1 2 3 ... 14
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/1/23 11:02 a.m.

I've been thinking a lot about how to have a great EV thread. Because the past few, well, haven't been....

So how's this for an idea: A thread about EVs where we don't talk about the fuel source. After all, when a new Mustang comes out we don't spend the whole thread talking about oily penguins or how cancer rates spike near all sorts of oil refining operations. We talk about the Mustang and take the pros and cons of its fuel source for granted. 

So, here it goes. A thread about EVs where we don't talk about electricity. 

I'll start: I'm spending a week with a new Mercedes EQE SUV in August. One of these:

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class/eqe/suv

Think it will be great? Terrible? I'm not sure I love the amorphous blob styling, but maybe it will look better in person. There's probably a reason Mercedes' lead photo is of a dark car at night.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/1/23 11:09 a.m.

Maybe we limit it to ACTUAL production cars and not news releases of things not yet in existence? That would probably fix most of the issues. 

Speaking of, did y'all get to spend any time with the Ioniq 5 N?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
8/1/23 11:10 a.m.

It DOES kinda look like a threatening blob, doesn't it?

I know that we have a forum member here that works for Aptera; have you thought about pulling that string for an early demo car? THAT car I'm super excited for!

Tom Suddard
8/1/23 11:10 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Maybe we limit it to ACTUAL production cars and not news releases of things not yet in existence?

Oh, yeah, I'm cool with that too. 

Tom Suddard
8/1/23 11:12 a.m.
bobzilla said:

We haven't seen the N yet, but I LOVED the Ioniq. It's deceptively huge--like, it's not a little hatchback despite being styled like one--but it's a fantastic car otherwise. Sort of like a Tesla without the insanity baked into every decision.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/1/23 11:15 a.m.

I've seen a couple of the EQ models in the daylight, but I'm not sure exactly which ones they were.  They weren't horrible-looking, but the one I saw most recently was a sedan and they did that down-drooping backside kind of like how the CLA looks (or looked?  do they still make that?).  I was never a big fan of that design.  I do, however, very much like what they've done with the front.  The one thing that I absolutely hate about how Tesla models look is the place where one would expect a grille.  Sure, you don't really need one there on an electric and that's cool.  But they have this flat area that looks like a Lego car that you didn't put the sticker on or something.  Like there SHOULD be a grille there, but someone just forgot.  The EQ applies a similar motif to what the rest of their cars have and I just think it looks better that way.

My biggest question is if it plays the first two notes of the Night Court theme song when you get in like their other cars do.

Tom Suddard
8/1/23 11:17 a.m.

One of these maybe? Yeah, the styling is, uh, present.

And this solves the Tesla grille problem:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-184-grill?srsltid=ASuE1wRNGGVgPLjm_gRWOdgoEYMWD7A3yVzZh-RmeMXqsOG1YiK3nNYq8NU

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/1/23 11:18 a.m.

I like these better...

The Tesla 3 is supposed to be intoduced this year. At least one of the other three is probably in production in China. We probably won't get the small one here.

I would rather drive a sports car than a blob.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/1/23 11:21 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Maybe we limit it to ACTUAL production cars and not news releases of things not yet in existence? That would probably fix most of the issues. 

Hyundai/Kia have a class action lawsuit against them for their Level 2 charging problems.  The charger connection becomes too hot, and effectively shuts down the charging.  If I remember right, the software update slows the charging significantly when the connection becomes heated.  People are suing because they aren't getting the Level 2 that they paid for.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/1/23 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Yeah, I think that's the one I saw on the road the other day.  They're okay, but I'm not wowed.  The view of the rear was disappointing.

If I had a Tesla, I'd probably buy that sticker from Summit.  Or something like it.  I think it kind of finishes the look.

8/1/23 11:27 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

And this solves the Tesla grille problem:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-184-grill?srsltid=ASuE1wRNGGVgPLjm_gRWOdgoEYMWD7A3yVzZh-RmeMXqsOG1YiK3nNYq8NU

I never thought the Tesla grille was a problem. Why does it need one? Form follows function.

It actually reminds me a Corvair.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/1/23 11:33 a.m.

Mercedes' amorphous blob styling is the yin to BMW's offensive angles yang. Two E36 M3 sides of the same E36 M3 coin. Especially compared to the Ioniq 5, which proves EV's don't have to be that ugly. Who would have ever thought Hyundai/Kia would be making more attractive cars than both BMW and MB?

wae
wae PowerDork
8/1/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Perhaps different models are able to style it better than others, but that one there just looks to me like someone forgot something before it rolled out of the factory.

