1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/9/08 4:59 p.m.

my take is, although I don't particularly care about cars with 5 digit and up price tags, I'm sure not going to complain about learning on them. nbd.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
12/9/08 4:59 p.m.

I wonder if Worksgarage is trolling again.

I must say I too thought Tim said he had bought the BMW. I was a little let down over that. But hey, a guy (and gal) work their butts off for 25 years doing the American dream and finally get a chance to enjoy.

I feel pretty certain that if BMW needed feedback on the car, they went to right place.

If you want to see douchebags, try some of the other mags.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/08 5:01 p.m.
Vito82 wrote: Ahem. I must ask you all to remove Tim's naughty bits from your collective mouths long enough to hear me out.

Nice way to get my respect.

Vito82 wrote: I don't even have that much of a problem with Tim, I do however have a very large problem with internet tough guys who feel the need to stick up for your hero when I legitimately call him out on his utter hogwash!

It sounds like you have a problem with Tim. Actually it sounds like you are eleven.

Vito82 wrote: It boils down to this-

I am waiting...

Vito82 wrote: A. Tim Knowingly publishes lies to the sheep (ie: you flame-tards) who comb over the pages of his filthy smut rag monthly. He claims that he owned said nazi-mobile, and now claims that the 4th reich over at Baverian Motor Werks owns it instead.

The vehicle is his responsibility, and yes he has referred to it as his.

Vito82 wrote: 2. Tim does in fact own the BMW, and is guilty of being an elitist, pompous bimmer driver, which cannot be futher removed from the grassroots motor scene upon which he has built his massive, fraudulent empire.

BMW drivers get more sex, it is proven because it is on the internet.

Vito82 wrote: iii. Further more sirs and madams of the Internets, you want to know what grassroots is, I will tell you what grassroots is. Grassroots is the scared, stubbly face of a hardened American steel toe boot wearing, factory worker, pulling a double down at the mill. It is certainly not a media mogul socialite debutante palling around with his with his playboy cronies at "upscale track days" where the real grassroots proles are barred entrance from those golden paved diamond encrusted racing circuits.

You are a scared? You wrote it.

Vito82 wrote: This has been the 30,000th anniversary of the claimed purchase of Tim's BMW 335i

?que? Lay off the pipe.

Vito82 wrote: Goodnight and Good luck, stay tuned for Rachel Maddow

Who the berkeley is Rachel Maddow? The internets gave her up... Umm what does she have to do with any of this?

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
12/9/08 5:05 p.m.

If we are commenting on the magazine...

I don't have a problem with the BMW content. I don't have a problem with the fine founders of this magazine not living in poverty. I would hope they would have the money for a BMW given all they have done for the sport/life style/curse that I so love. There are many who have done way less and get more glory/money/recognition, which is a shame but it seems like Tim and Marggie aren't in this for glory/money/recognition.

That being said, I've been a subscriber for longer than I can remember, before that I purchased at book stores when I'd have to ask for rides to the mall from my older sisters. I jumped at the chance to buy old Auto X back issues. I don't post much on here since I'm usually working, studying, or in the shop working on the fleet but I try to check in every now and again.

That being said, I used to pick up issues and think to myself "wow, I can't believe someone would do that to a car I never thought had any potential and turn it in to something completely amazing. Here's a car that is inexpensive to buy and someone put a little money in it and some well thought out upgrades and now they chase down Porsches"

Maybe I'm old and jaded, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. I know people will talk about the 200$ challenges and the berkley, but those just don't seem to be the same. Nothing but the Saab in the current project car list is even remotely interesting to me. The other project cars don't seem to me to be anything that is interesting to me to modify. Open up some catalogs and go faster. Perhaps those cars are what this board likes and maybe this forum is dictating more and more what is in the magazine, which is a shame since there are those of us, and probably some old schoolers like I consider myself, that aren't very active on this board since we have other things to occupy our time. That's not a dig at anyone and not a complaint, if that's what the vocal, paying customers want then that's what they should get. But it does seem like the magazine has changed in it's 15-20 years I've been reading it. What doesn't change in that time period? And some of those changes some people won't like while others will welcome. To me it's been like 51% that I like to 49% I don't like. But it seems like the majority of the things I don't like have just happened recently.

