mbmsg
mbmsg
12/19/08 1:35 p.m.

Need to update the Mrs's. ride.

Need AWD and third row.

Looking at a Volvo Xc90 2006 30k on the clock, Nav, leather, 5cyl turbo. 17k

and a Honda Pilot 2006, 28k, v6,cloth int. 18k

Leaning towards the Volvo just becuase it is loaded up, and I really like the look and feel of it. Just a little concerned about the motor and tranny holding up for another 100k, due the overall weight of the vehicle.

Of coarse the Pilot is rather boring but no concerns about its ability to go another 100k.

Read a bunch on-line reviews, noticied alot of driveline issues, transmission, wheel bearings, rear seal failure around 50-60k right after warrenty is done. However couldnt tell what year there vehicles were and if it is an issue with the newer models.

Anybody with any real world experience, volvo service mngr, dealer mechanic or owner on this board and would like to give opinion?

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/19/08 3:09 p.m.

I can jump in here. I bought my wife an 05 XC90 two years ago. Then, we got a steal but compared to your price, I am afraid to look up the value of that car now. Any hoot, we have the 2.5t FWD XC90 with the third row. So far we have loved the car. It is big and heavy though! I am looking into welding up a new downpipe for the car but that is another story.

We got the 100k mile warranty on the XC90 which covers most of the big stuff. If you go with the AWD, you will always have to be weary of the 'angle gear.' Volvo however, has addressed the issue on most of the AWD cars. Basically, you need to change the fluid every 50k miles.

I personally don't see any issue with either going the extra 100k. I plan on driving the Volvo until the car dies. Volvo service managers can be spotty, recommend going to www.swedespeed.com to research your area. Good website, you will also notice I am still on there as well. The search tool is hard to use but does have a lot of good info. The R forum is very active and most of the others are not.

Did that help?

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
12/19/08 3:59 p.m.
Rangeball wrote: I can jump in here. I bought my wife an 05 XC90 two years ago. ... I plan on driving the Volvo until she dies.

Here's hoping that Mrs. Rangeball has a long and healthy life!

I can't offer much on the XC90. We have a '96 855 and an '07 XC70. Our experience with the '96 is that it nickled and dimed us but the basic car was sound enough to feel comfortable buying a new one.

'96 has 108k, '07 just had its first birthday yesterday and has racked up an modest 5400 miles with no issues except needing a new audio amp under warranty.

EDIT- MPG isn't much of a concern for me given the low mileage she drives, but the XC70 gets only about 18 around town. I'm guessing the XC90 wouldn't be any better and might be worse.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/19/08 5:23 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: MPG isn't much of a concern for me given the low mileage she drives, but the XC70 gets only about 18 around town. I'm guessing the XC90 wouldn't be any better and might be worse.

We get around 17-19 mpg city and 23-24 mpg on the hwy. I guess I need to go edit my post. Funny catch!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kxt8on0SpcebwCDL4woHoRCJL0p7fhFlWcHtWooO15DrWyRZhG1qd2JRC4imYAs5