1 2 3 4 ... 9
d_jabsd
d_jabsd GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/08 7:50 a.m.

I enjoy Tim's articles and perspectives on things. He is the epitome of Grassroots and so is the magazine. Look at what this magazine has accomplished. Started from nothing and grew into the movement you see today with great articles covering numerous topics from howtos, racing coverage, car reviews, and driver interviews. Personally, i would rather see the 135i instead of the 335i, but the 335i is still a grassroots project and not some endless budget "lets see how much money we can pump into it" car.

Thumbs up to Tim, Margie, and rest of the GRM crew. My only complaint with the magazine is that there aren't enough issues in year and i get all jittery waiting for my next fix. Fortunately, the website and forums keep me sane. Maybe I should read slower.... nah... lets make it a weekly.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/08 8:00 a.m.

It's hard to believe, but that 335i will be 10 years old in about, oh, 10 years. I still have articles saved on when the C4 and C5 Vettes came out. Mods when they were new are still applicable when you find one used.

Plus, it's a bit like "The Art of War." Know your enemy. In this case, even thou gh you aren't buying new, keep up with new technology, what's available for new cars, and how adaptable they are.

I think that the premise of starting with a new 335i is fundamentally sound and in line with the magazine. It balances the 20+ year old cars. I won't start to worry until the baseline becomes modding new M3's and >$80k new cars. Let's take this new Porsche 911 turbo and yank the engine and spend $20k on suspension mods? No thanks.

Start with an entry level Porsche and show what warranty-insensitive bolt-ons can do for a couple grand? Sure. Start with a $15-20k used Rolls Royce and see what you can do? Bring it on. Just don't lose the steady supply of cheap formula cars/karts and spotters guides for the late 80's/early 90's cars.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
12/9/08 8:05 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: You probably won't hear from Tim on this because he hasn't been on the board much the past couple weeks. He's been spending all his spare (and non-spare) time taking the GT6 from bare tub to finished roller in the short window between November's SEMA show and December's PRI show because we need it for our booth--and around here, if we need a car, that frequently means Tim builds it. Just part of his poseur douchebaggery. Margie

Nope, no smackdown needed. Hope you feel better.

I would ask Mr. 82 if he subscribes other magazines. I wonder if Csaba Csere et al would respond to his concerns.

Dan

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/9/08 8:08 a.m.

Glueguy, I agree. I was looking over some the older New Car reviews not long ago and thinking how useful they'll be now that those cars are hitting my happy spot in their depreciation curve.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon New Reader
12/9/08 8:19 a.m.

I just bought a used 335i for less than a new Accord. Yippee I'm rich! i'm rich! Does anyone know where can buy corporate jet to fly to the 09 Challenge? Last time I checked our local autox had plenty of M3s, 911s, Vettes, Vipers, STIs, Evos, I wonder what magazine they read? Props to Tim for the mag and all the EVENTS he holds.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/9/08 8:24 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Just part of his poseur douchebaggery. Margie

I always knew Tim was a poseur douchebag.

(I keed, I keed!)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/9/08 8:59 a.m.

On a semi-related note, I know that someone is going to whine because the next issue features a Ruf CTR2 Sport--basically a bad ass Porsche 911 Turbo. It's worth about $200,000. "Oh my gosh," someone will cry, "the sky is falling. GRM has sold out. Hide the cattle."

But look at the big picture. What does the owner do with this totally street-legal Ruf? Chase down IMSA GTP cars, WSC Ferraris and Porsche 935s. Tell me that's not cool. And the car finished second at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb back in 1997. More coolness. And it was wearing a current license plate when we photographed it.

One more nugget of info. The car was recently put up for sale. Odds are strong that the owner will at least break even on the deal.

Because I love you guys so much, a video teaser: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ruf/

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/08 9:04 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, it's a good car. Driving that and the Tire Rack's test sedans has made Kim and I ponder a 328iT as a good replacement for the MINI.

I love my e46 BMW wagon. And if BMW saw fit to manufacture a 335iT, I'd probably already have one. Or how about a 335d??

As for the topic at hand, I love the current state of the magazine. In fact, I can see myself owning a 335i sedan in a few years, so thanks for the article!

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
12/9/08 9:09 a.m.

Here's a couple of other perspectives...

First of all, isn't it cool that Grassroots Motorsports has risen to a high enough stature that BMW gives them a car? Who would have ever though of this back in the Auto-X days??? Smoken! All things considered, a lot of people brag about their rides here, too.

Second, IMHO, it's very important that GRM keep up with the state of the art or review some of the recent state of the art. That puts their projects into some very good perspective. IIRC, at a few of the Challenges, a modern car was taken though the wringer just as a comparison to the cars built. And I recall well over a decade ago when GRM built an RX7 of an early generation which competed well with the last RX7.

No, I'm never probably going to own a supercar. But the magazine is about driving, and competing. I'd think it would be cool if GRM did a feature of a person who autocrossed their Ferrari (if there was such a person...).

