1 2 3 4 5
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/3/08 12:49 p.m.

tim, did you just add the different background shades for each consective post? (grey/white/grey/white) it seems new and helps a lot. if we can't have a dark background/light typeface scheme, that's much, much better than nothing. thanks

about the text looking "off". i agree with the others that there is something that has been bugging me about it and now that you mentioned bumping the kerning i think i figured out what was bothering me. i have adjusted the overall type size with my ctrl+scroll a bunch of times but never quite got it right.

it's not the kerning, it's the leading. (ledding? leadding?). the reply box and the preview box are much easier for me to read and i've noticed others say that as well. any way to adjust that?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/3/08 12:54 p.m.

The alternating shades have been there, but the actual shades keep getting changed. leading has also been changed probably 3 or 4 times now. I think the text being off in IE6 was (hopefully) taken care of this morning.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/3/08 1:04 p.m.

Whatever the format is right now (6/3/08, 2:04pm EST) is the best it has been. Thanks!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/3/08 1:11 p.m.

If it's Good With Dave, it's Good. I'm going to go worry 'bout something else, like making it faster or adding a search or something.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
6/3/08 1:38 p.m.

Firefox 2.0.0.14 and IE6 are looking good at home now.

I love all the changes now!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/3/08 1:48 p.m.

I gotta give thanks to you, Bruce. You're mention of UTF-8 being a problem was really what helped find the fix.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/3/08 2:57 p.m.

well, i don't know if you changed the leading or if was the UTF-8 thing being fixed but it looks great now. thanks so much Tim!!!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/3/08 4:19 p.m.

Yep, way easier for me to read, too. Thanks, Baxter.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/3/08 4:21 p.m.

Ok, the text looks much better, but right now I'm on the work computer (IE6.) Hopefully it will look right when I get home (Firefox 2.0.0.14)

At least I can now log in at work.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/3/08 4:25 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Wow, you like the topic previews that much -- "the features that make this format tolerable". Pretty cool, since I don't know any other board that offers that. Seriously, though, VBB was a non-starter (see the FAQ), you seem to be overlooking the many, many changes and fixes happening every day, and just the other day you yourself said your only complaint was the sidebar.

Well VBB offers the mouseover preview, which in my opinion is much more efficient. I think I figured out the other thing that has been bugging me. I'm not sure if its a result of having previews on or not, so I'll reserve complaining about it until I figure this out.. ok I give up, how the hell do I adjust my settings?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/3/08 4:31 p.m.

That mouse-over preview is pretty sweet. Definitely not mission critical, but when you get bored... :)

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/3/08 4:36 p.m.

Let me put it this way: the slower a forum loads pages, the more important some type of preview becomes.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/3/08 4:58 p.m.

The mouseover preview would be pretty sweet, if it wasn't so damn finicky. I'm not sure how VBB triggers the event, but it's pretty damn flakey for me.

To adjust your settings, go to your profile and edit it.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
6/3/08 5:58 p.m.

I havent had any of the complaints or problems that everyone else seems to be having.

So threads like this seem to be pointless to me and take up too much valuable forum space.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
6/3/08 7:00 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: For the guys using IE6, try checking your settings under View, check that your Text Size is reasonable, not too big, and that your encoding is set to Auto-Select, which in turn sets your encoding to Western European (Windows). Some jackhole here at work had set the encoding to UTF-8 which was making it look worse. It's getting better here. Still don't know about the BOLD in the posts.

Ok, first of all I want to say thanks to Tim, that extra bit you added to the kerning is mucho better. Thank you. Also, I tried the above, turned on the auto-select, but that did not set the encoding to Western European, so I did that manually. Also, when I change the text size in the dropdown from View, nothing happens. I've been trying the up & down with the control pressed to try changing the size, no luck. The speed is only occasionally an issue, I figure it's when several people are trying at the same time for something, I have no idea, so I'm sticking to what I know about computers, which ain't much :D Mine hasn't gone to bold, hasn't gone to the old people font size on my computer, it's pretty close to just right.

Thanks again Tim, I appreciate the change.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/3/08 7:02 p.m.

Actually, I put the kerning back where it was. It was really ridiculous when it was tracked out. Nope, Bruce put me on the right track when he suggested it was related to UTF-8 (unicode font encoding) and from there I figured out that IE6 was not obeying the rules I gave it, and between the two, you're now seeing what everybody else was seeing all along.

As for the speed, yeah, it's pretty variable. Sometimes very good, others very bad. But I'm working on it, and making steady progress.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
6/3/08 7:44 p.m.

Well then, thanks to both of ya'll for helping get me straightened out. A tough job according to my wife I will say that the mouseover preview would be nice, but that's a luxury, it can go lower on the list. BTW, I thought I accidentally pulled up a map that showed where the other people were while I was digging around the other day, now I can only pull up an individual's location when I check on their profile. How do I pull that up again?

Lastly, I hate to keep asking for stuff, but would it be difficult to add their location to the right of the name & status, in that little bar?

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/3/08 8:49 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: The mouseover preview would be pretty sweet, if it wasn't so damn finicky. I'm not sure how VBB triggers the event, but it's pretty damn flakey for me. To adjust your settings, go to your profile and edit it.

Ok, now that I've turned off the preview, I can be certain that what is bugging me is this:

By Wowak in

Grassroots

Motorsports

three lines for what should be two, tops. The reason its taking up three lines is because 3/4ths of my screen isn't enough to view the forum properly. Feels really unwieldy.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/3/08 9:17 p.m.

Hoser, go to community, and in the right column, you'll see "view map" or something like that. I keep meaning to add an icon, but forget. More pressing matters.

Wowak, send me a screenshot of that. It doesn't sound right right.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/4/08 12:52 a.m.

Screenshot forthcoming.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/4/08 12:56 a.m.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2550599200_fdf6bf41d7_o.jpg

I'm specifically referring the the "started by" column. That shouldn't run three text lines deep.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
6/4/08 3:16 a.m.
Wowak wrote: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2550599200_fdf6bf41d7_o.jpg

Haha I like subtle use of graphics in your screen shot to get your point across. I think the advertisers love that area though I'm pretty sure most of us don't care for the size of the sidebar either but Tim keeps making it pretty clear that it isn't going to change.

Thanks again Tim for the help. I think there were a couple times everyone thought it was just a few of us making trouble.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/4/08 8:54 a.m.
Wowak wrote: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2550599200_fdf6bf41d7_o.jpg I'm specifically referring the the "started by" column. That shouldn't run three text lines deep.

Jesus. That looks like looking at old person text in a large format book. 14" monitor at 640x480?

I get that from some of the architects here at work. They complain that they don't want to use our CAD files to do their drafting work because they can't see enough of the drawing on the screen. Yup, sure enough, they have their monitors set to 640x480, and when running AutoCAD, the icons, menu bars, etc use up all of the available screen real estate so that they end up with a 320x240 area to view the drawing in.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/4/08 2:35 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Jesus. That looks like looking at old person text in a large format book. 14" monitor at 640x480?

17" monitor, 1024x768.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/4/08 8:46 p.m.

I appreciate the change, Baxter, although now most of the subject lines are rolling to two lines. A step in the right direction, but the right fix would still be to make the left hand column smaller.

Why do I feel like this has become a matter of pride for you that the column will not change?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cTwn6Nq053cjap4cUuvxZT7S3QJD2iYkuBcaKLP1cXjtMBVGw7OGiFwOrJzHADrQ