1 2 3
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/12/20 4:57 p.m.

Why did it go away?  As someone with an all white, 90s era truck it just looked right to have a set of Michelin LTs with the white lettering standing out proudly.  Is that just me?

I've seen the kits to add them to tires, and there are a couple Chargers rolling around here with big ole NITTO lettering on their wheels.  It makes me want to see if Cooper has a set for the rubber on my truck.

Anyone tried the kits? Any comments on them?

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/12/20 5:00 p.m.

Raised white letters look perfect on the bfg all terrains on my highlux. Its kinda back with stenciled letters on tires fad. I still like it. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/12/20 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

That's a perfect example.  33s on a Toyota or Wrangler just don't look right without those white letters.

einy
einy HalfDork
2/12/20 5:15 p.m.

The Firestone Destination 2’s that I put on the S10 were raised white letter tires.  That was about two years ago.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
2/12/20 5:21 p.m.

I have never tried the kits, but I have the RWL Vitour Formulas on my VW Caddy.  They're surprisingly decent.  Certainly better than than the 3 decade old compound of the Cooper's.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/12/20 5:22 p.m.

Around here all vape bros, paint white lettering on their tires on their slammed cars. It is so bad here, that my SUV that had Goelanders ,the white lettering on the outside, which I loved. I swapped tires to BFG K02 285s, and have black on the outside now.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/12/20 5:27 p.m.
einy said:

The Firestone Destination 2’s that I put on the S10 were raised white letter tires.  That was about two years ago.

Do you have any photos?

All of the Destination 2s I have seen are RWOL.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/12/20 5:39 p.m.

My ranger with White letters out, must be an all terrain thing these days. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/12/20 5:42 p.m.

It didn't go away in my case:

General Grabber A/T

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/12/20 5:46 p.m.

A trend.  Put whitewalls back on the Corvette.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/12/20 5:47 p.m.

It's hard to put white raised letters on 60 section sidewalls. Blame giant wheels.

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
2/12/20 6:05 p.m.

RWL Geolandars FTW!!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/12/20 6:16 p.m.

Not sure how long it'll hang around. Maybe longer than flat black paint jobs but it's definitely a "thing" now.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
2/12/20 6:17 p.m.

I know the Firestone destination line all have white letters (at, le2, and Mt) but you have to ask the tech or sales person to mount them white letters out 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/12/20 6:20 p.m.

I bought a used set of tires for our minivan that someone had spent hours grinding flats on the sidewalls and gluing "TrackPack" and "Charger" on the side of. 
ripped that off in about 10 minutes and now wish I hadn't. 

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/12/20 6:24 p.m.

I wish Pirelli came with them. I fixed mine with a yellow paint pen in a nod to F1

BionicTigerShark
BionicTigerShark New Reader
2/12/20 6:43 p.m.

Anyone else notice this?

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
2/12/20 6:46 p.m.

In reply to BionicTigerShark :

Good eye! And freakin' hilarious!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/20 7:09 p.m.
Appleseed said:

It's hard to put white raised letters on 60 section sidewalls. Blame giant wheels.

Uh?

Here are some new 205/60R13 BFGs:

And their new home:

A lot of the reason they are not made anymore is there is a high rejection rate at the factory.  They mold the black, then white, then black again, then grind the black off to show the white underneath.  This process is not precise.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/12/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to BionicTigerShark :

Someone needs to add these to their Pirelli's:

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/12/20 7:25 p.m.

We got courser atx last winter for my wife's escape and my tire guy wanted to put them white letter out but i went black letter because it's a 2wd escape on all terrains 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/20 7:29 p.m.

ORWLs were the E36 M3..

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/12/20 7:52 p.m.
stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/20 8:16 p.m.

I've had 2 recent vehicles that have had OWRL tires:

2012 Wrangler, bought new in 2012 and sold in 2018:

And the truck I just bought, a 2015 Ram 1500:

People would give me crap about having the white lettering side out on the Wrangler. I think has a classic look to it.

einy
einy HalfDork
2/12/20 8:19 p.m.
Cooter said:
einy said:

Do you have any photos?

All of the Destination 2s I have seen are RWOL.

I don’t .... truck was sold about a year ago and moved out of state.  I bought them at Discount Tire though, and they were in stock at that time.  Not a special order or anything like that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dqi0a5f7OuZ0wDphBh2Z1HRblha5v62bIX6kQbyxHWZ7uzbO4t30wcWkoxqPb0zJ