But any discussion about styling is certainly going to be very subjective.  Even the ugliest baby has a momma who loves him.

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
8/1/23 11:35 a.m.

Does anyone have the sort of contact at Tesla that would get me a Euro-spec rear bumper and trailer hitch? I do NOT want to use Scotch-Loks to install the wiring for a hitch on the Model 3 I'm buying in a month. 

maschinenbau
8/1/23 11:37 a.m.

The Tesla grill is a problem. I agree they look like they were designed for a grill, then just forgot about it. They all look unfinished. Combined with the awkwardly swoopy greenhouse, every time I see a Tesla I can't help thinking of the dorky little car from Austin Powers Goldmember. Which is coincidentally an EV.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/23 11:41 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

It DOES kinda look like a threatening blob, doesn't it?

I know that we have a forum member here that works for Aptera; have you thought about pulling that string for an early demo car? THAT car I'm super excited for!

+1 on that, been following along with them and there is some really interesting engineering going in to it. The 3 motor version is supposedly pretty quick too. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/23 11:41 a.m.

Sorry, Tom, they'll find this and ruin it, too. It's only a matter of time.

8/1/23 11:43 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Perhaps different models are able to style it better than others, but that one there just looks to me like someone forgot something before it rolled out of the factory.

But any discussion about styling is certainly going to be very subjective.  Even the ugliest baby has a momma who loves him.

It isn't the grille on that model. It looks more like a blob than the sleeker Tesla 3 or the Tesla 2.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/23 11:49 a.m.

Has anyone else looked at the Audi EV's?

We have a Q5 e-tron PHEV that we really love, but when it comes time to replace it we are leaning hard towards picking up an e-tron (the SUV, now named Q8 e-tron with more range and other upgrades). As much as I'd love an e-tron GT (the super sexy sports sedan), it costs more than my first house. We are waiting to see what the upcoming A5/A6 e-tron is going to be like, as they might be in our price range. The new Q4 e-tron (VW something or other) is super disappointing from a driving dynamic and interior quality standpoint compared to our Q5.

I am also super interested in the new VW bus EV because I love functional microvans.

Q5 e-tron (not ours):

Q8 e-tron:

e-tron GT:

Q4 e-tron:

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/23 11:54 a.m.

Possibly of interest to electrically inclined GRM'ers as well:

https://vanderhallusa.com/models-santarosa-ev-electric-autocycle/

Only three wheels, so banned from autox and such GRM activities but still possibly fun. Seems like you have to go 3-wheeler nowadays on anything new to get a sub-1000lb curb weight due to all the safety legislation on cars.

They made the Edison^2 a few years ago and Jay Leno seemed to like it well enough, this seems to be the follow on to that.

Not cheap though.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/23 11:58 a.m.
wae said:

The one thing that I absolutely hate about how Tesla models look is the place where one would expect a grille.  Sure, you don't really need one there on an electric and that's cool.  But they have this flat area that looks like a Lego car that you didn't put the sticker on or something.  Like there SHOULD be a grille there, but someone just forgot.  The EQ applies a similar motif to what the rest of their cars have and I just think it looks better that way.

I don't hate the Tesla grille-shaped non-grille but it is weird and kind of funny, it sort of seems like the car is wearing a medical mask. The Summit decal is interesting.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/23 12:00 p.m.

I want a Citicar.  Dusterdb13 thinks I'm crazy.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/23 12:00 p.m.

We spent a few hours with a Mercedes EQB, the Mach-E is pretty much better in everyway (including features and interior). It is ugly as well. I was told the EQE and EQS are where you want to start in MB EVs.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/1/23 12:02 p.m.
Stampie said:

I want a Citicar.  Dusterdb13 thinks I'm crazy.

Both statements can be true.

maschinenbau
8/1/23 12:11 p.m.
Javelin said:

e-tron GT:

I've seen these on the road and had to do a double-take it was so drool-worthy. Much better looking than any other EV sedan, including the Taycan which I find kinda ugly. 

1 2 3 ... 14

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
2Iuqjgzp2WjjgRwMDPx2dEfMMmQKUVtxvqPV4V4ADm46P3QfavwMNef5wb41Beko