1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/24 8:48 p.m.

A bit of a continuation of this discussion thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/newer-civic-si-or-gasp-type-r-instead-of-an-efegcrx/261725/page1/

TL;DR - what do I need to know so I don't end up buying a check engine light that comes with a VW attached?

What I've figured out so far:

• I likely want a Performance Pack equipped one, because better brakes and non-microdosed LSD
  • I probably want to check for (potentially reversed) modifications because these cars are very tunable and if Humble Mechanic and DAP are to be believed on the tubes of You, not everybody modifies these with the appropriate Germanic Thoroughness
  • Apple Carplay wasn't available for at least the first year of the run?

Just a quick poke around Faceplace Marketbook suggest that enthusiasts like to turn up The Boostz. Several cars are advertised at 300bhp+ - how durable are they at that point, and how wide a berth do I want to give such a car? My usual take is that I probably want a stock car, even if I want to modify it juuuuuuuuuuust a little, because that way I don't have to unberkeleyup what one of the previous owners did.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/30/24 8:54 p.m.

Might I introduce you to our 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI project car? 

BoxheadTim
1/30/24 8:59 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ah well, paying attention isn't always my strong suit . Thank you.

David S. Wallens
1/30/24 9:00 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

You’re very welcome. And feel free to ask away with any questions. :) 

I’m now fostering the car. The more I drive it, the more I like it. (Undoing the “skid pad” One Lap alignment setting did wonders for our relationship.)

BoxheadTim
1/30/24 9:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Wait, did I spot TE37s on the car in some pictures or was that wishful drinking?

David S. Wallens
1/30/24 9:38 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Titan 7 T-D6E wheels. 

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
1/30/24 10:49 p.m.

There are a few guys besides the magazine that have mk7's.

I have a 2017 GTI S, so it's a base model which I bought 2 years ago because it was in my budget, had low miles(had 39,xxx, now at 52,xxx) and no sun roof, cloth plaid seats and manual.

it's strictly a street driven daily and I don't regret not getting a performance pack. With good tires and basic bolt ons it doesn't have torque steer and wheel spin isn't bad.

it's easy to work on as I did the clutch(did a ECS stage 2 with single mass fly wheel) and basic maintenance all with jack stands.

Forums say the clutch is weak but some guys report no issues with aggressive tunes and bolt ons. Water pump is another issue but Humble Mechanic just did a video and it seems like a easy job. Mines good but still low miles so.

Fuel mileage isnt great, i avg 24mpg(my wife's 2012 civic si avgs like 30mpg) but i have a mixed commute and heavy foot. 

I had a mk6 which had every issue the internet tells about but the mk7 really seems to be a solid choice for a cheap hot hatch.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/31/24 10:07 a.m.

Clutch is interesting on these.  My stock clutch held a good power increase on my R, but I sold the car before I got into higher mileage.  At least on the R, upgraded clutches can apparently cause the thrust bearings to pop out, which lunches the motor.  On the GTI I think you can upgrade to the OEM TTRS clutch, and that one holds more power but still is safe to run. 

Overall I liked the car a lot, but there's NO steering feel at all.  Which I guess is normal for most modern EPS cars...

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/24 11:05 a.m.

I've got an Alltrack, not a GTI, but a lot of the same MK7 stuff applies. Overall, I love my car. It's been IS38 swapped (Golf R turbo/full bolt ons) and tuned for 3.5 years now with no major issues that I can think of. I average 27mpg in a mixed commute 100 miles per day, 5 days a week. 

The only real issue with these cars is the water pump. In typical VW fashion, they eventually leak, make a mess, and need replaced. It's a bit of a PITA, but doable. GRM did a writeup, and ShopDAP, HumbleMechanic, and FCP Euro all have DIY videos I believe. Pano sunroofs are known for leaking as well (although thankfully I haven't had to deal with this on mine), so I'd avoid them if possible.

In my experience, an upgraded rear swaybar really woke up the handling for a relatively small amount of money and effort. Extra caster in the front helped that even more, but that might be a little further than you're wanting to go.

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
1/31/24 2:07 p.m.

Waterpump will likely be leaking. It's a weak point on MQB. 

If you want a junior Golf R get a Audi A3 Quattro. It's got the GTI PP engine, along with the Golf R powertrain + longer gearing. Pretty much 99% of A3 Quattro's are used as grocery getters versus a used GTI. DSG only though. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/31/24 6:41 p.m.

I've talked about my 2015 GTI. I love the thing. Unmodified, plenty of giddy up, and plenty more on the table if you choose. I did have to change the plastic water pump which turned into a pain in the ass, but much of the PITA was on me. 

Id buy another one in a second- actually seriously cross shopping another GTi with the new M2. (Which I have not driven).

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/31/24 9:58 p.m.
NorthernCTR said:

If you want a junior Golf R get a Audi A3 Quattro. It's got the GTI PP engine, along with the Golf R powertrain + longer gearing. Pretty much 99% of A3 Quattro's are used as grocery getters versus a used GTI. DSG only though. 

What years are best?

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
2/1/24 12:19 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
NorthernCTR said:

What years are best?

For the A3, 2017 is the year that got Carplay, and an updated DSG. Plus some styling updates. Make sure steering wheel has the paddles if you want to tune the car and have fun in manual mode. 2017+ have a much nicer steering wheel too. 

