novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
7/23/16 1:13 a.m.

when all else fails, ask the guys at GRM:

i am putting a different nose on my Camaro and i discovered that 3 of the 4 studs that hold the nose to the front fenders are gone.. i don't know what they are called, but they are commonly used to hold stuff like spoilers onto the trunk. they have a regular 6mm thread that you put a nut on, and the side that goes into the fiberglass component (spoiler, whatever) is a weird dual thread.. i have tried searching teh googles using several different variations of "6mm stud" and have come up with nothing, but i know someone makes them because they are still in use in production vehicles..

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/16 4:40 a.m.

I don't know the specific name but if you are looking for them try your local Napa. Either in the "help" rack or in my local store they have box's of odd ball fasteners like that. The other place that will probably have them is the local hardware store not the big box store.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
7/23/16 6:46 a.m.

Threaded inserts, Wood Nuts, EZ locks. All will find what you need.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/23/16 8:47 a.m.

Tim?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/16 9:33 a.m.

I forget what they are called but I compulsively scavenge them whenever I see them. I still haven't found a use for them but I have a bazillion of them in boxes, in random drawers of toolboxes, etc.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/23/16 9:41 a.m.

Hanger bolts?

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
7/23/16 9:50 a.m.

Most I have seen for automotive purpose have a serated washer on the plastic side to keep it from unscrewing from the plastic. And the washer provides something for the nut to tighten against without pulling the threads out of the plastic.

I have not seen these sold retail, unless GM sells them, you may need to get these off a donor car.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/16 12:01 p.m.

Blind nuts?

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
7/23/16 1:17 p.m.

As a former stud I was called many names. ...

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
7/23/16 2:04 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: Most I have seen for automotive purpose have a serated washer on the plastic side to keep it from unscrewing from the plastic. And the washer provides something for the nut to tighten against without pulling the threads out of the plastic. I have not seen these sold retail, unless GM sells them, you may need to get these off a donor car.

someone has to make them, aftermarket parts use them and they have to be getting them from somewhere..

i found some that i can use in the stock spoiler that i took off my Neon, double nutted them and they came right out... but i still want to know what they are called just because i like to know things and it might come in handy one time 20 years from now..

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
7/23/16 3:28 p.m.
scottdownsouth wrote: As a former stud I was called many names. ...

And then you woke up!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/16 5:32 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

I've seen those exact studs at my local Ace Hardware. They do exist.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VxQBzKbI1k2oe12pAZWhuoG4Lj85G4E3wfemU15MQCN1p1OpaDb9N9dZzGRLU6Hm