But like I said, it's very likely it's just my morphing in to an old and cranky guy.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
12/9/08 5:20 p.m.
Vito82 wrote: His rather boring Starting Line columns where he praises his own leadership and business skills are nauseating, and it just seems like he's trying to make us feel that he earned this car of his that he praises just as much as he praises himself.

It's ONE PAGE. If you don't like the ONE PAGE in the magazine, don't read it.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/9/08 5:25 p.m.

Hmmm.. I think this thread took a turn for the stupid while I wasn't looking.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/9/08 5:38 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/9/08 5:39 p.m.

Don't call me stupid!!...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
12/9/08 6:46 p.m.

Guess I'll interject my .02 cents worth. Frankly I like the variety of levels of cars in the mag. A BMW in the same mag as Honda Civic's & Miata's. Wide spectrum. Just don't read what doesn't appeal to you. I've seen nicer cars at autocrosses myself, just as others have mentioned. Someone has to cater to their reading needs and if GRM can do both levels once in a while, well.....good for them & more power to them for at least trying to please all levels of privateer autocrossers and track day enthusiests. Besides, BMW 3-series is grassroots compared to the 7-series.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
12/9/08 6:54 p.m.

And no one has even brought up nationals results. Take a look through there and see how expensive and NEW some are. It takes real money to run at the front in most classes, and most of the competitive cars are new without going to a mod class. What if they had a Shelby, GT3, or Lotus? Or a new C6? I mean even a new S2000 loaded is closing in on the BMW, and more expensive than some. Is there anyone that thinks running autocross is not grassroots?

I didn't hear complaints about the S2000 they had a few years ago. Is it because it's a BMW? If so, where is the real snobbery?

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
12/9/08 7:17 p.m.

Salanis hit the nail on the head. This guy probably doesn't care the least little bit about the things he has posted. He's just here to start E36 M3, and that is exactly what he has done. We're all feeding the troll.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/08 7:59 p.m.

Hmmm, that was a long and interesting read.

I have two things. First, I did go back in my archives to review the initial BMW editorial, and it does spell out in plain English that Tim bought the car. Now GRm is taking the stance of "it's a loaner". I do not like being lied to. It's either one or the other, NOT both. Do you in fact own the BMW, as in you bought it and are making payments like the rest of us mortals? Or does BMW in fact let you use it free of charge for some ink? Please answer.

Second, I do agree with "dis"interest in the newer content a little. I can afford a new car, but I don't want payments. 99% of the new cars covered in GRM I read about with relish and enthusiasm (or hot dogs, depending). In fact, the BMW and the Mustang are the only 2 I can even think of not liking, and even then I applauded the choice of a cheaper 335i over the M3 many times. I personally would like to see the 1 instead as it represents even more GRM-style, but the 335i is still relevant to my (future) interests. I would MUCH rather read about a $100 Neon or a used C5 Vette or a back-lot Miata or the Saab Rally Car. I love real projects that take more then bolt-ons. That's why the P71 kind of bores me and I have a 1st Gen RX-7 and a garage full of motors waiting for wrench time.

I will add that I do not appreciate the OP's troll-ism or personal attacks. I'll gladly argue with anybody as long as it's civil (ignorant and I can work up a great ruckus without name-calling and still buy each other beers) but this keyboard-flailing name calling needs to stop. Unless that is Mr. Vito, you like being chased down by a cop car full of angry GRMers...

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
12/9/08 8:07 p.m.

Wow, this guy is a real tool.... To bad he's too dumb to sign back on and banter with us.

I love the range of cars in GRM. I mean come on, I auto-x a 1200 dollar miata but would drive an F1 car every day if I had the $ for it.

I'm proud on Tim and the whole GRM family for what they have made for themselves!!

P.S. A buddy of mine bought a BMW 318ti for 2grand we trolled junk yards and found cheap parts on ebay. Now for a few hundred buck more and A LOT of hard GRASSROOTS type of work he has a sweet BMW daily driver. Does that make him a cock? no, he was one long before

Oh and Vito.... STFU AND GTFO

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
12/9/08 8:07 p.m.
MiatarPowar wrote: Salanis hit the nail on the head. This guy probably doesn't care the least little bit about the things he has posted. He's just here to start E36 M3, and that is exactly what he has done. We're all feeding the troll.

You're both probably right. However, an interesting phenomenon came up in the course of trying to keep the discussion civil.

