oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/10/15 3:15 p.m.

why, or why not run a 195/55/15??

My "square" General Exclaims have to go! So I've been doing some tire shopping, typically in the 195/50/15 range since these are close to original overall diameter (175/70/13 = 22.6" diameter, 195/50/15 = 22.7" diameter)

Yesterday I placed an order for tires... 195/55/15

overall diameter: 195/50/15 = 22.7" - 195/55/15 = 23.4" (radius goes from 11.3 to 11.7, or 4/10" - actually difference = 10mm exactly)

Rear will clear no problem, front should clear do to 19mm more front track, and 20mm clearance from tread top(195/50/15) to lower spring perch.

Why I decided to choose the 55 series: 1) To help "correct" speedo error introduced with the 6 speed conversion and diff swap 2) To add a bit more sidewall, hoping for a bit more compliant(softer) a ride.

The car is an older custom Corolla, 2200#, 170hp, so twisting the taller tire isn't a big concern.

So... early this morning the tire seller called me to say it was an unusually tire size and did I maybe want 195/50/15. Feeling a bit less confident, I changed my mind back to 195/50/15... but I have a few days to change it back if I want too....

So... hive... if there is enough clearance... should I stick to my first decision and buy the 55, or go with the "recommended" 50 series?????

If it matters the tire in question is the BFG Comp2, and the seller is Tire Rack (btw... any GRM discounts @ Tire Rack??)

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/10/15 3:19 p.m.

Other than what you mentioned it will affect your gearing kind of like putting a different final drive in but the amount is it will change by is low.

I don't see any bad here

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/10/15 4:04 p.m.

55 or 50 .. no big deal …not that much difference, and I'm not sure what your dealer meant … the 55 aspect ratio is very common on OEM fitments … at least the last 2 new cars I've purchased were 55 aspect ratio (one of them 15 and the other 16 … but still 55)

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/10/15 7:54 p.m.

Tire Rack sides towards caution to be sure that you don't have any problems with different sized tires relative to stock, like rubbing, etc. If you're sure that they won't rub, or you will add spacers or do other changes, etc., you should go with your first choice. They were worried about a similar issue when I ordered tires for my Camaro, but I had them keep my size.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/10/15 8:40 p.m.

It's not a HUGE deal unless you have a small amount of torque, which i suspect you do. For example, my mom changed the tires on her Integra GS (5spd) from 195/50/15 to 195/55/15 and it sucked the life out of that thing. It added just enough weight and polar moment to the wheel/tire assembly that it went from 'ok' to 'bad-ish'.

Of course, it can and probably often does turn out better than that, but the less torque you have, the more sensitive the car will be to how hard the wheel/tire is to turn.

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
3/11/15 6:04 a.m.

TireRack is probably just being cautious, particularly if they know what car it's for. I ordered 195/55/15 BFG Comp-2s last year for a car that officially takes the slightly larger 195/60/15 (which didn't exist in the Comp-2s.) TireRack held the order and verified with me that I hadn't messed up the size accidentally.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/11/15 7:08 a.m.
Vigo wrote: It's not a HUGE deal unless you have a small amount of torque, which i suspect you do. For example, my mom changed the tires on her Integra GS (5spd) from 195/50/15 to 195/55/15 and it sucked the life out of that thing. It added just enough weight and polar moment to the wheel/tire assembly that it went from 'ok' to 'bad-ish'. Of course, it can and probably often does turn out better than that, but the less torque you have, the more sensitive the car will be to how hard the wheel/tire is to turn.

that's where I was coming from … with the "it really doesn't matter" bit … my Integra ('01 LS) came stock with 195/55/15… since I a-x'ed it I bought 205/50/15 and when I sold it I had closer to OEM 195/50/15's

really didn't notice much difference in the way it ran (other then the sticky 205's )

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/11/15 7:11 a.m.
vsquaredbyrho wrote: TireRack is probably just being cautious, particularly if they know what car it's for. I ordered 195/55/15 BFG Comp-2s last year for a car that officially takes the slightly larger 195/60/15 (which didn't exist in the Comp-2s.) TireRack held the order and verified with me that I hadn't messed up the size accidentally.

that makes my suggestion of calling them a bit more viable … you get all that done in one conversation … (the actual order, AND the confirmation that the tire will fit your application)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/11/15 8:55 a.m.

Tire rack has called me when I ordered 225 over the original 215 section tires to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Don't forget TireRack, Discount tires, Belle Tire etc deal with 99.9% 'normal' people and 0.1% enthusiasts. That 99.9% often don't understand tires and the difference between a 205 or a 225, let alone changing aspect ratio. I know people who know nothing at all about their tires and would glaze over at the talk of 15 or 16" wheels. To most people tires are anoying things that cost money to replace every 15 years and 2,50,000 miles or so

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/11/15 10:34 a.m.

The talk of torque may be important... although I doubt it, I'm running about 40% more then the car originally came with. It also came with 3.58 final drive, but is now fitted with 3.90.

A big part of this was a feeling that the Comp2's were going away. Almost all the tire sellers no longer have comp2 inventory, and I was getting that nagging feeling that I needed to respond before it was too late. I saw the 55 was still in stock and I bit. When Tire Rack called, they told me they were expecting them, 50 series, to be delivered to them @ the end of March.

I would have bought the DZ102s except a long time ago I got burned with a set of D60A2s and I'm wary of buying tires from a company I felt burned by.... even if 20 years has past. Guess I'll be 80 before I'll buy another set of Generals.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DecLRTBYHQtiEXxvaKZEebkyY3prl6FMOajdOAiootIfPKRtx0P5dB4bcfq5Ij3y