1 2
phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/26/08 3:28 p.m.

Now that you all saw the damage: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/noo-pathy-is-gone/6017/page1/

We need a new one. What should it be?

Criteria: Used SUV between 30,000 and 60000 miles 4wd 4 doors Focus on Japs but not Euro. Price range: $10k to $18k V6, no V8 Must be reliable, with no problems or cause for concern.

My dad prefers the Pilot but I would like to learn more about the American options because we are in a tight spot because of this. Thanks for your help and tell me if you need any more info

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
12/26/08 3:42 p.m.

Too bad you're not closer, I could fix you up with an '03 Honda CRV with 70k miles, $12k. Perfect condition, one owner, no issues ever. Sorry for the shameless plug, but I need to sell it.

phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/26/08 3:48 p.m.

another thing, not looking for a crv type. Something like a Pahtfinder, pilot, 4runner or highlander size. I think the CR-v is smaller

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
12/26/08 7:58 p.m.

The best Pathfinder, Xterra, or 4-Runner you can find in your price range.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
12/27/08 8:21 a.m.
B02S4 wrote: The best Pathfinder, Xterra, or 4-Runner you can find in your price range.

That's what I was thinking, too, if you are thinking "enclosed pickup" school of SUVs instead of "all weather station wagon" sort of SUVs. On the American side, decent choices in that category would include the Ford Explorer, Chevy Blazer and Trailblazer, and Jeep Cherokee (although the Cherokee may be out of his year range, they're very competent 4x4s).

phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/27/08 1:12 p.m.

The pathfinder was a 4x2 with ability to shift into a 4x4 mode. What suvs out there have that ability. And tell me more about the american options especially with Jeep. I'm looking at the Jeep wrangler unlimited right now, and it looks cool. And Not too expensive for a new one. I think the pathfinder was about $35k new but the wrangler could be had for about 25k, maybe more when the options are all added. Aren't they doing low prices now that the economy is so bad?

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
12/27/08 1:21 p.m.

Ouch, sorry to see another good 'finder down.

My brother's wife just replaced her mint, low-mile '97 Finder SE with a loaded '05(SE?). She reports that despite the extra 100hp and 600lbs, it gets the same gas mileage and drives like a rocket propelled tugboat. The styling is a bit iffy, but as she and Per report, evidently they're still great trucks. Sorry, wrong response?

Miata, Astro, E30, Subaru beater, uhh... Yugo?

side note: haven't seen or heard much from the loyal Yugo fanatics lately. Where are you all? More posts!

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
12/27/08 4:54 p.m.

Might I suggest a '94 and newer Toyota LandCruiser/Lexus LX?

Mine is a '91, great in snow.....the only negative is MPG, but I didn't really buy it for that, so I can't complain.

-John

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
12/27/08 6:52 p.m.
phillyj wrote: The pathfinder was a 4x2 with ability to shift into a 4x4 mode. What suvs out there have that ability. And tell me more about the american options especially with Jeep. I'm looking at the Jeep wrangler unlimited right now, and it looks cool. And Not too expensive for a new one. I think the pathfinder was about $35k new but the wrangler could be had for about 25k, maybe more when the options are all added. Aren't they doing low prices now that the economy is so bad?

My father's had a couple different Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0 inline six. They're pretty much tanks; it's easy to get 200,000 miles out of that motor. Most Cherokees, and I'm pretty sure all Wranglers, are set up like Pathy, with a locking transfer case. The Cherokee is a decent off roader with some roadgoing utility, while the Wrangler is more of a purpose built rock crawler which has the required safety equipment to make it street legal.

bill
bill New Reader
12/28/08 5:25 a.m.

If the Pilot is under consideration, why not an outback?

minimac
minimac Dork
12/28/08 6:27 a.m.

I wouldn't discount the Mitsubishi Montero. I think they stopped making the bigger one around '05. I had an 01 XLS that was loaded up,. It was excellent in the snow, shift on the fly 4X4, very comfortable on the road, built like a tank, and delivered very good gas mileage. The Montero Sport is just as capable, and prices are good.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/28/08 10:20 a.m.

If buying another Pathy is a sensible choice for you does that make you Pathological?

phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/30/08 9:55 a.m.

My dad doesn't want another pathfinder because he is madd that he did $800 of work on it the week before b/c of innspections. I think the rear upper link assembly had to be replaced to pass the inspection. So, if its a used car, he wants one that won't give us any trouble for at least a year. We recently moved and there are alot of payments to give every month. I think a used 4runner would be nice but they have low mileage and therefore high prices e.g. a 2006 with 20 to 30k miles but costs close to $20000. I think thats too much, but got to look around some more.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/08 10:52 a.m.

I know where there's a really clean Trooper for cheap, just needs an engine...

phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/30/08 2:03 p.m.

anything more practical than an engineless trooper? How about this: Used

2006 Pathy vs 2006 4runner vs 2006 honda pilot?

Tell me the disadvantages/advantages of them. I have no experience with them.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/30/08 4:29 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I know where there's a really clean Trooper for cheap, just needs an engine...

What year? A '98-up with a 3.5 would be a great truck. If it's the '92-97 with the 3.2, that's like the one I have and while a great rig it's somewhat underpowered compared to the later ones. The '91 and back, I wouldn't bother because of the age and the GM V6 is pretty gutless.

If it's a '98 or later, a boneyard motor should be pretty cheap. Just make sure it's not actually a Rodeo motor because those were 3.2's and it will bolt in. The VIN is on the LH cylinder head. All 98-up Rodeos had a -4 VIN prefix, Troopers had a -J. Pick up the Trooper for $1500 or so, pop a $1k boneyard motor in it and boogie on.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/30/08 9:50 p.m.
bill wrote: If the Pilot is under consideration, why not an outback?