It seems to me the shorter term readers (<10 yrs) have more issues with the magazine's content than the long term readers do. There's no scientific basis for my conclusion. I have a good idea who's been around awhile and who're more recent readers. There is no right or wrong here but the longer term folks seem fine with whatever direction the editorial staff wants to go while the shorter term people are more specific in what they want the magazine to be.

Am I right?

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
12/9/08 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

In my case, no. But again, perhaps I'm old (33, closing in on 34) and cranky. I've been buying at least the occasional magazine for between 15 and 20 years, not sure how long I've had a subscription but that's around 10 years. I can go back in the archives and see what the oldest issue I have is since I've tried to keep every one I've recieved, but I've moved a couple of times and might have lost a box here or there. Which given that I've tried to keep every issue should tell you that's I've enjoyed the magazine.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/9/08 8:32 p.m.

I wasn't going to be dragged into this, but I suppose it's too late now.

Couple'a things:

1. Vito, your trolling abilities improved greatly between your first post and your second. You're obviously a quick learner.

2. Please do not accuse anyone of being an internet tough guy unless you have the sac to identify yourself. Lobbing insults from behind a protective wall of anonymity hurts your credibility. Personally, I always register on message boards with my real name as my screen name. That way, I know that whatever I may say better have the strength of my own convictions behind it, since I may have to defend it and my reputation as well. If someone want to steal my identity, well, whatever. They can finish the March CMS for me.

3. As we begin our 25th year of publication, I personally begin my 20th year of employment here. In those years I have witnessed, and been party to, suffering that would terrify even the bluest collared, reddest necked, steeliest toed bootiest of trailer-livin', dock workin' Americans. The fact that we have been in business as long as we have is as much a testament to our willingness to accept a low standard of living as our hard work. Whenever you feel like going toe-to-toe in sacrifice points with anyone on this staff, bring it on. I think you will be surprised.

4. We welcome constructive criticism, gripes, whines, grouses, bellyaches and other assorted complaints. It shows that readers care, and want to be a part of creating a larger community. Anonymously impugning another man's character, however, stretches the bounds of civilized discourse. Tim is my boss, and he is also my friend. I welcome you to challenge my boss thoroughly and often to create a better product that better suits your needs. I would ask you though, as a gentleman, to stop attacking my friend.

jg

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
12/9/08 8:40 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Our office is really just a high end Spa.

Well, isn't Belgium a bit colder than Florida? Just don't go off at Burnenville.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
12/9/08 8:50 p.m.

Joe's Office

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/9/08 9:07 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Joe's Office

not grass roots enough for vito

You get this now:

oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
12/9/08 9:10 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Joe's Office

Tommy, if you continue exposing the truth like this, Mom's gonna start considering a new patio.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/9/08 9:23 p.m.

Grassroots enough for you?

Announcing Grassroots Motorsports' New-For-2009 Twisted Metal Challenge! Build it for under 2k and a box of donuts, or die!!

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
12/9/08 9:29 p.m.

Honestly, Tim's column was the sole reason I subscribed in the late-90s. His more recent columns, some of which include bashing the Toyota Prius and subtly -- so very subtly -- rebuking the traditionally conservative car enthusiast base have also been amusing.

I haven't read the 335 thing and doubt I would care much for it. I don't even know what the current 3 series looks like (and I've owned 5 BMWs) and I don't care and won't until its old, used and can be obtained for less than $3k.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/9/08 9:30 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: Grassroots enough for you? Announcing Grassroots Motorsports' New-For-2009 Twisted Metal Challenge! Build it for under 2k and a box of donuts, or die!!

me likey... if we can drop it out of a C130, my bro in law would LOVE it(he was air-born artliery)

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/08 11:30 p.m.

I did go back in my archives to review the initial BMW editorial, and it does spell out in plain English that Tim bought the car. Now GRm is taking the stance of "it's a loaner". I do not like being lied to. It's either one or the other, NOT both. Do you in fact own the BMW, as in you bought it and are making payments like the rest of us mortals? Or does BMW in fact let you use it free of charge for some ink? Please answer.

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
12/9/08 11:31 p.m.

"BMW drivers get more sex, it is proven because it is on the internet."

As long as this continues to be true, I will continue to buy them. Five and counting...

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sc1nydshSXww0fIMii5PvM5eMvDnUMUymG3TzhpuQMpQL9yc3ySt2tLd2gj4QCG7