1 2
Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/18/13 1:53 p.m.

Absolutely an ACR. I'm really, really envious that you picked that up for under a grand. How many miles on it?

Throw a timing belt and tensioner on it, change the fluids and brake pads. Buy and install a set of Booger Bushings from my buddy Jeff Ball.

Then flog the everloving piss out of it. It will enjoy every minute, and so will you. Those things are hairy little beasts.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/18/13 1:54 p.m.

Those are cool little cars. I've always wanted one. Nice snag!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/18/13 2:42 p.m.
Duke wrote: How many miles on it?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/13 3:00 p.m.

What's your asking price?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/18/13 4:07 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
Duke wrote: How many miles on it?

Cheebus. As clean and straight as that thing looks, you got a serious deal. I will say, though, that's about 20k past the timing belt service interval. So unless you have documentation that it was changed, I would do the belt, idlers/tensioners, and the water pump post haste. It's definitely an interference engine.

Also, check for (and install if missing) the oil restrictor in the breather line.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/18/13 4:36 p.m.

the timing belt cover is all broke to hell. presumably when someone changed it. the belt looks nice, if you can tell that sort of thing.

i'm still kind of assessing what all I'm gonna have to do to it before I decide a price. I'm so used to seeing the rocker panels blown out, I didn't even notice some rust around the windshield. Totally repairable, but a factor nonetheless. It needs a new windshield anyway, so I'll have it out and can fix it right.

the headlights are aftermarket. they're not hazy like the oem ones get, but they're obviously cheap junk.

the clearcoat on the wheels is peeling. thankfully they're not too corroded.

that's all so far....

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/19/13 6:32 a.m.

Take a pic and put it in your wallet, so when your in the old folks home you can talk about the one time you bought an ACR without even knowing it. Congrats!

parker
parker Reader
9/19/13 6:37 a.m.

The only difference between a 1st gen ACR and R/T is the ACR has Koni's and stronger hubs and the R/T has a rear spoiler and foglights and could be had with a sunroof.

Springs, swaybars, transmission are all the same between the two.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
9/19/13 6:49 a.m.
Duke wrote: Does it have body-color door handles? If yes, it's an ACR. If not, it's a Sport with missing foglights... at least for '98 and '99.

The R/Ts also had body colored door handles.

Duke wrote: That looks like maybe a Vibrant piece. The wide-space duals like that didn't appear until the second gen.

Or a Flowmaster Series 40. Vibrant and Flowmaster were the popular choice for after market mufflers. I had the Series 40.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/19/13 9:44 a.m.
jdbuilder wrote: Take a pic and put it in your wallet, so when your in the old folks home you can talk about the one time you bought an ACR without even knowing it. Congrats!

i was just thinking that. the grandkids are gonna get bored as I rattle it all off. ".... and the time I bought an '85 AE86 GTS for $500. Or the '86 4x4 XT-turbo I paid $700 for. Or my '92 SE-R and '94 Miata, $1,500 each. bought a black 2dr E30 SuperETA for $1,100...."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlNfkBgVPFezm7sc27zI4IgkKJf3gmhb57eMYnGdtovxHFmQOo8HdfHtYWA4FMXo