revhard
revhard Reader
2/22/18 8:36 a.m.

Im losing garage space this week so im planning on moving all my MR2 parts to a buddies garage so that I can complete an engine swap at his place. It's going to rain the day of the move and now im considering renting a Transit 250 van instead of a pickup truck to do the move. Is there any reason 4 feet is too small ove an opening to use an engine hoist to slide a v6 in the back of the van?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/18 8:41 a.m.

You should be just fine. I transported an engine in a VW van before, loaded through the side door.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/22/18 8:45 a.m.

Just shorten up the engine hoist chain as much as possible so the boom clears the roof.

Another way is to leave the chain long, get it in position at the rear of the car, then swing the engine inward while dropping it at the same time. Be sure to record the event in case it all goes wrong.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/18 9:03 a.m.

I've loaded a v8 into the back of a Mercedes wagon with an engine hoist, you should be fine with the van. 

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
2/22/18 9:15 a.m.

I loaded an SR20 engine with transmission out of a Sentra SE-R into the back of a 2006 HHR with room to spare, which is pretty tall for a inline 4. That's things a cavern in comparison. You'll have enough room to almost load up the rest of the car and the engine hoist in that Transit.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
2/22/18 9:17 a.m.

If I can do it with my Fit, you can do it with a full size Transit.

Dave
Dave Reader
2/22/18 9:19 a.m.

Should be plenty big. I put a 4AGE in the back of Nissan Quest by myself.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
2/22/18 9:23 a.m.

I drove around with various small block fords in the back of my van all winter, great for traction and loaded with a cherry picker.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/22/18 9:24 a.m.

In my experience, the biggest potential PITA is if the van doesn't have enough ground clearance to clear the hoist legs.  Varies by hoist and van.   I have to put my GC on double 2x12's to clear the legs of my H-F hoist.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
2/22/18 10:05 a.m.

Not quite the same but I purchased a bare "Real" Boss 302 block from a guy once and when I went to  exchange money for the block with him I just removed the pass. seat from my Fox Mustang notchback and we loaded the block on the floor where the seat would have been.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
2/22/18 10:18 a.m.
EvanB said:

I've loaded a v8 into the back of a Mercedes wagon with an engine hoist, you should be fine with the van. 

We loaded a miata motor in the back of a VW golf also. 

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
2/22/18 11:47 a.m.

Yep, van's are great.  Used this 1990 Vanagon to haul a Subie 6cyl.  Have hauled lots of other engines and stuff in the middle of Vanagons.

[URL=http://s61.photobucket.com/user/greggearhead/media/Vanagon%20wheels/DSC_0147_zpsy0vd4z5q.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s61.photobucket.com/user/greggearhead/media/Vanagon%20wheels/DSC_0729_zpsotzhrro5.jpg.html][/URL]

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/22/18 11:51 a.m.

Just please secure it to something in the loading area of the van.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/22/18 11:53 a.m.

I've carried a V8 inside a VW Bug. 

Whats the problem??  wink

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/22/18 11:55 a.m.

You could carry many engines in a van.  I’ve moved a whole Alfa V6 in a Mazda3 hatch, a Honda D15 in a CRX, a Jeep 4.0 in the back of an XJ Cherokee, and a Honda D16 engine block in the trunk of an NSX. A transit has plenty of room!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VzMBMopVhsb8X9vITUwZWOLURiNoIf4My9h0SyljRkxjAkmHmGBywpSgh2AM8Keg