Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/6/15 7:34 p.m.

Carquest had its corporate HQ in Raleigh, where I live. It was pretty nice being able to shop at the warehouse next to the corporate offices. The level of service was excellent, the knowledge was deep and the parts selection was great.

The signs were changed from Carquest to Advance Auto recently. The merger has been a done deal for a while now, and the level of service has been slipping. The counter guys I used to see every time I went in there seemed to have all been gone the last time I went in there. Now that the signs have changed, I'm wondering if it is going to get better or worse.

I can imagine I'm going to be shopping at NAPA more.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/6/15 7:37 p.m.

I bought a Carquest water pump from Advance last week. They gave me a "ToughOne" brand. Not sure if I got screwed.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/6/15 7:43 p.m.

Anytime it's labeled as that, it is far from. You got hosed tommy, you got hosed.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/6/15 9:31 p.m.

I like Carquest and i like Advance.

I like Carquest for service. I like Advance for 30% off online coupon.

Im sure i'll still have my 30% off online coupon, but hard to say whether the Carquest level of service will survive...

Brett_Murphy
1/6/15 11:05 p.m.

Hmm. I've not gotten a 30% off coupon in a while.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
1/6/15 11:16 p.m.

One of my local Carquest stores has a machine shop, now i'm wondering if the machine shop will be around once the merger runs it's course.. Another Carquest here specializes in paint and auto body repair supplies. This concerns me greatly, we've already lost a lot of good parts stores in the area due to the big chains, Carquest and Napa are pretty much all that's left of the "old school" parts stores that arent advance o zone..

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
1/6/15 11:56 p.m.

I haven't been in a CarQueers that was worth a crap since...ever.

NAPA or OEM ordered off Amazon if I want good parts, otherwise whoever has Rotella T the cheapest gets my business.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/15 5:31 a.m.

I hadn't heard of this yet. I know the two CarQuests in our area are both independently owned, I wonder what will happen to them?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/7/15 7:41 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Independent stores should stay as they are. The corporate owned CQs are the ones that will likely be converted to AAP stores.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
1/7/15 8:19 a.m.

The one over on East Milbrook? Sad. Used to actually enjoy going to that one even though someone was murdered in the parking lot not too long ago.

Oh and...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/7/15 8:27 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Hmm. I've not gotten a 30% off coupon in a while.

Online order, use TRT30 discount code.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
1/7/15 8:42 a.m.

Yeah, I got to NAPA when I need quality parts and/or a good staff, but Advance or VatoZone when I need basic stuff/discounts. RockAuto when I plan ahead or it is a unique part.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/15 9:09 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: In reply to petegossett: Independent stores should stay as they are. The corporate owned CQs are the ones that will likely be converted to AAP stores.

yes, but - there is still the parts problem. Apparently they say none of the parts are going to be made differently, but they will be in new boxes.... so take that for what it is.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
1/7/15 9:20 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Hmm. I've not gotten a 30% off coupon in a while.
Online order, use TRT30 discount code.

If purchase is over 100.00 use TRT41 for $40.00 off.

slowride
slowride Reader
1/7/15 9:49 a.m.

Our local one closed a few months ago.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/7/15 9:59 a.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

So far all Ive seen are just relabeling and/or reboxing of parts. No actual item changes. The best thing is that as they continue to integrate the two we can start getting parts through each other, effectively expanding the inventory for both. I can now get WorldPac parts through CQs warehouses (and CQ can now get stuff through AAP) where I couldn't get it at all before the merger. From my side of the counter that is a very good thing.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/7/15 10:36 a.m.

We have an Advanced Auto Parts here in Daytona that I go to regularly. Recently I purchased a starter relay for my old 82 Ford F150--- it worked once or twice, then broke--- I went back and they gave me a new one--- that one didn't work either. I then went to NAPA and they gave me a higher-quality part that didn't give me any problems.

The next time I went to Advanced, I told the manager that I liked their service, but some of their parts were obviously faulty. He said once the Car Quest purchase was over, he expected parts quality to improve. Not sure if I believe him......

I'll be going to NAPA for parts from now on---- I'll still buy packaged goods (oil, wipers, anti-freeze) from Advanced, or Auto Zone though, as their hours are better, and they are closer.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/7/15 10:40 a.m.

We used to use the local CarQuest machine shop for rotors and drums in the past. It disappeared years ago. I also used to enjoy the carQuest Technical Institute classes a couple years ago. That was mainly due to the instructor who was an absolute automotive genius. Wonder if they'll still offer the classes?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/15 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I think this was actually AAP's main goal in the merger, to increase their quality of parts (or at least their customers' beliefs about their quality of parts).

I believe there are about 3 'general' tiers of quality in parts. 1. OE, 2. NAPA/CarQuest, 3. Advance/O/Zone. I doubt I am alone. I also doubt that the marketing people at AAP are oblivious to my feelings along these lines.

If AAP can move from 3rd tier quality to 2nd tier quality and combine that with their huge number of stores and distribution channels, I think they would be well positioned to out gun NAPA, O'rielly and Auto Zone all in one fell swoop. Plus it would be good for all of us too. Better parts, cheaper prices, faster delivery.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/7/15 10:59 a.m.

I see NAPA parts runners all over town, at every pro garage. I don't see any from the 3rd-tier Joe Seatcover oriented places. Unless I'm out of business hours, I hit NAPA first.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/7/15 5:30 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: I haven't been in a CarQueers that was worth a crap since...ever. NAPA or OEM ordered off Amazon if I want good parts, otherwise whoever has Rotella T the cheapest gets my business.

Walmart has Rotella T the cheapest, no matter what auto parts store you go to...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/15 5:41 p.m.
06HHR wrote: One of my local Carquest stores has a machine shop, now i'm wondering if the machine shop will be around once the merger runs it's course.. Another Carquest here specializes in paint and auto body repair supplies. This concerns me greatly, we've already lost a lot of good parts stores in the area due to the big chains, Carquest and Napa are pretty much all that's left of the "old school" parts stores that arent advance o zone..

WRT paint and body supplies, I suspect there's a specialty store or two in your area. I can think of three in our little podunk town right off the top of my head.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/7/15 5:56 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: I believe there are about 3 'general' tiers of quality in parts. 1. OE, 2. NAPA/CarQuest, 3. Advance/O/Zone.

There may be a 4. Some of the parts Rockauto carries are a whole new level of E36 M3ty.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/15 9:21 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

True, but RockAuto kind of runs the gamut...they carry OEM Ford Motorcraft parts, for example, along with a decent selection of mid-tier and the aforementioned total crap. At least they give you a choice!

Brett_Murphy
1/7/15 9:41 p.m.

In reply to ScreaminE:

That is the one. I liked Worldpac and being close to a distribution center because they would have things like Mazda RX-8 starters. Try going to Advanced-Vato-Riley and having that in stock.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EudNCwdoEXTW5b6jbF1dMWW0nDJHI6TP2xk1rXqOax5hoZJgdeUUeH4H9dCZlUAY