paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/28/16 5:41 p.m.

I was looking at the Detroit SCCA rally cross schedule just now- has the March 20 Wauseon event been rescheduled? Does someone in the know know?

My fingers are crossed it's this weekend. I can't wait to check out an event!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/16 6:29 p.m.

http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?49977

Official word is April 2nd. Unless the skies open up again.

Wauseon is a dirt oval, basically it's a clay autocross. Very gentle on cars. Don't just spectate, drive!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/16 7:59 p.m.

Yep, April 2nd. And I still don't have a car ready. At least I have the parts for the Miata so I can make some events this year.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
3/28/16 8:30 p.m.

Latest Facebook post on it is talking about with the possibility of rain on Saturday it may need to be rescheduled yet again, but for right now it's still this weekend.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/28/16 10:33 p.m.

Thanks guys! Big fat duh on my part, I forgot about their forum

If I can make it this Saturday it will be for recon only. I'll have my youngsters with me. I want to look around and ask some questions to make sure I get the car right before I show up to drive it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/29/16 6:51 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I want to look around and ask some questions to make sure I get the car right before I show up to drive it.

If the car makes it there under it's own power it should be good enough.

Knurled
3/29/16 1:56 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Unless you have a cracked windshield.

IIRC someone from there wanted to make that a national-level safety rule. Which would suck, because I would have to stop rallycrossing.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/29/16 2:45 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to EvanB: Unless you have a cracked windshield. IIRC someone from there wanted to make that a national-level safety rule. Which would suck, because I would have to stop rallycrossing.

I'm pretty sure it would get there. Knock on wood no cracks in the windshield.

I guess I'm having flashbacks from working the tech shed long ago at club races. "I'm sorry sir, but you can't run your car because of (insert infraction here). I understand you drove ten hours to get here..." I know that's an extreme...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/31/16 2:13 p.m.

I am a definite maybe for this

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
3/31/16 2:35 p.m.

Not sure how much it differs, but we recently took our little 318i to a rallycross. It had a whole slew of issues, including sizeable chips in the windshield in the early stages of becoming cracks. Our brakes were super spongy and the battery was ratchet-strapped down. They passed us no questions asked.

The whole event was very relaxed and fun. They didn't start on time and everyone was just super chill. Kind of a stark contrast to autocross, where they start right on the dot and rail you for being late. I also had someone try and chew me out for not taking my floor mats out while racing autocross. Puhleeze.

Anyways, not sure how much it differs from location to location, but so long as the car is generally safe where it matters, im guessing you'll be fine.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/31/16 2:39 p.m.

Weather.com says 60% chance of rain on Saturday. I'm rooting for the 40% chance of no rain!

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
3/31/16 2:41 p.m.

Rallycross tech usually does seem to care about the floor mats. Personally, I hate that, considering when the course is muddy and I have heavy rubber floor mats that won't move in anything less than a rollover, I'd rather not have to get home and scrub the carpeting...

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
3/31/16 2:47 p.m.

Also, I would say a light rain is absolutely ideal for rallycross, generally. Keeps the dust down and allows for grip without it getting too nasty. We started on a damp dirt track that was awesome all morning. No dust while working the course and plenty of grip. By the end of the day, it was a dust storm, and big piles of dry dirt had been pushed to the outside of the major corners. If you got into that stuff, your run was pointless because the car would push like it was quicksand.

Thats my opinion anyways!

Knurled
3/31/16 2:47 p.m.

Detroit is anal retentive about glass, wheel bearings, brake pedal, battery mounting/covering, etc. Comprehensive safety inspection.

And rain sucks. Always.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
3/31/16 3:03 p.m.

I'm registered and really hoping it doesn't get cancelled. I want to have fun!

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
3/31/16 3:16 p.m.

Also it says rain showers possible later in the day Saturday so if we get no rain tomorrow and it stays windy it just might work out perfect.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/31/16 7:00 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: Rallycross tech usually does seem to care about the floor mats. Personally, I hate that, considering when the course is muddy and I have heavy rubber floor mats that won't move in anything less than a rollover, I'd rather not have to get home and scrub the carpeting...

Floor mats? Really? Ok, I guess if it's a big deal to them.

And thank you as well Knurled, those are exactly the things I was wondering about.

As of right now I'm planning on bringing my kids with me to check things out.

Knurled
3/31/16 7:27 p.m.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that they want to ensure nothing preventable happens... they usually hit their car count cap and with that many people any delays suck. But it is also tiring to have to say every time that there is SUPPOSED to be play in the wheel bearing, it is not a preloaded style bearing, if you preloaded it then it would fail rapidly, and anyway the inner races are a slip fit over the spindle snout and you will always be able to feel that even if you cranked the nut down tight like you're not supposed to...

I also nearly went apeE36 M3 when one of them pulled the glued-in floor mat out of my VW. Pissed me off all to hell. Couldn't do anything about it because it was one of my friends, but the car was never "right" to me after that. Oh well, them's the rules.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
4/1/16 9:33 a.m.

Via Facebook this event has been cancelled. Looking to reschedule for next weekend if possible.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/1/16 12:59 p.m.

Thats because ohio is a swamp right now lol.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/1/16 2:48 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Don't get me wrong, I totally get that they want to ensure nothing preventable happens... they usually hit their car count cap and with that many people any delays suck. But it is also tiring to have to say every time that there is SUPPOSED to be play in the wheel bearing, it is not a preloaded style bearing, if you preloaded it then it would fail rapidly, and anyway the inner races are a slip fit over the spindle snout and you will always be able to feel that even if you cranked the nut down tight like you're not supposed to... I also nearly went apeE36 M3 when one of them pulled the glued-in floor mat out of my VW. Pissed me off all to hell. Couldn't do anything about it because it was one of my friends, but the car was never "right" to me after that. Oh well, them's the rules.

They pulled a glued in floor mat?

Thank you for the update MrLittle!

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
4/5/16 6:24 a.m.

According to Facebook, officially rescheduled for the 9th now. And last chance if this weekend is rained out it's cancelled.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
4/5/16 8:26 a.m.

8 spots open as of now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hGU9zx1vmRoByx1Zpf7F52iXAHbYOy7nvfDfAtjprWksSUrDtBRj54BnMYWiIRgm