1 2
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/19/13 7:37 p.m.

Yes, it can be done. Even a camper trailer.

You just need the correct equipment.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/19/13 8:13 p.m.

(miata-mini.jpg)

(miata-mini-2.jpg)

failboat
failboat SuperDork
4/19/13 8:18 p.m.

what is this i dont even

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/19/13 8:33 p.m.

Twin V8s for when too much is just enough!

jr02518
jr02518 New Reader
4/19/13 9:56 p.m.

Do you need that much extra weight over the front tires to tow all that beer in the trailer?

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/19/13 10:08 p.m.

Looks like the weight is not too far off center actually.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
4/19/13 10:14 p.m.

Not sure if shopped, or just rednecks.

Knurled
4/19/13 10:17 p.m.

I'm guessing Toro/Eldo trans mated up to a 4WD pickup frame, and then a second engine thrown behind it for good measure, and a hulled-out Miata set mostly over the whole mess.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/19/13 10:22 p.m.

hard to tell but I was towing the mini with the miata

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/19/13 10:31 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Not sure if shopped, or just rednecks.

Not Shopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3VZ1l4qgU

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/20/13 6:44 a.m.

I saw C5 Z06 towing a small trailer with a KTM dirt bike on it the other day. You can tow with anything.

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
4/20/13 8:00 a.m.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
4/20/13 8:04 a.m.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

If that's not a sports utility vehicle I don't know what is.

car39
car39 HalfDork
4/20/13 9:16 a.m.

I was towing home from an event with my 95 and Harbor freight trailer. I couldn't read the speedo easily because of the small steering wheel so I was using my traqmate as a tach / speedo. Did you know when you do that, it records data, because I sure didn't. Towed my tires home at above 75 just to keep up with traffic. Oops.

Knurled
4/20/13 9:37 a.m.

(nsx-fd.jpg)

Now that's my kinda tow rig...

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/20/13 10:36 a.m.

Just out of curiosity, what does the manual say about towing in the miata? My Rx8 manual just says "Do not tow with this vehicle" under the heading "tow rating."

Baylis
Baylis Reader
4/20/13 11:34 a.m.
Knurled wrote: (nsx-fd.jpg) Now that's my kinda tow rig...

What Audis are those?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/13 11:42 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: Just out of curiosity, what does the manual say about towing in the miata? My Rx8 manual just says "Do not tow with this vehicle" under the heading "tow rating."

It says that towing is not recommended.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/20/13 12:38 p.m.

That looks like a rag-top freight train.

A really, really ugly rag-top freight train.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/20/13 2:09 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Rufledt wrote: Just out of curiosity, what does the manual say about towing in the miata? My Rx8 manual just says "Do not tow with this vehicle" under the heading "tow rating."

Somewhere I have pics of my 1st gen RX7 towing a trailer with two dirt bikes. Did great, plenty of room in the hatch for gear bags etc.

And yes that whatever it is in the first pic is 1) super fugly 2) not in the least practical as a tow rig 3) worse than the 4x4 Spitfire.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/20/13 4:07 p.m.
Knurled wrote: (nsx-fd.jpg) Now that's my kinda tow rig...

I just love over on the right seeing all the trailers attached to regular 'ol cars. Not a lot full of people like today who need an F350 to tow their track car around....

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/20/13 5:21 p.m.
codrus wrote:

And that would be for legal reasons. I wouldn't go crazy with it--max I'd feel comfortable with in a Miata would be about 5-600, but if you have the weight balanced correctly it should be no problem if you have half a brain.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/20/13 5:31 p.m.

It says it was a salvage car. Belongs to a tow company owner. I'd have to fill that gap with something... Anything.

My crazy neighbor pulls a horse trailer with a mid 90's GranDamn.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/13 5:31 p.m.

Until you get pulled over. I really wish the govt would say all vehicles can tow up to 1/4 their GVWR weight or 1500 lbs whichever is lower with no federally recognized GCWR (towing not recommended cars)

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/20/13 5:52 p.m.
nocones wrote: Until you get pulled over. I really wish the govt would say all vehicles can tow up to 1/4 their GVWR weight or 1500 lbs whichever is lower with no federally recognized GCWR (towing not recommended cars)

What could they pull you over for? Or more accurately, what could they give you a ticket for? I'm not talking about towing a horse trailer with a Beetle--there is obviously something in the book for that,or at least I would hope so--but say towing a small utility trailer with a Miata/MR2/Solstice?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nsrnaoMn569ypKlknB4JH2q9kNqqDkWMkyxpTUsVzSktwMe3sAAwvZaB5gNJBRVN