Grassroots doesn't mean cheap.

That's why I get this magazine, and it + CM and a couple other that I read cover to cover. The rest are for info, and reference (since I do this as a living, too....)

Eric

Brian
Brian Dork
12/9/08 9:14 a.m.

I am enjoying the 335i editorial (although I do seem to remember it seemed like a purchase rather than a loan in the initial articles).

Prepare for some rambling below:

I just bought 2007 335i sedan with the sport and premium packages about a month ago. I needed the four doors for the kids, and it also has the certified warranty (6 years/100k from new). These cars are really coming down in price. I think the new prices are crazy, but BMW lease offers were so good the last few years that they moved a lot of cars on 2 and 3 year leases. Now those cars have to be sold, and some of them are selling cheap--well, cheap when compared with new. I got mine in the high 20's (from that auction site) when it stickered for ~$45k. It is under warranty for another 4 years and 62,000 miles.

I drove lots of cars in the last couple of years, and the handling, braking, and acceleration of this car really put my other choices to shame. I drove several CTS-Vs, Infiniti G35s, Subaru WRX, STi, and Legacy, Mazda MS3, Mazda MS6, BMW 330i, E36 M3, etc. I was looking at the E46 330i performance package also, but the nice ones weren't much cheaper than my new car.

It is not just the numbers, but the feel of the ride and steering. Also, the sport seats are great. I'm 6ft, 165 lb, and I rattle around in most seats. The BMW has adjustable side bolsters to fit a wider variety of people.

Reliability may turn out to be a sore spot--we'll see. They can have problems with the high pressure fuel pump.

I'm not rich, but I'm doing OK. I'm an engineer with a family. Insurance on this car is cheaper than the Subaru Imprezas, and not much more than my old '99 Accord. I spent less on the purchase than I did when I bought our '07 Odyssey 2 years ago, but it probably looks to others like I spent 40k+ on the car. What grassroots means to me: Getting a good deal on a fast car.

I like the variety in the magazine. To tell you the truth, I'm glad to see some newer cars in the mag. Right now I don't have time for a project car, so I just needed a nice daily driver that I might autocross now and then. E36 M3's are too old and too small to make a good daily for me.

-Brian

minimac
minimac Dork
12/9/08 9:19 a.m.

Before we all flame him too badly, remember he was just expressing his opinion, something we all have. I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Suddard (and staff)would agree that he has a right to express it here. What shouldn't be tolerated though, are personal type attacks and douchey name calling. FIRE AWAY and learn to keep your attacks from being personal,asshat.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/9/08 9:19 a.m.

GRM (originally Auto-X) is now in it's 25th year.

Back in 1984 the guys who helped Tim and Margie get a foothold were mostly 25-35 years old. Most of these guys back then were driving 240z's, VW's, Honda's, RX-7's etc. Now these guys are 50 years old or so and some of them probably can afford and want a more expensive car.

So a guy that has been reading our magazine for 25 years, buying subscriptions, supporting our advertisers, and basically keeping GRM afloat should now be ignored because he needs advice in taking his 335i, or Viper, or Corvette to the track? Sounds like perfect logic to me.

In the Dec. issue of GRM we covered a Spec E30, a NEON, a 1st gen RX-7 vs. a 240Z and we ran a budget supercars story. Real upscale huh?

It is pretty shortsighted to think that GRM readers only want to read about $2K cars. There are a lot more affluent folks out there reading GRM than you may expect. These guys deserve to get advice, tips, and information as well. Don't worry, Tim still likes picking up coal and polishing it into diamonds. (you should have seen him at the Turkey Rod Run Swapmeet)

I'm sure Tim would respond himself, but he is busy in his ivory tower. Today is he is scheduled for a manicure, mud bath, and foot massage. Our office is really just a high end Spa.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
12/9/08 9:24 a.m.

Hey Wallens, the real teaser is listing that RUF in-car at Watkins Glen but not including the video...

And yes, i completely agree that flogging a $200,000 RUF weekend in and out against machines that cost a million or more counts as grassroots. Just because its far beyond my own scale doesn't mean its not grassroots compared to the company its keeping up with. Also, its better that RUF spends its days on the track than getting its 4th wax of the week in some froofy garage somewhere. I'm just thankful it exists...

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/9/08 9:26 a.m.
Brian wrote: I am enjoying the 335i editorial (although I do seem to remember it seemed like a purchase rather than a loan in the initial articles). -Brian

We got to fill out the order form. We don't get to keep it.

Margie

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/08 9:31 a.m.
jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
12/9/08 9:44 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: GRM (originally Auto-X) is now in it's 25th year. Back in 1984 the guys who helped Tim and Margie get a foothold were mostly 25-35 years old. Most of these guys back then were driving 240z's, VW's, Honda's, RX-7's etc. Now these guys are 50 years old or so and some of them probably can afford and want a more expensive car.

