1 2 3 4
Dootz
Dootz New Reader
8/21/18 1:14 a.m.

Was thinking about going for a car I could modify easily since '74 and older don't have to pass smog, and to make a classic as my daily driver. Looking for something with decent aftermarket support as well

And can be found under $4k-$5k USD

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 1:16 a.m.

Porsche 911.

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
8/21/18 2:06 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Should have clarified:

Under $4k-$5k USD

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 5:27 a.m.

Saab 99

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/21/18 5:34 a.m.

Duster/dart/valiant 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/21/18 5:42 a.m.

How good does it have to be at your price point? There's a wide range of possibilities if you're willing to drive a rolling E36 M3 pile, but if you want something nice and reliable that list gets a lot shorter.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/21/18 6:12 a.m.

I will second the dart suggestion.  You can get a fairly decent one for that price especially if you get one with a slant 6.  I bought a nice 74 with a/c and a slant 6 a few years back for 5k.

The day after I bought it I drove it to Atlanta...

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/21/18 6:37 a.m.

Ford Capri was the first thought I had. Not easy to find though.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/21/18 6:45 a.m.
02Pilot said:

How good does it have to be at your price point? There's a wide range of possibilities if you're willing to drive a rolling E36 M3 pile, but if you want something nice and reliable that list gets a lot shorter.

That's what I thought, too.  

Finding any good pre '74 car is difficult, finding a pre-74 car that's less than $5k may require a HUGE restoration, or it's just not a good car.  All of the good driving cars that exist of that era are in high demand and fetch a good price.

Also- for that kind of money, finding any modern car that is light years more reliable is pretty easy.  Unless you plan on major work to address the failings of old cars- tech moved on for other reasons besides emissions rules.  Although they were some of the major pushers for the reliability improvements.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/18 7:06 a.m.

Three 70s era mercedes were tough and drive very well, surprisingly well even, for their age. 

Mercedes W114/W115 like this one coupe versions are more expensive but better looking. 

Mercedes R107 like this one the coupe version are usually cheaper than an equal condition convertible.

You can also get a running w108 for your budget but most sellers ask big at first. None of these really need an aftermarket because they're pretty much good in stock condition. And they can be real lookers as well. 

Can you really go wrong with an r107 coupe or roadster with Euro bumpers lowered on sweet wheels? 

Or a w114 given the same attention

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
8/21/18 7:34 a.m.

You sure 75 doesn't fit as well?  I know 75 TR7s are sought after because they don't have to deal with Cali emissions.  75s had no cats.  My choice would be a BMW 2002.  Values continue to climb so get one soon.  You won't loose money on one.  They are a blast to drive.  5 speed swaps, and limited slip rear ends are out there as are all kinds of engine mods. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 7:35 a.m.

we need more info. What type of car are you looking for. Big American V8 bruiser, corner carver for the mountains, something for cruising the beach.. we need more info.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
8/21/18 7:40 a.m.

3rd vote for the A body Chrysler. Built like tanks, but light enough they don't need a ton of power to be fun. Solid aftermarket support as well. Plus, they aren't ultra desirable yet and decent ones can be had for fairly cheap.

I had a '72 with the leaning power of power and an auto, and the first car I ever drove (and did a burnout in) was a '67 with a small block.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/21/18 7:49 a.m.

Another vote for a Benz.  They may not be cheap to maintain, but they're durable.  Pre-74 and under 5 G is going to be a tall order though.  Most of what you find that fit those criteria will be in need of a total restoration. 

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
8/21/18 7:55 a.m.

I think where you're located and how far you're willing to travel might play a big role here.   Just assuming here that you trying to avoid anything with cat converters, but keep in mind that smog equipment was already present well into the early 70's in domestic cars.  

I can't find anything around NJ under 5K pre-74 that isn't rusty or a pile of parts for the most part.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/21/18 8:06 a.m.

I presume the '74 rule is California.  With that said, if you want to buy something for $4k, you will likely have to buy it outside your state (and not just in a neighboring state) because "car guys" in CA are all looking for the same.  

I wonder how much more valuable a '74 Camaro is in CA compared to a '76 Camaro just given this smog issue? 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/18 8:33 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

They may not be cheap to maintain, but they're durable.  Pre-74 and under 5 G is going to be a tall order though.  Most of what you find that fit those criteria will be in need of a total restoration. 

In regards to being expensive to maintain, not true. I bought a $600 79 450SEL and replaced the battery and did a tune up, tires, and fluids. Drove like a dream. Bought a different 79 that was even more reliable. They are actually super easy and simple to work on and reliable. And parts are everywhere especially in California and in junk yards. You can buy parts for them online easily and the knowledge base is massive. Plus the community share knowledge and parts with strangers like its nothing. Classic Benz ownership isnt very stressful unless you're trying to restore something to showroom or you have something very rare like a 6.3 or 6.9 or an obscure limo. The cars I recommended are pretty common cars and very simple. Mercedes made the R107 platform for a kajillion years. Only thing that is more common are W123's and W126's but those are beyond the age range he's looking for. In that price range if you're fine with not having a super clean restored car, a drivers car can def be had for 4-5k 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/18 8:39 a.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/21/18 8:46 a.m.

Some choices that come to mind that can still be found in your budget as a driver (at least on Atlanta Craigslist) that come to mind are:

• Chrysler A-bodies, as already mentioned.
  • Their rivals from Ford that weren't a Mustang - the Falcon, Maverick, and Comet.
  • Air-cooled VWs.
  • Pretty much anything Volvo.
Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
8/21/18 8:58 a.m.

You would have to travel outside California to find them in your price range but a square taillight BMW 2002 or 4 door Datsun 510 could slip into your budget.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/21/18 9:09 a.m.

Corvairs can be found pretty reasonably priced.  They drive pretty decent for older cars.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 9:11 a.m.

I would also add anything Fiat to that list.

11110000 Reader
8/21/18 9:16 a.m.

Volvo 142.  Can be run from mild to wild, with EFI or carbs.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/21/18 9:37 a.m.
mad_machine said:

I would also add anything Fiat to that list.

Surely, there can't be any pre-74 Fiats that haven't been reduced to a pile of rust?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/21/18 9:40 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

Corvairs can be found pretty reasonably priced.  They drive pretty decent for older cars.

And then slip a modern Corvette underneath! 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9CRwWhZ3k2VrPBe4egVjzM0I940YC9mx76RApeGSbSUOwaGdC4WUAWxvm4eQEhrO