1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/25/15 12:15 a.m.

GA only tests in ATL (maybe Athens?). Most of the state has no testing at all.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/15 12:53 a.m.

Idaho only has two counties that require emissions testing: Ada and Canyon counties. Basically Boise and surrounding suburbs. That's it.

There are no other inspections in this state.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
3/25/15 1:03 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Nevada only requires emissions testing in Clark and Washoe counties, IOW the areas around and including Las Vegas and Reno/Sparks. No safety inspection anywhere IIRC.

IOW about the only places people actually live :)

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/25/15 6:37 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Anybody know about North Carolina?

48 of the 100 counties in NC require emissions testing … they all require a safety inspection (which is a joke)

stan_d
stan_d Dork
3/25/15 6:53 a.m.

No inspections or testing in Indiana.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/25/15 7:27 a.m.

No inspections or emissions tests in Kentucky.

Honestly I'd like at least some level of regulation over what crap is allowed on the roads. Bald tires with cords showing? Run it! Rolling coal from your brodozer? Absolutely!!

Better than Massachusetts though. In Mass my dad had to junk a car because the CEL was on and the repair cost more than the car was worth and it wouldn't pass inspection with a CEL. Makes me wonder how there are any VWs on the road up there.....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/25/15 8:06 a.m.

As has been said, Michigan has non, but once I'm benevolent dictator of the universe I will mandate it everywhere. Yes that's right I will implement emissions testing. All cars up to 10 years old will have an OBD 2 plug in test and strict sniffer test. From 10 to 20 years old they will still have OBD 2 plug in (Where applicable) but a reduced standard of sniffer test to take account of the aging cars. From 20 years on there will be a biannual sniffer only test, just to test for gross polluters, not super strict. 30 years and older just a visual tailpipe to check for excessive smoke only. Nowhere will there be an under hood visual inspection. Any modifications or engine swaps will be allowed on any vehicle of any age as long as it passes the test for the age of the chassis. 30 year old engine in a 5 year old car? No problem as long as it passes. The only thing you can’t do is put a diesel in any car less than 10 years old that didn’t have one. If you have completely take leave of your senses and want to put a diesel in an NA Miata go ahead, if you want to do it to a 2010 NC Miata, forget it. There will also be a basic safety inspection to check tires, brakes, shocks, lights, wipers etc.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
3/25/15 8:23 a.m.

NC: No inspection for cars 35 years or older, assuming consistent registration. A rebuilt car needs an inspection to deem it roadworthy. No emmissions check for cars 1996 or older. Emissions for 1996 and newer. They are considering allowing cars newer than 3 years and less than 70,000 miles to also be emissions exempt.

penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
3/25/15 8:37 a.m.

In Maryland, a car can be tagged "historic" if it's 25 years old or older. No inspection, nothing. That's one reason I suspect that NA miatas here are (comparatively) more pricey than their NB counterparts. This doesn't really solve your winter problem though.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/25/15 8:41 a.m.

Virginia only has emissions inpsections in:
Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park

If you have obd2 they will plug your car in otherwise you get a tailpipe sniffer test.

Annual safety inspections for everyone.

25+ yr old vehicles registered as antique are subject to neither. Antique registration has its limitations on how you are allowed to use your vehicle though.

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs Reader
3/25/15 8:51 a.m.
SVreX wrote: GA only tests in ATL (maybe Athens?). Most of the state has no testing at all.

GA tests in the Atlanta metropolitan counties. Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale Counties. Athens area is not included.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/25/15 6:28 p.m.
chrispy wrote: NC: No inspection for cars 35 years or older, assuming consistent registration. A rebuilt car needs an inspection to deem it roadworthy. No emmissions check for cars 1996 or older. Emissions for 1996 and newer. They are considering allowing cars newer than 3 years and less than 70,000 miles to also be emissions exempt.

Chris, I think you might have meant "no emissions check for 1995 and older"

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/25/15 6:44 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: Nevada only requires emissions testing in Clark and Washoe counties, IOW the areas around and including Las Vegas and Reno/Sparks. No safety inspection anywhere IIRC.
IOW about the only places people actually live :)

With the exception of Carson City. No emissions and I hear a few people live there .

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/25/15 7:46 p.m.

Most of Ohio has no emissions testing. The parts that do have testing only test cars newer than 25 years old, which is fine because nothing newer than 25 years old is worth owning except as a disposable appliance.

Downside: It is very expensive to own a 25+ year old car in Ohio since you have to import anything from other states

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/25/15 8:02 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: No testing or inspections in Minnesota. They did have emissions testing for a few years in the 90s but dropped the program.

The same is true in Kentucky. We don't even care if your ride is drivable. Pay the registration fee and move on "Nothing to see here."

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/25/15 9:16 p.m.

I'm in Michigan, so of course no testing here. They tried for a hot minute, bit canceled it and went back to anything goes. The bulk of cars on the road today aren't gross polluters anyway, so these emissions testing standards are pointless and obvious money grabs for the state. Now mechanical inspections on the other hand, I wish we had a long time ago. With as much rusted out hunks of crap as we've got running around up here it's terrifying. Bald tires, rusted brake, and fuel lines, suspensions so blown out the car drives sideways down the road, we've got it all. It would do the public a far better service to force these E36 M3 boxes off the road.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
3/26/15 9:28 a.m.

In reply to wbjones: yes, thank you.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
3/26/15 9:30 a.m.

indiana is free and clear of any emissions/safety checks

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/26/15 9:41 a.m.
Rupert wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: No testing or inspections in Minnesota. They did have emissions testing for a few years in the 90s but dropped the program.
The same is true in Kentucky. We don't even care if your ride is drivable. Pay the registration fee and move on "Nothing to see here."

The Kentucky system is in some ways good and bad. When we had safety inspections, it cost $2. Often, especially in bad weather, the inspector never looked at the ride. Maybe through a window? How much time are you going to spend for $2 in the rain?

Emissions tests were a joke on played on only the city dwellers. I had a new Accord fail because the "sniffer" said my exhaust was cleaner than the ambient air in the testing station. Considering how much trouble I had breathing in the inspection station, car exhaust probably was an improvement! I never understood how the staff even could work there!

But then again, as was stated earlier, bald tires and no lights aren't that happy a situation either. Somewhere between the two extremes in Kentucky is better than either case we've dealt with in the past.

theenico
theenico Reader
3/26/15 1:47 p.m.

Kansas has nothing. You has title and insurances, you gets a plate.

Something else that might be of interest, what states don't require a front plate?

Kansas and Michigan don't.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/26/15 1:56 p.m.

Ohio only has it in heavily populated areas.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
3/26/15 2:14 p.m.

Saint George here in Utah is exempt.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/26/15 2:43 p.m.
theenico wrote: Kansas has nothing. You has title and insurances, you gets a plate. Something else that might be of interest, what states don't require a front plate? Kansas and Michigan don't.

NC doesn't

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/26/15 3:16 p.m.

In upstate NY there is an annual safety inspection along with a visual and code check for emissions.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/15 3:45 p.m.

In reply to theenico:

Florida also does not require a front plate.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i5vK96kJhwZgRJ3Z7ihxkB26AtCrcPYpOwggh9XVLi0LZs2083S9L4yGSAZvMbfu