For the MK7 you want the Performance Pack(PP) because this one has a limited slip differential. You can tell the PP cars from a red GTI badge on the trunk and front brakes that say GTI on them. 2015 is the only year without CarPlay. 

MK7.5 I am not so well versed on. I believe the type of LSD changed and was standard on some years. Updated DSG as well. There's also a volume knob that can be turned upside down and looks unnatural, it bothers some people.

BONUS: DTR6054 turbo upgrade should get you 400 WHP with a stock intake and exhaust. $1500 including tune. Will heat soak instantly without a intercooler Reliability to be determined....

BONUS 2: Audi TTS 4 piston calipers bolt onto the MK7/A3. The TTS uses the same master cylinder so brake bias doesn't get all wonky too. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
2/1/24 1:13 p.m.

In reply to NorthernCTR :

The LSD and performance pack brakes were standard on the SE and Autobahn starting in 2018.  The Autobahn also got adaptive dampers.

BoxheadTim
2/1/24 1:55 p.m.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I looked at A3s of this vintage after the recommendations, but I really want a hatchback for practicality reasons.

Of course at some point I also noticed the Golf R thread, and I couldn't help but notice that while Golf Rs are more expensive, one at the lower end of price range at Carmax would still within budget. Is it a worthwhile upgrade for the intended use case or not?

And oddly enough, I watched Humble Mechanic's video on the water pump a few days ago. Seems to be a bit of a pain in the proverbial, but probably not quite as bad as one that's mounted right next to the chassis leg on a transverse engine.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/1/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Turbine :

Also have a '17 alltrack and like it a bunch,stock except for a neuspeed piggyback tuner.

Its been solid except for the waterpump and brakes despite religous brake service at least once ever yr but usually spring and fall.

New oem rotors and pads all around when we bought it used and I've had to do them twice in less then 70,000 km....and we're not city dwellers.

BoxheadTim
2/1/24 2:46 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Interesting - is this mostly wear, or potentially also climate related?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/1/24 2:49 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I looked at A3s of this vintage after the recommendations, but I really want a hatchback for practicality reasons.

Of course at some point I also noticed the Golf R thread, and I couldn't help but notice that while Golf Rs are more expensive, one at the lower end of price range at Carmax would still within budget. Is it a worthwhile upgrade for the intended use case or not?

And oddly enough, I watched Humble Mechanic's video on the water pump a few days ago. Seems to be a bit of a pain in the proverbial, but probably not quite as bad as one that's mounted right next to the chassis leg on a transverse engine.

Yeah- it is a project, but also lets you in to clean the intake valves which allegedly coke up around 60k. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/24 3:14 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Interesting. can't say I've had that same issue with mine, although I upgraded to the GTI PP front calipers just for the hell of it. Could it be a stability control related thing? Like how some cars simulate an LSD using the ABS?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/1/24 3:25 p.m.

Yeah dunno,my fleet has always been Japanese stuff except for the VW,an 850 volvo and an E30.

The volvo was the same,but it was old and I was fighting a loosing battle to keep the calipers free it would sit for awhile at times

The E30 was hardly ever driven and mostly a project so brakes were never an issue(it was everything else that was the issue)

With my dedication to keeping the calipers lubed and free nothing else I've owned has given me brake issues.

Certainly odd,I kinda chalk part of it up to what ever alloys the Germans use in their rotors as they sure seem to surface rust quicker if left sitting a couple days then anything else I drive

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/24 10:13 p.m.

Do the MQB motors have a similar timing chain issue to earlier models where they need replacement at 120k? Sorta defeats the purpose of a chain at that point. Is there a specific Gen that has better or worse timing chain durability?

BoxheadTim
2/9/24 4:59 p.m.

Haven't read anything re timing chains on these.

Forgot to ask - how are these holding up corrosion-wise?

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/9/24 9:21 p.m.

Jumping in here as I just picked up a mk7 2 weeks ago. First newish car (previous was a 2005) and I typically drive grm style stuff.

Absolutely love the car so far. It's been modified with quality parts and currently at the "stage 2" level. Super tight chassis compared to what I'm used to, brakes are phenomenal and the dsg is fantastic. 

From a value standpoint it was a better option than most comparable vehicles at the price I paid. 

I do expect to do the water pump within the next year.

BoxheadTim
2/14/24 4:56 a.m.

Hmm. I'm in Europe at the moment and am driving another Golf sized VAG product. When people say the steering on the GTi is numb/not very communicative, is it "driving with novocaine hands wrapped in cotton balls" numb like this one is?

Oh, and I just watched Humble Mechanic change a timing chain on a Mk7 with 100k miles so I'm guessing VW still borrowed timing chain engineering from 19070s Honda motorcycles.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/24 6:45 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I thought it was for the entire line. The Golf R I had just never spoke to me at all for a sporty ride. I felt the steering was way too numb for a tuned car. 

Great for a DD so I have a Golf Sportswagen 4Motion that I love for a daily. Even with a few golf R estate add-ons it still feels really numb.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hhnG5s42yZ5DqM89hY8I4VoGOVVYRrD018BFMJUHvhCepU8YtrqIE9zIbgfVa40H