1 2 3
ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
12/21/15 12:07 p.m.

If you do end up re-engineering half the car to make it do things like have a less crazy valve design, Flyin BiTurbo doesn't have the same ring to it.

Maybe Fasterati?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/21/15 12:11 p.m.

those stupid italian cam pucks....

t25torx
t25torx Dork
12/21/15 12:44 p.m.

Hot damn I want that car. Thankfully it is about on the complete opposite end of the US from me.

But yes you should buy this.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/15 12:49 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: If you do end up re-engineering half the car to make it do things like have a less crazy valve design, Flyin BiTurbo doesn't have the same ring to it. Maybe Fasterati?

No.

Any company that fixes Maseratis needs to be called OneEightyFive.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/21/15 1:31 p.m.
Woody wrote:
ssswitch wrote: If you do end up re-engineering half the car to make it do things like have a less crazy valve design, Flyin BiTurbo doesn't have the same ring to it. Maybe Fasterati?
No. Any company that fixes Maseratis needs to be called *OneEightyFive*.

You win one internet.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
12/21/15 1:32 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
TED_fiestaHP wrote: I have one of those, what could go wrong.... Lots of things, not just because it is a Maserati, but they are getting older, so every electrical connection and every relay is now questionable.
To be fair, every electrical connection and relay was questionable when it was new. I am not sure a Bi-Turbo being all original is a selling point..

True they were not perfect when new, and the last 30 years didn't help. They typically are very low mileage, well just how many miles can you put on a Masserati? There could be a reason why they are low mileage....

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
12/21/15 1:40 p.m.

The only time mine quit running, I made a left turn, the turn signal fuse failed and the ignition shut off. Seems that fuse is one of the many things the ignition system needs. There are some fail safe controls to shut off the ignition if there is over boost or knock, uses a few relays and other stuff. So there are many ways the ignition can quit.

I would say the early cars with the carb are simpler, but not to sure about that. The injection system might be similar to many others, don't know.

Most parts are available, and when working they can be a fun car.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
12/21/15 1:48 p.m.

http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri00a.htm

What could go wrong.....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/21/15 1:49 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Woody wrote:
No. Any company that fixes Maseratis needs to be called *OneEightyFive*.
You win one internet.

I had considered for a Challenge car, register as number 185 and then also have a bumper sticker that says, "my other car is a limo"

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/21/15 1:58 p.m.

Buy it. Swap in a Corsica or Taurus drive line. Never tell anyone or open the hood in public. Just drive it around and troll every car guy that sees you. When people approach and ask how you keep it running be all like "I don't know, I'm not really a car guy. I just drive it. Its been pretty good, I've has it like 15 years now, no real issues."

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/21/15 2:04 p.m.

Hey, wait a minute! Wasn't there just an SHO parts car listed in the $20XX classifieds? I wonder how the Yamaha engine would play with a pair of magic snails?

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/21/15 2:39 p.m.

I'll just leave this here

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/15 6:42 p.m.
TED_fiestaHP wrote: To make it more fun, you need a special tool, to ensure each pair of intake valves are equal height, since they use one lifter. 3 valves 2 lifters...

Swapping in a 13b REW would certainly make the valve adjustment process easier!

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
12/21/15 7:38 p.m.

I have a Maserati biturbo valve cover, it's really reliable. Probably the most reliable part on the car.

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/21/15 7:59 p.m.

I notice that Keith hasn't posted since starting this...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/15 8:22 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I notice that Keith hasn't posted since starting this...

Wait, were we trying to convince him to not buy it, or encouraging him? It's so hard to tell around here.

I need to know if we were successful or if it's too late, and also what "successful" and "too late" mean in this instance.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
12/21/15 9:26 p.m.

So it sounds like a bi-turbo is great as long you are willing to replace the engine and electrical system with something else.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/15 9:28 p.m.

I mostly posted it due to the entertainment value of the ad, I wasn't really planning on buying it. But you guys were having so much fun. Besides, I think the standing FMV of $0 and requiring all BiTurbos to have two turbos is an excellent proposal.

This car's gone - but there are three Chrysler TCs for sale in Denver right now on CL. Eww.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
12/21/15 9:31 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: Buy it. Swap in a Corsica or Taurus drive line. Never tell anyone or open the hood in public. Just drive it around and troll every car guy that sees you. When people approach and ask how you keep it running be all like "I don't know, I'm not really a car guy. I just drive it. Its been pretty good, I've has it like 15 years now, no real issues."

Ahahaha this is an excellent idea!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/15 9:31 p.m.
Type Q wrote: So it sounds like a bi-turbo is great as long you are willing to replace the engine and electrical system with something else.

Problem is, everything I have heard suggests that even the chassis sucks...

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/15 10:13 p.m.

Did you buy it yet?

What's funny, is that you posted it on my birthday.

I have a set wheels for it - OZ Vegas - 14x7 - they are perfect on it.

The engine is really great - the only two problems with it are timing belts and those god damned valves. Seriously, the 2 intake valves run on the sides of one bucket - making shimming them a berkeleying nightmare.

The engine sounds great and pulls harder than you'd think (well - my wastegates didn't gate, so it was super fun)

The transmission is perfectly OK.

They are nose heavy, moving battery to the trunk will help - but with the fuel tank back there and the spare under the trunk, there isn't much trunk space to begin with.

Buy it. You'll love it until it hates you.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/15 10:15 p.m.

Damnit. I just saw it was gone and you only posted to get a rise out of us.

Sadness.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/21/15 10:31 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
gearheadmb wrote: Buy it. Swap in a Corsica or Taurus drive line. Never tell anyone or open the hood in public. Just drive it around and troll every car guy that sees you. When people approach and ask how you keep it running be all like "I don't know, I'm not really a car guy. I just drive it. Its been pretty good, I've has it like 15 years now, no real issues."
Ahahaha this is an excellent idea!

Along these lines, I dream of borrowing a Delorean for an extended period of time, and with every BTTF reference thrown my way, pretend to have never seen or heard of the movie.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/21/15 10:31 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Seriously, the 2 intake valves run on the sides of one bucket - making shimming them a berkeleying nightmare.

I just screamed in horror reading that, just wanted to get that out.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/15 12:21 a.m.

Disappointed at lack of Keith's bi turbo build thread...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szp7ihIHxYVAd6kRPS3CJjnZL5b53HKZ45agT9LwPXKV3o7O0TZVuDZgyABaGSoZ