1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/15/17 5:38 p.m.

Just a thought experiment going on here... open to anything "compact".

Newer (more available) is better. (Man do I wish the Aveo's were better cars)

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
7/15/17 5:46 p.m.

How compact? and how much of a beating?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/15/17 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Say no larger than a Jetta and can be driven with haste on dirt roads and hold together fairly well.

If I'm being picky, I want three point seatbelts for 5

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/15/17 6:16 p.m.

Are there any smaller cars with 3 point seatbelts for 5 people?

Not 2011 and up Focus. The new ones have trim and under trays that like to fall off. The older two generation are pretty tough though if that's not too old.

paul
paul HalfDork
7/15/17 6:16 p.m.

Someone's selling a civic SI (EP3) in the open classified section, they 'rally' very well...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/S7lYVhjbW4Q?ecver=1

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/15/17 6:24 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44:

I think Golfs and I know my Mazda P5 had 5 belts even though the back seat is not a great place for 5 people to spend any length of time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/17 6:26 p.m.

Corolla. They seem to thrive on abuse. What years? Doesn't matter, the name alone makes it so.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/15/17 7:22 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Corolla. They seem to thrive on abuse. What years? Doesn't matter, the name alone makes it so.

In my experience they will run for three days then throw the rods through the block stranding your 7 month pregnant wife on the side of the interstate in 100 degree heat.

jere
jere HalfDork
7/15/17 7:37 p.m.

Nissan spec v are in that neighborhood and tough trans

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/15/17 8:01 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Corolla. They seem to thrive on abuse. What years? Doesn't matter, the name alone makes it so.
In my experience they will run for three days then throw the rods through the block stranding your 7 month pregnant wife on the side of the interstate in 100 degree heat.

Was the guy you bought it from Spanish?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/17 8:19 p.m.

how old do you want to go? the E30 and E36/5 (318ti) are fairly robust but lack 3 point belts in all 5 spots

Nick (Bo) Comstock
7/15/17 8:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote:

Bought it from the inlaws who purchased it new.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
7/15/17 8:40 p.m.

early e30 - especially early 318i. Not terribly fast but the chassis is built strong and the drivetrain can take abuse all day long (M10 especially). M10 e30s are pretty much impossible to kill in stock form...]

3 point belts in the backseat would not be difficult to add if you wanted them.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/17 8:54 p.m.

Cavalier

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/15/17 8:59 p.m.

If the new-ish requirement weren't in there i'd say Chrysler K-car and Volvo 240 series all day. But, as a practical matter if I was looking for something that could take a pounding i'd probably actually look for whatever's going to keep me alive when i berkeley it up, and that points to much newer cars.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/15/17 9:07 p.m.

Something from a company that sells a lot of cars in the southern hemisphere, Corolla (and the GM badge job Prizm) is a good choice, I think they got a center rear should belt starting in 1998. Very predictable on dirt, up to the 2002 model year (IIRC 03+ has different suspension, twist beam rear rather than multi link) get one that came with factory front and rear swaybars or add them.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/15/17 9:26 p.m.

Mk3 Golf (93-99) or
Mk4 Golf (2.0L only) but you need to replace the aluminum oil pan and/or get a skidplate.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/16/17 9:35 a.m.
paul wrote: Someone's selling a civic SI (EP3) in the open classified section, they 'rally' very well... https://www.youtube.com/embed/S7lYVhjbW4Q?ecver=1

I second this. It's even in your price range. Meets all your requirements. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/2002-honda-civic-si-hatchback-mine-affiliated/130910/page1/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/16/17 10:24 a.m.
mndsm wrote:

I'm guessing the in-laws didnt beat the hell from it daily. That's the catch. The Corolla will come to resent you without regular beatings.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/16/17 11:35 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
mndsm wrote:
I'm guessing the in-laws didnt beat the hell from it daily. That's the catch. The Corolla will come to resent you without regular beatings.

I suspect it had more to do with not changing the oil often enough than a lack of beatings. Like many other fairly modern 4 cylinder engines they'll coke up the oil control rings if the oil is neglected, then it starts to burn enough oil to run out before the next oil change if nobody checks it. The A and ZZ engines both do it.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
7/16/17 12:04 p.m.
paul wrote: Someone's selling a civic SI (EP3) in the open classified section, they 'rally' very well... https://www.youtube.com/embed/S7lYVhjbW4Q?ecver=1

That seems like an epically stupid place to park.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
7/16/17 12:31 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
mndsm wrote:
I suspect it had more to do with not changing the oil often enough than a lack of beatings. Like many other fairly modern 4 cylinder engines they'll coke up the oil control rings if the oil is neglected, then it starts to burn enough oil to run out before the next oil change if nobody checks it. The A and ZZ engines both do it.

Nope. Serviced every 3,000 miles throughout it's life. They're old school like that. Had under 100k on it to. It was just an anomaly I think. The car was as clean as the day they purchased it. The MIL was a teacher and she drove it to school and back. Everywhere else they went they used the FIL's car. Just some weird freak thing.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/16/17 1:57 p.m.

The Toyota Echo has relatively soft suspension with stupid amounts of clearance and travel for such a small car. The 5 speeds have no problems with being bangshifted, and they use a timing chain and iridium plugs and are generally bulletproof engine-wise.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/17 3:17 p.m.

Cavalier, Cobalt, or a high-mileage Versa.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/16/17 9:31 p.m.

Second gen Neon?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V5fn22apIsnXBpI5ibiZwylltPnwK1mzz09StyXPn3AbaPhSM3VKcnXh0xxQMIx3