Hey, don't forget the GLH Turbo! I wrote a C Stock comparison article for the third issue (Feb. 1985) in which my personal Dodge won. No bias there, right?

I'm 50 now and I drive a 16K Sentra.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/9/08 9:56 a.m.

In general I'm not a fan of the new car articles - not just the expensive ones. I like new cars, but as I don't ever see my self being a new car buyer, they don't really do much for me. I made a similar comment during the Mini rash of '04 I like luxo-barges, but I'd just prefer to see them picked up at the bottom of their depreciation curve. I'd be all over a build up on a $20K E39 M5.

That said, I'm a capitalist through and through. I LOVE that the Suddards have turned their dream into a success. I think it's awesome that they get to at least taste the high life after following their dream and working their asses off.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
12/9/08 9:58 a.m.

OK, you can count me in as one of the old crew that's been reading GRM since AutoX, and I can say it is appropriate to include some new car material. Budgets change over the years, going up and down depending on circumstances and family obligations. And I'd wager that there will be a time when you consider getting a new car at some point when you tire of a never ending project. Almost ever car person I know has been through that at some point in their life. The question "what's it like from the other side of the fence?" will come up eventually, sometimes from within yourself, sometimes to appease a family member. Sometimes its the only way to continue to play with cars, trust me, I know from experience. So yes, I do think it's appropriate. Maybe you'd rather have a WRX than a BMW, but the premise is the same.

Also, whether we agree with any inclusion or exclusion of covered material, someone else does, and you have to do the best you can to come up with a balance. I personally think they do a very good job of mixing it up, and although I'm not one to take a new car to track events, there are plenty that do. Hang out a Porsche Club or BMW event. You can "buy" into those events for little money on a budget model (E30, 944, etc.), but there are plenty running new and very expensive stuff on track.

Of course Tim's preferences and biases come through, but that is in my opinion what makes GRM different. It's his and Margie's magazine, they can do what they think best, and the buck stops with them, for better or worse. It's not always an easy place to be, and not everyone will agree with you 100% of the time. But look at what they've done over the years. They have a truly unique magazine in a sea of "same 'ol" publications, and in a way created an entire niche market. They have also assembled a talented staff that sees hardly any turnover, and have always been approachable at events and on the phone. I can't stress enough how rare this is the business world today. Shake their hands at the next event as it takes a lot of work and integrity to pull off.

So cut Tim a little slack, if he wanted a new M3 and write about in the magazine, I'd say more power to him. At least you'd have a different perspective than most of the other publications.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/9/08 10:11 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: ...You probably won't hear from Tim on this because he hasn't been on the board much the past couple weeks. He's been spending all his spare (and non-spare) time taking the GT6 from bare tub to finished roller in the short window between November's SEMA show and December's PRI show....

That "upper crusty" bastard!!! I bet he has to be careful not to spill his tea while scraping off under coating! Hey, how does he weld in a tuxedo with a top hat and monocle anyway?

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
12/9/08 10:13 a.m.

No nasties here, I've met Tim @ shows & found him intelligent & insightful, now that may be because Margie prepped him properly I wouldn't know I'm not a Bimmer fan since the first M3 but crying that it's too expensive to be grassroots is hogwash. Competition is expensive, running against the big guys is grassroots.

Toolpen
Toolpen New Reader
12/9/08 10:14 a.m.

I am a motorcycle guy and have worked in the m/c industry since college, so most of the magazines/books I read deal with motorcycles. But when I ran across a copy of GRM a few years ago, I was impressed with the range of articles and enthusiasm the writers had for their subject and immediately subscribed to GRM and CM. The tech articles are very interesting/informative and I have been able to take much of this information and apply it to my m/c projects. What I like is how the writers do most of the hands-on work themselves. While I doubt I would build a car (too many m/c projects), I will continue to read GRM, no matter the subject. If you write it, I will read it. Thanks, Tim, for a great mag.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/9/08 10:16 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: ...You probably won't hear from Tim on this because he hasn't been on the board much the past couple weeks. He's been spending all his spare (and non-spare) time taking the GT6 from bare tub to finished roller in the short window between November's SEMA show and December's PRI show....
That "upper crusty" bastard!!! I bet he has to be careful not to spill his tea while scraping off under coating! Hey, how does he weld in a tuxedo with a top hat and monocle anyway?

That looks more like Per.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/9/08 10:20 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: That looks more like Per.

Oh come on now, all you "upper crusty" types are pretty much the same to us "low life's".

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/9/08 10:28 a.m.

that does look like me

<------------

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/08 10:31 a.m.

Right now, there's another thread right beside this one celebrating the fact that the Porsche Cayman is now down in the $37k range. A little bit ironic, doncha think?

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S3OOZkBmsCtQXraxbvDc6X4wNsdmwYsHmgQ1J6cy1TAzKv7jzPRR1wh8PVe12qkC