1 2 3
VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/8/12 5:17 p.m.

I seem to remember in years past there were multiple posts for months leading up to the Challenge to keep me pumped. Even posts from the magazine staff. I've been having to click on the Challenge link on the home page just to stay in the loop. Free tires in your budget and prize money would've generated some chatter in past years. Where is everybody? I've seen Karl's Alpine and the 32 Datsun but maybe I'm missing the others. Clown has been absent.

Not that I'm a 100 percenter or anything close to a Challenge fixture but I was debating on coming due to some difficult scheduling. So, I called a fellow Challenger today only to find out the 2 guys I was looking towards for motivation aren't going this year.

What's the buzz???

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
9/8/12 5:49 p.m.

I plan to show up and watch some of the festivities, but my 1932 datsun replica won't be there. Getting it done would have been iffy, anyway, but my new job has taken all my time....I'm going to have a slightly different schedule in spring, and that might give me time to work on the car.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
9/8/12 5:51 p.m.

Yeah, I'm planning on showing up to watch the 3 cars that show up do some racin'.

corytate
corytate Dork
9/8/12 6:08 p.m.

I really wish I had a the job I was supposed to be in right now. I'd do a fly and drive for sure.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/8/12 7:25 p.m.

There is still quite a few people coming. We will be there but in a back up car. Primary car didn't get done.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/8/12 10:18 p.m.

Here is a pic of the MX-3 I took leaving the garage this evening. Gonna get the engine crane from my brother this week and hopefully have it back together next weekend, and I'll have a few days to run it around before heading to FL with it... Seems about right eh...? Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/8/12 10:31 p.m.

I'm coming with my back up car.

Well, actually it's the back up to my back up.

Hey Bruce! It's a MK1 GTI- right up your alley! Come on down and wrench/ drive with me, if you need motivation!

miatame
miatame HalfDork
9/8/12 10:53 p.m.

Jeep XJ-R will be there! How is everybody else doing?

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/8/12 11:33 p.m.

Anyone who is very Megasquirt savy wanna check out my car? I'm having trouble getting it running, seems to be adjustments, and I have not a lot of familiarity with what's goin on. Matt says I'm getting a lot of noise and adjust the filtering.... I say I'm lost lol

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/9/12 8:32 a.m.

There's another couple cars I wanted to see....

Paul I think it is motivation I lack. Campaign season travel has been rough on us. Tired. You get the front end tightened up on the GTi?

I'm thinking about bringing the Metro if I can get the transmission sealed up. I should have time to get the bars and sway links fabbed up. should

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
9/9/12 8:42 a.m.

I'll be there with the Race Cherokee XJ-R.

I can't wait to get down there, I've been looking forward to coming back since we left the Best Western parking lot in $2010.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
9/10/12 7:06 a.m.

No clown this year, professional clown that is.... Turnout/hype seems low so I'm taking Minissan to HIN in Miami to maybe win some $$$ and get some US coverage. What to do with Uranus... Chumpcar would be fun...

Have fun!!!!

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/10/12 8:42 a.m.

You will be missed but I understand + cash is always better than - .

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/10/12 9:35 a.m.

I wonder if moving the date of the event messed some people up... I didn't notice the date change until a few weeks ago.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
9/10/12 11:19 a.m.

I would love to go again, I miss the event a lot. It was really a turning point for me and got my butt out of the chair and into Autocross and low budget car building. Since I am still in my transitional phase.... maybe in a few years, once I get back on my feet again.

Still there seem to be a few long standing teams that have been very hushed this year? Times are tough all over and that may have something to do with this, but I wonder if its worth GRM's time to make a few calls/emails and see if there is another reason behind the silence... This is a great event, and the people are what make it that way. It would be a shame to have the fire burn out before I am in a position to come back and stomp some butts...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/10/12 12:10 p.m.
sanyarcosean wrote: ...stomp some butts...

Like you did Andy, right?

evildky
evildky Dork
9/10/12 3:08 p.m.

thinking of you bruce

Volvo122
Volvo122 New Reader
9/10/12 6:03 p.m.

We will be spectating again. Still didn't finish our car. Can't wait to see what the Nelson's bring!

Ed

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/10/12 6:09 p.m.

Tasty

evildky wrote: thinking of you bruce
aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
9/10/12 7:13 p.m.

I will be there, with the Mustang and Mongo

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/10/12 7:26 p.m.

Weird, you guys seem to be trying to talk yourselves out of the Challenge by convincing yourselves no one is coming. I think the truth is that we just had most of the staff traveling to Lime Rock, Solo Nationals, Watkins Glen and NASA Nat'ls (and that's just the past 2 weeks' worth), so we haven't been around to give it the full HS pep rally treatment. But hey, if it convinced the clown not to attend, it worked out.

And with that, let the genuine smack begin and the sour-grapes whining end.

Oh, also, Per got back today, so look for some entry list details when he digs out his desk.

Margie

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
9/10/12 7:46 p.m.

This is a throwdown with the valve co challenge . Very nice to see the higher ups come in here to throw some dust

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
9/10/12 9:21 p.m.

Oh, wow, nice hat hair Tom...

Also, see the valve cover racing thread for more information. I updated post number one to include the times and prizes.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/10/12 11:15 p.m.

Ya'all better not be letting me get top 5 drags in my daily driver... I'll be very disappointed.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
9/11/12 5:00 a.m.

:-D I see the MX-6 Mafia doin well, even if it is just You and I Ben ;-)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xHovivfLMQtjxleWM6DzGl1dod1VyBwSfVHipINSbBCmGbeakfibhqRhIwhfND5B