+10 billion.

I can't say enough good things about Outbacks. Unless you need to tow things, get an Outback. It has more room, more ground clearance, significantly better handling, better fuel economy, and it's better in the snow than any SUV or pickup ever made. Hands down the best wheeled snow vehicle I've ever driven, ridden in, or been around.

Insofar as the selectable 4WD, stay away from pushbutton units. Make SURE it's got a transfercase shifter in the floor! Manual locking hubs are also FAR superior to autolocking units, which have a tendency to fail just when you need them most. If you're not gonna go with an outback, a Jeep would be the next best thing. 4.0 with a 5 speed, reasonable fuel economy, and more torque than you'll know what to do with.

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
12/31/08 1:59 a.m.

What about a Subaru Forrester?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/08 7:03 a.m.
Jensenman wrote:
petegossett wrote: I know where there's a really clean Trooper for cheap, just needs an engine...
What year? A '98-up with a 3.5 would be a great truck. If it's the '92-97 with the 3.2, that's like the one I have and while a great rig it's somewhat underpowered compared to the later ones. The '91 and back, I wouldn't bother because of the age and the GM V6 is pretty gutless. If it's a '98 or later, a boneyard motor should be pretty cheap. Just make sure it's not actually a Rodeo motor because those were 3.2's and it will bolt in. The VIN is on the LH cylinder head. All 98-up Rodeos had a -4 VIN prefix, Troopers had a -J. Pick up the Trooper for $1500 or so, pop a $1k boneyard motor in it and boogie on.

I'm pretty sure it's an early 90's, and last time I checked w/him he would let it go for $500. He had a guy who was going to scrap it & give him some $$, but that never happened.

I had a friend who had considered buying it. He looked into a rebuilt engine, but they were $3500. Most of the junkyard ones he found needed rebuilt too.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/31/08 7:07 a.m.

Yeah, if it's an early '90's the ones in the boneyard will be pretty well worn out. The damn things just refuse to die and people drive them till they drop. A later twin cam motor can be swapped but the engine management etc has to go over as well, now it's getting out of the 'inexpensive plug n' play weekend project' realm.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/31/08 7:44 a.m.

I'd say look at pilots.. You don't mention that you NEED a "Real" 4x4. Last time I checked those things were sitting on lots. The used prices should be rather soft as well.

or an outback.

2005 4x4 pilot http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2005-HONDA-PILOT-4X4-7-PILOTS-IN-STOCK-FREE-DELIVERY_W0QQitemZ320324827469QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item320324827469&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

buy it now of $11k..

the market is SOOOOOOOFT for those things.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
12/31/08 11:10 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Insofar as the selectable 4WD, stay away from pushbutton units. Make SURE it's got a transfercase shifter in the floor! Manual locking hubs are also FAR superior to autolocking units, which have a tendency to fail just when you need them most. If you're not gonna go with an outback, a Jeep would be the next best thing. 4.0 with a 5 speed, reasonable fuel economy, and more torque than you'll know what to do with.

Interesting... although no Jeep made since the late 80's has had manual hubs. Axle-disconnect (FTL...) which basically killed Jeeps for me... At the same time, Subaru became dead to me when they went to full-time AWD vs. the older part-time set-ups. I never want to own another AWD car... what a waste.

And this car/truck is for his father... so we can assume that any Pathfinder replacement will need to be a basic, simple driver... not some project that needs an engine swap (or can be swapped for something with more zoot). I don't know why those are even being suggested...

Personally, my smallish SUV choices pretty much begin and end with a 2nd gen 4Runner... which is too old for your needs... everything else is either junk or not worth bothering with (no fan of SUV's here).

phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/31/08 11:18 a.m.

I told my dad about Subaru but he's not sure about it. He knows how the other ones are b/c most Indians drive them but I don't know of any Indians in our area driving a Subaru.

Is the transfer case 4wd system more expensive or cheaper than the push button? Why is the transfercase model better? Many of the models of these new suvs seem to have the button cause I don't see the 4x4 shifter.

Our rental is a jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4. Is that an automatic 4x4 or full time awd? Its too small compared to the pathy, though.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
12/31/08 12:35 p.m.

"push-button" refers to how the 4WD system is engaged vs. a simple lever on the floor/console (usually with 2Hi-4Hi-N-4Lo positins). All truck-based 4x4's have a transfer case, which is located behind the main transmission and splits the drive power to the front and rear axles. Car-based SUV's have a transfer case as well, but it's typically integrated into the main transmission.

SUV's with AWD generally won't have any lever or buttons for the 4WD mechanism - it's generally controlled by a computer. Additionally, I've never heard of an AWD system that had a Lo range. Sometimes, there will be a "4-lock" button that will lock the transfer case so that power is always equally split to both axles.

I think Cherokee's were available in either 4WD or AWD trim. If there's no buttons or lever for the 4WD, then it's AWD.

phillyj
phillyj Reader
12/31/08 6:16 p.m.

I was looking at cars.com just to see whats out there and most 4x4 don't have the second shifter. Should I assume they are either full time awd or pushbotton? We're looking for something reliable so this is a minor thing? Out of curiosity, can you gearheads name some of the transfercase suvs, please?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s4LWyPMyo1IkeppA79J1Zwc3agOOfd3rTFjQ8vuDahC73x4bVwZ6iwKR3ORsR2vp