1 2 3 ... 5
CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/10 9:32 p.m.

If there is one, I missed it.

However, they've improved a lot. So far so good. I'll keep watching!

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/28/10 9:37 p.m.

I agree, they suck a lot less than the first episode. Tanner appeared to have some emotion.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/28/10 9:38 p.m.

ah still on. guess I'll watch the last 20. The football game is sucking anyways.

whoa....Dominic Monaghan looks like he's Rutledge's cooler little brother. Cooler in that he's not a geek, can probably get a female to date him, and wears clothes not from Salvation Army.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
11/28/10 9:38 p.m.

I'm watching Brew Masters instead. I'll catch Top Gear on DVR here in a bit.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
11/28/10 9:39 p.m.

Wake me up when there's a segment that isn't a rip off.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/28/10 9:39 p.m.

The Lost guy who was the star in a reasonably priced car was kind of annoying, but otherwise it's been alright so far.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
11/28/10 9:40 p.m.

Overall much improved. No helicopter chases in this one. After so many years of watching the British version it still takes some getting use to.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/28/10 9:44 p.m.

wait.....they just called a 370z "lightweight" Isn't it somewhere north of 3500lbs? That's lightweight these days?

The lead-in for this segment had terrible one-liners.

Adam still with the blank expression on his face.

The intro to this lame drift segment is retarded. It's like "intro to drifting for teenage girls" or something. Note to writers: everyone who would watch this show knows what drift is already.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter SuperDork
11/28/10 9:51 p.m.

Nope, still E36 M3.

They need to either fire their editor, or shoot more footage. It's like they're intentionally using the lamest, most annoying snippets of footage.

Fire the writers, too.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/28/10 9:54 p.m.

Rutlege to Adam: "You realize that Top Gear's reputation rests solely on your shoulders."

I hope he wasn't serious.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/28/10 9:54 p.m.

I forget to watch, I was making SWMBO watch the wedding test of the Aston, Maserati, and Porsche. She threatened death if that happened at our wedding. Auto tune for tomarrow.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/28/10 9:58 p.m.

terrible editing. switching between angles of action shots....one angle, car has a roof-mounted camera. other angle, it doesn't. They try to mesh them together as if they're simultaneous....

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/28/10 10:00 p.m.

the dog just pissed on the top gear logo on the floor.

somehow that seemed appropriate...

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
11/28/10 10:06 p.m.

I smiled and laughed all the way through it. After all tha hate for this and gt5 I'm beginning to think the only thing ya'll do like is miatas and bacon.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/28/10 10:16 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I smiled and laughed all the way through it. After all tha hate for this and gt5 I'm beginning to think the only thing ya'll do like is miatas and bacon.

Yep--it's a lot of contrarianism. People just want to hate for the sake of hating.

If TGUK didn't exist, there is literally NOTHING on television that could touch TGUS in terms of car shows. It's not phenomenal (like TGUK), but it's certainly good.

This episode was 100% better than the premiere. Already, everyone is more at-ease on camera. Also--way better move having Ruttlidge do the celeb interview.

I was genuinely entertained by it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/10 10:29 p.m.

Not too shabby. I actually enjoyed it. I was glad to see the in car camera shake gone or at least less noticeable. Video editing could still use some work and the dialog is a little flat, but that will come with time and experience. Not as good a the UK version, but worth the watch. If they get a little better with each show, by the time they get to the 15th season it should be great. I'll keep watching it.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
11/28/10 10:29 p.m.
irish44j wrote: the dog just pissed on the top gear logo on the floor. somehow that seemed appropriate...

That was my favorite part.

I'm watching next week, they got my attention with the Turbo Coupe.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
11/28/10 10:44 p.m.

I enjoyed it. It's much better than the first episode. It'll never be as good as TGUK but I enjoyed it and will continue to watch.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
11/28/10 10:59 p.m.

It's better, but I tend to agree with the dog.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/10 12:06 a.m.

Someone here forgot to set the DVR

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
11/29/10 12:56 a.m.

I would agree that it's not as developed as the UK version but I think it's a good show. It'll get better as time goes on but there isn't much else car related that I'd want to watch.

What are we going to go back to watching Motor Trend TV?

I want to watch next week just to see them jump the Cadillac.

Kiponator
Kiponator New Reader
11/29/10 1:36 a.m.

My impression is that all of the hosts are terrible.

Tanner Foust has some credibility as a "car guy" but he cancels that out by not having any kind of screen presence at all. Very much a stunned and wooden look, which is baffling since he has had a ton of practice with TV presenting on SPEED channel. Although I have to say that Supercars Exposed was a completely awful show especially compared to how good it should have been.

As for the other two guys, they are just wrong. I won't even go into it because we don't have the time or space to list all the ways they are wrong for the show.

I will say my main issue with those 2 guys is that there is NO WAY they are driving the cars when they are cutting back and forth from exterior and interior shots. I doubt Hammond, May and Clarkson are always driving for their segments either -- but at least the illusion doesn't strain common sense to the point that it is completely shattered.

It's all kind of a shame because they built a studio, they have a track, and are somehow getting access to some interesting cars, but for what?

It's beautifully photographed, but whatever entertainment value it delivers seems almost accidental. There are sporadic, brief flashes of something that isn't irritatingly lame, but those moments are agonizingly rare.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
11/29/10 6:18 a.m.

My first episode, so I don't have the premiere to compare to.

Hosts are terrible. They have no screen presence and don't deliver their lines naturally...it's obvious everything is scripted. A world of entertainers out there that could do this and they pick these 3? Tommy Kendall wasn't available? The flannel guy gets the best lines but his delivery just falls flat.

Photography is above average for any US show but trails the UK version, but I'm ok with that. Still better produced than anything on SPEED.

I did LOL several times so it's not a complete train wreck. It's not must-see TV but it has potential. Either the hosts get comfortable in front of the camera and develop some camaraderie or they need to be replaced by guys who can't double for cardboard cut outs.

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
11/29/10 6:38 a.m.

I fully expected NOT to like it due to being such a faithful TGUK watcher. I was right. It is painful to watch them struggle like that. Tanner is no Richard Hammond racing skiers in an EVO. I had never heard of the other two. Reading that Rutledge is affiliated with SpeedChannel and NASCAR, I'm put off.

However, shooting the whole series down after 2 episodes isn't giving them a fair chance to develop the series to its full potential. It's hard to beat the chemistry that James, Richard and Jeremy have on the UK version. It just works amazingly well. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. I hope it improves and becomes a regular fixture on my DVR.

I still wonder what it would have been like if Adam Carolla had continued as one of the hosts. I'm a big fan of his podcast and would have liked to see what he could or would have done.

"And on that bombshell, it's time to end..." this post.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
11/29/10 6:50 a.m.

Ep 2 was better for a hundred diffrent reasons ... many mentioned already. I will keep watching, I actually liked this one ....

but I'm still waiting for anything bad to be said about any car, as long as they keep testing and giving praise to big dollar machines it will still fall behind TGUK.

Worst thing said was the V8 vantage wasn't as good as the 911 (no specifc details to which 911 or why just "For the money, I'd rather have the 911") ... then the V12 is tested and praised.

Have more balls, screw the advertizers, say what you think, get hosts that have enough experence to know why 'supercar A' sucks worse then 'supercar B'.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h9AwEh99gga9JCstHh8blFzv6BNzkBuKmVvNfoiLDe8UEJfwKor5HiKmn8yMH3Re