Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
7/12/10 10:35 p.m.

...and when I say "best", I mean "most able to withstand abuse and maintain calibration". American-made would be super neat. I have a 20+ year old accu-gage that I love, but it's no longer in calibration.

Ideas?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
7/12/10 10:42 p.m.

Combine quality brass or stainless air chuck with short braided stainless hose and the best quality mechanical pressure gauge you can afford from McMaster-Carr. Set you back $25-500 depending on your calibration desires.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/12/10 11:03 p.m.

I'm pretty sure GRM had a comparo a few months back and the electronic ones came in first in accuracy, even the cheap ones were better than some of the more expensive mechanical ones.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/12/10 11:09 p.m.

I got a pencil gauge to "explode" when I used is on a 65(?)psi doughnut spare

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
7/12/10 11:17 p.m.

You'll put your eye out and we'll lose the house.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/13/10 11:53 a.m.

I have a "pencil"-type gauge left over from my aviation days. This one goes to 150 PSI and isn't as small as a pencil, it's about 10-12 inches long and is the most accurate gauge I've run across. Even more accurate that the fancy dial gauge w/release button which reads exactly 3 PSI low.

eastpark
eastpark New Reader
7/13/10 11:59 a.m.

I remember the article and recently bought a Michelin-branded gauge that cost about 10 bucks. My question for the fine folks on the board is how do you go about checking the calibration?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
7/13/10 12:32 p.m.

I've got a Camel brand digital i've had for 12+ years! it still within 1/2 lbs when i check it with the cal standard we have here at work. It was cheap too think it was $8 or so. It measure to the 1/2 lbs but if its right in the middle it will toggle back and forth so darn close to 1/4psi.

I used to use a mech unit heres a tip for you if your the it has to be mechanical type guy. Buy a beer can cozzie poke hole in the side near the bottom and feed the hose through the hole push guage down to the bottom you've now got a foam ring around it this will keep the impacts down and aids in shading the sun on race day.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/13/10 12:36 p.m.

In reply to eastpark: Have an HVAC guy check it against his gauges??

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/13/10 12:37 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: I used to use a mech unit heres a tip for you if your the it has to be mechanical type guy. Buy a beer can cozzie poke hole in the side near the bottom and feed the hose through the hole push guage down to the bottom you've now got a foam ring around it this will keep the impacts down and aids in shading the sun on race day. 44

Doesn't the condensation from the beer can get all over the guage?

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/13/10 1:00 p.m.

I don't know where these are made...

This is the best gauge that I have found, bar none.

http://www.mensor.com/model2500dpg.htm

If $3500 is too rich for your blood, use this cheapie:

http://www.gesensing.com/downloads/datasheets/920_181a.pdf

But you are only at 0.01% FS above 15 psi - weak.

This might be easier to use:

http://www.gesensing.com/downloads/datasheets/920_110b.pdf

But now you're into 0.014% FS - that's over a hundredth of a psi off on a 100 psi gauge! I don't know how much that last cheapo gauge costs, but the DPI 150 is a bargain at only $1400.

Hey, they're your tires...

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/13/10 6:53 p.m.
eastpark wrote: I remember the article and recently bought a Michelin-branded gauge that cost about 10 bucks. My question for the fine folks on the board is how do you go about checking the calibration?

At our old shop we used to have a air manifold with a regulator at one end and a schrader valve at the other. Hook up a air line before the regulator and set it to a variety of pressures while checking your tire pressure gauge against it

eastpark
eastpark New Reader
7/13/10 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Marty!:

Great suggestion - Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DS9b9ZRStbUfolAvcPFRO8nA9yfrLMpNwHwpIkNcc4zHn4Gc8CHNly53rzulql6v