1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 2:38 p.m.

Just for giggles, I checked CL for Biturbo. I mean, I've always kinda dug their exterior styling. Anyhow, this popped up. A perfect Biturbo that's running perfectly - except that the engine happens to be completely disassembled due to a leaky seal. Seems legit.

Asking price is $2k. I'm thinking FMV would be "I won't charge you to tow it away" Are there any special bonuses for bringing one of these to the Challenge?

Seller said: I have a 1984 Maserati Biturbo. This Biturbo is in near perfect condition and has been stored in a climate controlled storage for 15 years. It is entirely original, including paint and interior. The engine was disassembled a few years ago because it leaked oil from a faulty seal. At the time it ran perfectly it was disassembled for no other reason then the aforementioned oil seal. I figured while the engine was apart I would check all components for wear, as well as replace timing belt and all of the old Maserati gaskets and seals. Unfortunately I simply do not have the time necessary to complete this wonderful project. When the engine was taken apart every component was individually wrapped and placed into its respective box. All parts were meticulously cared for when being disassembled. The engine shows no sign of wear or damage, cylinders are in exceptional shape. Not a surprise because it ran superb and was a daily driver when disassembled. Everything functioned perfectly at the time the car was placed in storage. It would not take much to get it back into prime condition just a gasket set, timing belt and labor. The exterior of the car has a few dents and some small scratches The dent in the rear was caused by the previous owner backing into a trailer hitch. The interior is immaculate and entirely original. The leather is still very supple and the car has been kept out of the sun so there is no sun damage or cracking. There is not a speck of rust to be found anywhere on the car. I have a very comprehensive repair manual that goes along with the car to assist the new owner in reassembling the engine. Also a booklet of little known information, sales records and improvements that can be made to the car. As well as the original owners and service manual. The car has original tool kit which is complete. Also this car has a very rare MIE body kit, supposedly it is 1 of 50.
Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/19/15 2:46 p.m.

RUN...

Edit...on second thought...LSX swap?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/15 2:50 p.m.

See those moist spots under the edges of the car? Normally I would accuse the seller of washing the car before taking pics to make it look nicer than it is, but given that this is a Biturbo, I'm guessing it has simply reached the point where the car even leaks oil from the body seams.

El Cheapo
El Cheapo HalfDork
12/19/15 3:01 p.m.

The car comes with an original tool kit, so you should be fine. Do it!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/19/15 3:06 p.m.

I think Biturbo should be highly encouraged for Challenge.
This is an idea I have had...
Regardless of purchase price, the Fair Market Value of a non running Biturbo should be set at $0.

Sure, this may give and unfair advantage to Biturbo but how great would it be to have a whole sub-class of all Biturbos!
This would leave pricing room to make some drivetrain combos:
Biturbo and a Mustang.
Biturbo and a e30.
Biturbo and a pickup truck. Etc.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 4:18 p.m.

Years ago someone posted that they thought it would be fun to get together with friends and everyone each spends a max of $1000 on a Biturbo and they hold as contest to see how far away they can drive before breaking down.

The next response was "That doesn't sound very fun"

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/19/15 4:26 p.m.
El Cheapo wrote: The car comes with an original tool kit, so you should be fine. Do it!

Maybe if this were the factory tool kit:

I'd see if I could get the pickup in the background as well, more reliable and can be used to drag the BiTurbo home when it dies again.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
12/19/15 4:39 p.m.

A Bi-turbo sub class... I like the way that sounds.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/19/15 5:01 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: See those moist spots under the edges of the car? Normally I would accuse the seller of washing the car before taking pics to make it look nicer than it is, but given that this is a Biturbo, I'm guessing it has simply reached the point where the car even leaks oil from the body seams.

lol....that was the very first thought that popped into my head when I saw the pic too...

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
12/19/15 5:23 p.m.

Theres only one way to find out if its a bad idea.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 6:17 p.m.
Raze wrote: RUN... Edit...on second thought...LSX swap?

I think VQ swap would be better

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
12/19/15 6:26 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I think lsx as well but, you can't falsely advertise so it must be a twin turbo ls. Explain to your wife it needs to be done for reliability, she might agree.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 6:35 p.m.

I'm kind of bummed that you're not getting a BiTurbo...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/15 9:25 p.m.

I was thinking of building a dark horse entry challenge biturbo for 2016. This is relevant to my interests!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/19/15 9:28 p.m.

Keith is extremely well versed in lsx swaps. Ive seen his work in person. I need to see an ls biturbo.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
12/19/15 9:45 p.m.

Aren't regular service items zero cost to the budget.........Biturbo.......engine......service item......

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/19/15 10:10 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Aren't regular service items zero cost to the budget.........Biturbo.......engine......service item......

Normally id call that rule abuse. But....biturbo.

brad131a4
brad131a4 New Reader
12/19/15 10:53 p.m.

Good thing that is far away from me. I'd have thing back on the road and beating the piss out of it in short order. Being MIE is about in my backyard I'd have plenty of help getting parts that I'd need.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/15 1:01 a.m.

Swap a 13b REW into it, so it can be a Mazda-rati biturbo. :)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/20/15 7:31 a.m.

I've suggested in a previous Bi-Turbo thread that there should be a bounty for any Bi-Turbo to enter and compete the challeng.

My only stipulation is that if it has an engine swap, it must have twin turbos.

I like the idea of FMV of any Bi-Turbo being $0. I like the idea of Mazda-rati Bi-Turbo even more

Do it Kieth!!!!!!!!!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/20/15 7:40 a.m.

If you have the time and space, I say go for it and return it back to stock, running condition. I mean... How hard could it be? Enjoy/sort for a few months and sell for profit?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/20/15 9:45 a.m.
codrus wrote: Swap a 13b REW into it, so it can be a Mazda-rati biturbo. :)

This actually makes a lot of sense...In my head.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
12/20/15 10:49 a.m.

During the rebuild you can correct the top end oiling issue that has ruined the cams.

That stalled the replacement of the seal.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
12/21/15 11:32 a.m.

I have one of those, what could go wrong.... Lots of things, not just because it is a Maserati, but they are getting older, so every electrical connection and every relay is now questionable.

One interesting thing about the engine, valve adjustments, the shim is under the lifter, so a minor valve adjust is a major job. Check lash, remove timing belt, remove cam box, measure the current shims, order new shims, reassemble all of it, re-check lash. Note if shims or lifters get dropped while removing or installing the cam box, there could be some mystery to the process. To make it more fun, you need a special tool, to ensure each pair of intake valves are equal height, since they use one lifter. 3 valves 2 lifters...

Being Italian, it will leak oil, maybe not as much as a British car but it will leak.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
12/21/15 11:57 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP wrote: I have one of those, what could go wrong.... Lots of things, not just because it is a Maserati, but they are getting older, so every electrical connection and every relay is now questionable.

To be fair, every electrical connection and relay was questionable when it was new.

I am not sure a Bi-Turbo being all original is a selling point..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jBJFxXr6gkEGHpQxztHvfJSjVUzXiK0Y7eZYctU9Gcnau9HhBfLLGn5ifELJSXy