1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/16 5:18 a.m.

No, there is no scheduled service. The guy is selling the car because he doesn't want to spend $4-5k to have someone else do it.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
1/4/16 5:58 a.m.

On my VR6, when the timing chain failed it was due to a failed hydraulic tensioner. Driving along a state highway, very understressed, small shudder and then just shut off. We coasted to the side of the road.

Entirely new timing chain assembly and new valves (interference design) in the rebuild. But runs like a champ now!

For packaging purposes have you looked into a VR6 instead of the W8? Stouter motor and exhaust on just one side may be selling points. I like your idea of swapping in the AWD as well, somewhere I heard there is a turbo charged AWD VR6 Miata. Might be folklore, I can't imagine owning a beast like that an never showing it off.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/16 6:41 a.m.

A VR6 would actually be a much more realistic swap. The W8 just popped in my head while surfing the web.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/16 8:06 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Plus an uncorked VR6 sounds like pure sex...very Italian sounding IMO.

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/4/16 8:24 a.m.

Agree on the sound; one came by with some sort of sport exhaust and it sounded really nice. There are a couple people thinking of putting them into a Midlana though I'm wary of the weight, still haven't found what that is. Still, putting the entire lump into the back seat would be pretty cool.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/16 9:51 a.m.

In reply to kb58:

Back when I had dreams of a Hawk Stratos replica, the VR6 seemed like a good budget mill for it...at least it would sound somewhat Italian, and it's certainly more available/affordable than a Dino V6.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
1/4/16 10:10 a.m.

How about VR6 sound with a layer of turbo goodness spread over it?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/obF43dyLcbU

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/16 11:57 a.m.

Ugh... why do people think VR6s sound good? You can HEAR the lopsided heavy-ass pistons and the thoroughly inefficient water jacket layout...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epLrDxJvSxVfuHkVEGMtALlnYqLZtqGozBpeFTtVi6xYfvMP5sbQxXukkJiuMbcD