1 2 3
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/24/09 9:43 a.m.

I vote Volvo. Mediocre gas mileage, but supremely comfortable highway cars. Best seats around.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
9/24/09 9:45 a.m.

As far as TDIs go, all you would find for $5k would be a 98 jetta, in about the same condition as a gas one that would be worth $500.

RussellH
RussellH Reader
9/24/09 10:43 a.m.

I've been driving 110 miles a day lately in my '97 328i - most of my driving is on the freeway and I avg 30mpg (according to the onboard computer). It's comfortable, not too big and has pretty good passing power even at 80mph.

My main gripes are:

• With a16gal tank the range is not enough and I see the gas station twice a week.

• Unlike a Honda the BMWs require more maintenance in general.

• It's getting long in the tooth, when it comes to how much better the new cars are in terms of safety and when you're spending so much time driving on the freeway and seeing some nasty crashes on the way to work, wanting to be in a larger and safer car does cross your mind.

If my car dies I'll probably buy my wife a new car and take her 2004 Accord as a daily driver, it'll be boring but for some reason it offers a less stressful ride.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
9/24/09 11:24 a.m.

I drive 400 miles a week or so in my 87 milano, i certainly wouldnt recomend one to a non car person, but its really a much better car than i expected it to be.

iTrack
iTrack New Reader
9/24/09 12:16 p.m.

Lexus SC300 standard trans or SC400, Supra based luxo car.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/09 12:42 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
SVreX wrote: I'll sell my 5 spd SVX in that price range, but it's not too good on gas. Huge in the giggles department, definitely comfortable for the long haul, but not too good on gas.
So I finally get a price out of you!

Were you waiting for a price??

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/24/09 1:32 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
SVreX wrote: I'll sell my 5 spd SVX in that price range, but it's not too good on gas. Huge in the giggles department, definitely comfortable for the long haul, but not too good on gas.
So I finally get a price out of you!
Were you waiting for a price??

Ive asked several times and we always get into a discussion of whether it is the car I want. Probably my fault as much as yours, but we never quite make it to price.

M030
M030 Reader
9/24/09 1:37 p.m.

I took a 2000 Saab 9-5 with a manual transmission in trade last week and I tried to sell him that. He won't hear it; says they are too much trouble (I disagree on that point).

Unrelated to Saabs, but relevant to the car search, he says that he finds Ford seats give him a back ache and are generally uncomfortable. I might say I agree - my dad drove Lincolns (Continentals and Town Cars) all his life and I always found the seats to be flat, slippery and uncomfortable for long trips.

I agree that the 98 Jetta TDI for $5K will be in the same condition as a $500 gas-engine Jetta. Maybe the older TDI Passat is a solution.

I'm going to send him out to test drive some cars so I can help narrow down the search. I really like the Hyundai Elantra and Volvo 850 ideas.

Sometimes being "the car guy" is a PITA.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/24/09 2:06 p.m.

I can second (or third) the Volvo bit. Get a 700/900 turbo. They can be made quite quick (with modifications that get you better fuel efficiency anyway). Think Stock mustang quick, but really comfortable. I mean really comfortable. When I get home, sometimes I don't want to get up out of that comfy seat. If the seats didn't weight 100 lbs, it would be better, though.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/24/09 5:02 p.m.

I put ~450 miles a week on my '95 EG Civic.

Regularly returns 38-40 mpg on the 155k mile d16z6 swap. Just passed emissions w/ flying colors.

306k on the chassis.

karlt_10
karlt_10 New Reader
9/24/09 6:52 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
karlt_10 wrote: Honda/Acura. Cheap to get - cheap to fix - cheap to maintain - cheap to upgrade - cheap to insure.
I would love to know what you;'re on..... You can't find a used hondar in this area worth buying for $5k, ACura's are even higher. Most have been riced. Transmissions are really expensive. EGR clogging across the board gets tiresome and the high theft rates makes their insurance a bit more than the norm.

I had my '92 Integra LS coupe for 192,000 miles and 15 years. NEVER had a single major issue or repair. Well, unless you count a starter. Never failed me. Parts were dirt cheap. Easier than crap to work on.

I averaged 24-26 city, 34-36 highway after going the synthetic/K&N/header/exhaust route. EGR never had to be touched. Insurance was dirt cheap.

And maybe they're expensive where you are, but great condition/so-so mileage Hondas can be found around here for decent money. Well, if you can pry it away from the owner.

Oh, and after an old man in a Crown Vic nailed me while pulling-out from Walgreens, someone got my easily drivable Integra for $750. btw- with an engine clean enough to eat off of, and a car that I would have mechanically trusted to run me from one end of the country to the other.

