1 2
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
7/16/20 10:43 p.m.

Nothing says 80's cocaine crazy like a Testarossa.  Or a Countach.

Loved the long sequences in that show of cars and boats with music.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/17/20 2:51 a.m.

Daytona, but I only ever saw one episode of that show. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/20 8:13 a.m.

There was also Phil Collins Jalpa:

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/17/20 8:31 a.m.

Nothing good to say about the Cheesegrater.

Contemporary road reports, if I recall, declared that the car was so wide that is was not drivable in many old European towns.

The  massive front overhang hints at the desperate need for dimensional enhancement that so many of the buyers were looking for.

Yeah, I don't think the TR has aged so well, whereas the Daytona is a timeless beauty (even if the subject was a replica).  

The GTO (any GTO, really), was just the business.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/17/20 10:13 a.m.

I'd vote the yellow Daytona wins in the Barbara version of the movie "A Star is Born".  And let the Testarossa win with Miami vice because it was so "80s Miami".

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/20 11:09 a.m.

A little off-topic, but I just googled "Miami Vice body..." and it instantly finished the sentence and served up this.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/17/20 1:10 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I'm going to have to go Testarossa on this one. Nothing cuts through the night like a pair of pop-up headlights lifting out of the hood.

Spoken by a former Fiero owner?  (I used to own one and the headlights would start to get excited and rise when you got above 100 mph, without even being turned on).

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/20 6:28 p.m.

Fun show!  The cars were stars, of course, but the weekly guest stars were a "who's who" of Eighties celebrities.

I always liked how two detectives could ride around town in a Ferrari, busting drug kingpins week after week and apparently none of the bad guys had ever heard about them. laugh

But I guess there is a little fantasy in all shows, and you have to take the leap of faith if you want to enjoy the show. 

On a related note, I loved Enzo in "The Art of Racing In The Rain", and had no problem with a dog sharing his perspective on the world.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/20 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) :

Well, it was pre-bad guy Facebook. But, yeah, how about keeping things on the D.L.? See also: Starsky & Hutch.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/18/20 11:15 a.m.

I can go either way. The Daytona was a better looking cruising car but the TR looked cooler blazing thru Miami in car chases.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/18/20 1:18 p.m.

Daytona.

And that chase scene (beginning at the 1:02 mark of the posted video) with the Lambo Countach is 80's Pure Gold.

Thanks for sharing.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/18/20 1:49 p.m.

Daytona I like it better plus I love c3 corvettes having grown up with a 69 427 convertible.

lynhurd
lynhurd
7/19/20 10:31 a.m.

I'm a fan of the Daytona for sure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KXsVqNR00xwAQvg0j053C4KC7eixvgxoaIIKQ3aJ2HIZn62mq5hjpcZH4xboAnzp