1 2 3
EvanR
EvanR Dork
1/14/15 12:10 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: The Scion TC and FRS should both qualify, too.

tC is a liftback. The Toyobaru twins have a trunk.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/15 3:09 p.m.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/15 3:10 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

I did acknowledge the GM F-bodies in my original post, but they are long out of production.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/15 3:14 p.m.

sorry, i'm not into details today.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/15 3:37 p.m.

Need to replace the lift struts-- they're starting to get a little tired after nearly 8 years.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
1/14/15 3:51 p.m.

OHHHHHHHH New.... got ya....

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/14/15 3:56 p.m.

I'll betcha that the lift back went the way of the Ricers, just grew out of them. PLUS none of them really had that much coveted "low lift over."

These days, isn't everyone rolling SUVs anyway? And aren't the backs always empty for the most part . . . not gonna mention the Soccer Generation since this IS GRM after all.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/15 5:36 p.m.

Previous 1979 Celica GT Hatch-Back and a 1987 RX-7 owner here.

After setting multiple world land speed records with my cars in the prestigious Home Depot to Home with a Christmas tree competition, I’m a huge fan of this configuration and I can’t imagine why they’re not wildly popular.

I’ve literally had to borrow my wife’s Exploder to pick up four pack’s of pool chemicals since I got my RX-8 as its truck opening is too small even for that.

The 2.0T Golf GTI has so much win that I’d be willing to overlook its wrong-wheel-drive configuration but as soon as I start really warming up to the idea, I get hit with yet another VW reliability horror story.

For example, I’m driving a borrowed Jetta this week and its owner is donating it to charity as soon as I’m done with it as it’s up for smog and he wants to avoid the nightmare he went through on the previous inspection. What…it currently has 125K miles on it so it probably had around 100K at the last smog and the experience was so horrific that he vowed “never again”...good grief.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I wonder what happened to the articulated rear (hope that’s universally inoffensive) as well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/14/15 5:38 p.m.

Having driven several liftbacks over the years, I wonder if the cost of the big window, and the difficulty of keeping them squeakless were factors?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/15 6:13 p.m.

I'm going to assume my CRX is a liftback for the sake of this conversation, as it appears the angle of the rear window and the size of the, uhh, lifted element is the defining feature. I was recently chasing a squeak in the rear that sounded exactly like the big lifted element jittering around. Turns out it was something different, and with that solved there's nary a peep out of the back. I'm impressed, I get more noise out of the glovebox door in most cars. So I guess it's not that hard if a 30-year-old Honda is quiet.

I'd include the Audi TT in the list of currently available options.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/14/15 7:18 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: 370z?

Unlike the original 240, the 370 is useless as a hatchback, as the space is so small that other than a few groceries, you're pretty much out of luck hauling stuff.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/15 8:03 p.m.

while it is not a coupe... Aren't the Prius and the 1st gen Honda insight considered liftbacks?

For the sake of really causing an argument (and perhaps showing the final nail in the liftback's coffin.. so was the Pontiac Aztek

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/15 8:33 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: while it is not a coupe... Aren't the Prius and the 1st gen Honda insight considered liftbacks? For the sake of really causing an argument (and perhaps showing the final nail in the liftback's coffin.. so was the Pontiac Aztek

Okay, now we're really getting off topic. None of those are coupes, so I don't see the argument. I'm not trying to go tit-for-tat on the "liftback vs hatchback" debate. This all began with me thinking about the great seating position of my MkII Supra and its cavernous hatch opening; I'm just sad that nothing modern seems to offer that.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/15 9:30 p.m.

Modern hatchback coupe? I have one of those. CR-Z.

Mike
1/14/15 9:46 p.m.

Mike
1/14/15 9:54 p.m.

Mike
1/14/15 10:07 p.m.

Jaguar f-coupe

Jaguar XK

Porsche Cayman

I'm starting to think I don't understand what you're after.

Mike
1/14/15 10:13 p.m.

Okay. Last two:

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/14/15 10:17 p.m.

I seriously never knew the XK did that

Mike
1/14/15 10:23 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: I seriously never knew the XK did that

Yeah, I was surprised. Almost looks like a pickup. Jagamino? Probably more like Jagchero. Gotta haul them golf clubs.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/15/15 8:38 a.m.

Hmm, mike's posts contain a great deal of win. Love that F-type.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
1/15/15 11:25 a.m.

That XK caught me off guard too, never knew it had that much space in the back. It was said earlier, but the RSX was the successor to the Integra and kept the liftback profile. They don't make them anymore but they were making them into the 2000's. I always loved how much stuff I could cram into my Integra.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
1/16/15 7:35 a.m.
EvanR wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: The Scion TC and FRS should both qualify, too.
tC is a liftback. The Toyobaru twins have a trunk.

And the weird thing is the tC looks like it should have a trunk and the Toyobaru looks like it should be a liftback.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/16/15 10:42 a.m.

All that's really left are the 370z, the veloster and the tc

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/16/15 10:53 a.m.

So what is the Malibu Maxx?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gSlpUU8XBOTAC44HAqlUCSsFnDnVmSlpay6HPLKPQnqJ8zXeIRd4N0WGkl1isjgO