And I have never heard of a transmission issue on a Honda that was properly maintained. Not in the 15 years of ownership - not in the years prior to that when my mother owned an 87 Civic wagon. Also never seen them listed as a problem are in Consumer Reports, etc. Sometimes the problem is the part, many times it's the owner/driver.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/09 7:40 p.m.

A Honda _ is the perfect solution to long-distance, reliable transport for cheap. That said, I agree with the spirit of the GM options but would point out that the Dodge Intrepid is another good way to go. I had an R/T with 125,000 miles on the clock. It put out 250hp/250lb, would cruise at 120mph all day long, the leather seats were great for long-hours, and it had cruise and all the other amenities that make road trips bearable. I needed more room and traded it in and got $700 for it. Amazing car, doesn't hold value.

If you go for the SXT you still get the big motor, but sacrifice the performance suspension and other bits for more luxury items inside.

If you go for the ex-cop version, you get the big motor, less luxury, but people get out of your way when you are cruising down the highway. (ask P71 how nice that is!) They also practically give them out with a Happy Meal.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/09 8:14 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Ive asked several times and we always get into a discussion of whether it is the car I want. Probably my fault as much as yours, but we never quite make it to price.

OK, now you've got a price. In fact, you've got a little better one in your email.

Let's make us both happy- you know you want it!

fastmiata
fastmiata New Reader
9/24/09 8:20 p.m.

Nissan Maxima/Altima we have had both and not only are they great road cars but require absolutely no repairs in over 300k. Find a rare 5spd and enjoy.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
9/24/09 8:22 p.m.
M030 wrote: I'm going to send him out to test drive some cars so I can help narrow down the search. I really like the Hyundai Elantra and Volvo 850 ideas.

Some Volvo advise. Avoid the tan leather interior. It just does not wear as well. I am not saying that it tears easier but rather that it quickly looks like hell. As the leather ages it shows its grain and then that grain picks up dirt. What you end up with is tan with black dirt lines. On the black or even gray leather, my guess is that the same things happen but it becomes black dirt of black leather, unnoticeable.
Volvo 850's were available with cloth, which I like, but it is somewhat rare to find and usually on really basic models.

John
'95 Volvo 850 wagon with black leather

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
9/24/09 9:16 p.m.

3000GT/Stealth?

M030
M030 Reader
9/24/09 10:31 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Dodge Intrepid is another good way to go.

I know some people have had good experiences with them, but I've had a few Intrepids in my life (that I either didn't own or owned only briefly) that managed to torment me to the point that I will never, ever own another or recommend one to someone I know.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
9/24/09 10:54 p.m.

My base model V70 had cloth seats and they were great. Not sweaty in the summer and heated for the winter. You should be able to find a well equipped '99 or so V70 or S70 in the $5k range.

For dirty leather use leatherique. Not cheap but works great to really float out nasty dirt and restore leather.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/25/09 12:22 a.m.

I just picked up a '98 V70 T5, pretty fast for a huge wagon, really comfortable, great highway car.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/25/09 12:44 a.m.
M030 wrote: I took a 2000 Saab 9-5 with a manual transmission in trade last week and I tried to sell him that. He won't hear it; says they are too much trouble (I disagree on that point).

Not necesarily too much trouble, if they were taken care of. But sometimes things break for no reason. Quite annoying.

33-35MPG for me on the highway, doing about 79 the whole way.

M030
M030 Reader
9/25/09 5:35 a.m.

mtn,

I like Saabs. I might keep the 9-5 for myself, as it's only got 53K on it, isn't worth much and it's my favorite color - black.

That doesn't help me advise my friend/potential customer, though...

paul
paul New Reader
9/25/09 6:23 p.m.

Highly suggest looking at 3rd generation (86-89) accords and preludes... Nice handling car, parts are dirt cheap, extremely reliable, cheap insurance.

I have a 89 accord, put around 39k miles a year on it, fantastic car.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/25/09 7:33 p.m.

Suby.... Legacy ... maybe the GT

M030
M030 Reader
9/25/09 8:34 p.m.

It's kind of a pipe-dream, but wouldn't the ultimate long distance commuter car be an old diesel Volvo with a TDI swap?

The 1980's diesel Volvos used VW engines anyway, so theoretically...

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
9/26/09 2:31 a.m.
iTrack wrote: Lexus SC300 standard trans or SC400, Supra based luxo car.

Good suggestion, my SC is very comfortable. I have taken it to LA from Portland and back 4 times. The gas mileage is not stellar however, I average 22-23 on the highway.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ReRnBxZbu0w6gvcS7vLR8qfhZW57u43qEKbwlUelBSXf14GAtIueFA9RQk0yeUBf