Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/23 9:18 a.m.

My current OBD2 scan tool is a Harbor Freight special. It works, but is pretty basic. I'm looking to update it to something that will do more. 

First up, is the VW diesel. Is there a scan tool that will talk to it that will also talk to other cars? My current reader will pull generic codes from the VW but that's about it. 

The Hummer has one of GM's complicated ABS units. I'll probably need a scan tool to properly bleed the brakes. My current reader doesn't do brakes, transmissions, or ABS units. 

It would also be pretty cool if it could talk to the Cummins in the motorhome. The ability to pull real-time data would be nice too. 

So basically I'm looking for one tool that will do it all or possibly software and adapters for a computer. 

What do I want? I don't mind spending decent money to get it if I can get a do-all machine. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/27/23 9:26 a.m.

Ancel/topdon, same company I believe or launch x231(?). Find them on amazon mid $4-500 or 900. Will do many special service functions.

I looked at the first result on Amazon for scan tool and it pulled up a sponsored topdon model for $487 with a $100 off coupon.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/27/23 9:34 a.m.

I have a Foxwell 510 Elite, it's an older model without a touchscreen, but it's been very helpful in diagnosing issues. I paid extra for the manufacturer-specific software (about $50-70 per manufacturer) and have been very happy with it. I think it was $189 with one manufacturer's software included.

It paid for itself when my used Honda Odyssey started acting up from a transmission perspective. With the Honda software, I could read the transmission codes, and monitor the slipping in OD that I was seeing. I was able to reproduce the code after the dealer cleared it, and received a new/used transmission as a result. So it's paid for itself a few times over!

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/23 12:01 p.m.

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for, but for VW stuff, I'd highly recommend shelling out for VCDS. I've also heard good things about OBDeleven. Slightly less functionality, but you can read the codes from your phone. Both pay for themselves after one DSG service. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/23 4:34 p.m.

I'm also interested in this, as my current, basic unit can't really do much with the more modern cars other than just read codes.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
12/27/23 6:48 p.m.

I would look at Launch products and find what does what you need.  I have a matco branded launch that I use for service resets, caliper retract, etc because it is small and quick.  It actually does pretty much everything a bigger unit will do too.  Does trans, abs, srs, live data, etc.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/27/23 10:22 p.m.

The Cummins in the motor home is gonna be the tough one.  

Your other vehicles can be read with pretty much any scan tool, just get one that supports the years and features you are after.  The amazon suggestions are very good for the money.  

The Cummins is likely an HD protocol (does it have OBDII plug?) so it will need either a separate scanner or one of the few that do both.  

Toyman!
12/29/23 8:04 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

It's HD and will probably require a separate scanner. 

I did make a decision on the OBD2 scanner and this arrived today.

One thing I wanted to be able to do was program keys and fobs. This guy will do those as well. 

It came with all the plugs and 2 years worth of updates. It is also pretty intuitive to use. Not the cheapest but I'm pretty happy with the purchase. 

i plugged it into the Hummer and it found a bunch of codes in various systems. Most of them  com errors. I have cleared them and will see what comes back. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/29/23 9:45 p.m.

On the subject of scanners, do any of the ChinaHarborBayMazon touchscreen ones do OBDI well?  Or are they pretty much capped at OBDII?  

I am still hanging on to my Snap On MTG-2500 because it does OBDI very very well and from time to time some old piece of garbage crosses my driveway.  

One of the nice things about the Snap On MTG and Solus is they still use all the old weird OBDI adapters and personality keys.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/29/23 11:30 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Only if you want to spend $2800 for another Snapon scanner. Solus is discontinued.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/24 5:41 p.m.

Necro-threading this as my trusty BT-1 does seem to really be relegated to use with Harry's Lap Timer these days and I could really do with something a bit more sophisticated.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Would you still recommend this code reader for a hobbyist who suddenly seems to have a few too many OBD-2 cars? It looks like they're not too expensive used.

In reply to Toyman! :

How do you like this scanner? Would you recommend it?

Toyman!
3/11/24 8:16 a.m.

So far, so good. It has done everything I needed it to. 

I haven't tried it on the VW yet. Rather miraculously, it doesn't have a CEL. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/11/24 9:46 a.m.

Toyman what exact model/link is that?

Toyman!
3/11/24 10:33 a.m.

Topdon Phoenix Plus

I probably spent too much but I wanted to be able to program keys and fobs. I also wanted to be able to talk to the VW and bleed the ABS system on the Hummer. This one is supposed to be able to do it all with most manufacturers. It will pull codes from all of the modules in the Hummer without issue.

My only problem with it so far is I don't use it enough to keep the battery charged. I'm probably going to store it on my charger shelf and plug it in to a timed charger to keep the battery charged. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/11/24 11:20 a.m.

I recently bought a TOPDON AD600S. Not as capable as what Toyman has, but very good for under $200. It is a huge step up from the Autel tool I bought about ten years ago. Easy (free) updates over WIFI, services more makes of cars than you can buy in the US, easy to use touch-screen interface.

spandak
spandak Dork
3/11/24 1:28 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

I'm assuming you have Durametric but does this get any further into the Porsche system than a typical scanner? 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/11/24 1:48 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

I have not used it a lot on the Boxsters yet, but it does read the Porsche specific codes, SRS, ABS, and Tiptronic. I still need to try the live data to see if it reads Cam Deviation - Maybe later this week.

I don't have a Durametric, but I do have an original, working PST-2 that runs with an antique laptop.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
3/11/24 6:16 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

The AD600S is on sale for $167 now  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
63eDs3jDNqTX3kri6AET54xEIzt8iyYmDdWTzZUvuwVmjmDaPrEgR0nup6LHEJ1u