Duckzero
Duckzero GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/1/24 12:15 a.m.

As a sneakerhead, I've been noticing a lot of different shoes on track days. All kinds of brands and styles.

Obviously, some are definitely just for driving, but I'm curious to know what your go-to track day shoes are that you could just wear anywhere before or after.

Here's my current favorite pair: Puma Astros

Pros: They fit well, don't look too dirty too quickly, are surprisingly resilient to the rain, comfortable! 

Cons: When it's really wet, definitely wipe your shoes before going on a drive. They can be a little slippery at first. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 12:29 a.m.

In reply to Duckzero :

Another potential con that jumps out at me is that the skate-shoe-style sole could be exactly what you don't want for cramped pedal areas and heel-and-toe flexibility.

Right now I have Sparco Race 2s which have a traditional driving shoe sole, are SFI-rated and look pretty "normal" especially if pants are hiding the tops. Also the price is decent for what they are. The only notable downsides are the traditional driving shoe problem of being highly susceptible to puddles, and the likely SFI-rating-related issue of retaining a lot of heat.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 12:50 a.m.

Here are some I had previously which I also considered to be decent all-rounders, Puma Speed Cat SD. Shape is about as "normal" as a shoe with a traditional driving sole can be, colors/patterns are definitely a bit weird though so they probably say "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT MY GOOFY-ASS DRIVING SHOES" more than the Race 2s if pants are hiding the tops. Very ordinary price, very comfortable to walk around in with the low tops and don't retain heat like the Race 2s. Decently puddle-proof by traditional driving shoe standards, performed admirably at this over many years of duty in the Caribbean. No SFI rating though.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/24 6:56 a.m.

I would like a pair of SFI shoes, but have really wide feet. Anyone have any ideas?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
2/1/24 7:03 a.m.

I had a pair of speedcats for the longest time autocrossing and found that they weren't really supportive enough for running around an autocross site. Heck, they weren't really comfortable for a day going to classes in college. So I found myself changing into them when it was time to drive then changing back to regular sneakers. 

The speedcats finally broke down after almost 10 years of use.

I now have a car that requires driving shoes and that I am looking at racing where I need the sfi rating. Legit driving shoes are actually cheaper than these halfway solutions. 

Just get a pair of cheaper driving shoes and change for your session.

Here's what I got. 

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Zamp-ZR-30-SFI-3-3-5-Race-Shoe-Black-Blue-Or-Red,436154.html

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/1/24 7:35 a.m.

Berck
Berck Reader
2/1/24 9:30 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I would like a pair of SFI shoes, but have really wide feet. Anyone have any ideas?

OMP ONE-S is pretty much the only driving shoe available in wide sizes.  Love mine.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer New Reader
2/1/24 9:41 a.m.

I have a set of speedcats that look like they could be worn around normal. The issue is that real driving shoes have super thin soles. You will wear them out super quick if you wear them to just walk around all the time. Speedcats aren't that expensive, but I wouldn't wear my SFI boots around.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 9:45 a.m.

I usually wear sneakers, but I'm far from a competitive driver.  I don't think it's my Sketchers holding me back from class-winning glory.  I also have wide feet, so a sneaker like the first picture (the Puma) tends to have less material, meaning their treadwidth is minimal for the space needed inside.  That helps my space-consuming feet when I'm navigating three pedals in a Civic or a Miata.

Since my feet are consistently whining about carrying around my 235lbs all day, I focus more on tarmac comfort than driving perfection.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/24 10:52 a.m.

I bought a pair of Xero shoes a couple years ago. They have a thin 5mm sole, are super comfortable, lightweight and fit my super chonky 11/4E feet really well. Now I can't drive in anything else.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
2/1/24 4:36 p.m.

I found the Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81s awesome. The sole under your forefoot is quite thin and tactile. Rounded heel and fairly narrow, but the material the upper is made from is stretchy, so your foot can spread.

These are Asics wrestling shoes, super light and flexy. Very similar to a race boot, but lighter and breathable. 

I find most indoor soccer shoes also work well. Narrow, rounded soles so you don't catch the edges of pedals, thin grippy sole. The edge of the sole is why I'm not crazy about Chuck Ts/Converse in my car. Light and thin soles for feel, but I sometimes catch the vulananised seam on my pedals, which are fairly pointy alloy pieces.

Duckzero
Duckzero GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/2/24 12:48 a.m.

These are all pretty great suggestions for me and anyone else following. I had a pair of Adidas Busenitz Vulc II's that got better after the break in period to drive with. 

The worst shoes were the ones I wore for my wedding. It was super hard to get any feedback. I almost got in trouble because I showed up in the Adidas (mentioned above). lol.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/24 2:00 a.m.

I've always been big on the Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 as a casual shoe that's also great for driving.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/2/24 6:41 a.m.

OluKai...these in particular.  Thin soles for better pedal feel.  Slip-on.  Breathable.

https://olukai.com/products/nohea-moku-mens-sneakers-black

Ross Bentley wears these, too.  We both noticed each others' shoes at a driving event.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
2/2/24 10:26 a.m.

Onitsuke Tiger Ultimate 81s are my choice. My favorite shoe I've ever owned, not just favorite driving shoe.

Close second are Puma Speedcats.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/2/24 10:49 a.m.

Slip on Vans for me.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/24 11:07 a.m.

I have an old pair of Puma driving-style shoes. They were fairly cheap and work well.  Not the best for standing around or walking, so when I was doing autocross I would change into sneakers better suited for chasing cones. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/24 1:28 p.m.

I was switching into boat "deck" shoes for driving, but the sole is really too thin for anything else. I've been running the New Balance 574's, since it was one of the only walking shoes I could find without a humongous cloud of padding on the heel. I also like that the N goes with my Elantra N. But apparently it's trending to run a retro shoe... Probably goes pretty well with a pair of JNCO's

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sKDt09cdXPrF8eAiRhNsmYkiJoYayNAqQTYVKX8RWKHQVL0DSPFIT2CD2dqG3XoQ