wrote:
Keith wrote: Turns out the RX8 front subframe will bolt straight into an NC. The transmission tailshaft and shifter end up in almost exactly the same place as in the Miata, so you can use the existing driveshaft - this guy swapped in the RX8 rear due to his high-power plans. The mechanical part of the swap is actually surprisingly easy. Electrically, well...
so...how long until mazda wakes up and gives us a rx-5?

It's not going to happen. Doesn't fit with how they position the car.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/29/09 9:59 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: In reply to billy3esq: yeah, but chrysler have been crapping all over their past greatness for some time now. "maybe if we put a really great name on it, people won't notice that its a total e36 m3box" "Yeah! that's brilliant!"

You're right, but I hate to see Mazda jump the shark too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6FyvhWTgWxkLhXV3y9WStWwBTisZq2OY8wzkUegV1qtIVZbCLHfj1MqNAsJI4LD5