1 2
Rxbalt
Rxbalt New Reader
9/26/12 6:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Any JDM micro-van like the Suzuki Super Carry. Engine below floor level, mid-engined, RWD: Also available as pickups, 2WD and 4WD, that will be lighter and have an even lower center of gravity:

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
9/26/12 6:33 p.m.

No Renault Espace F1?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
9/26/12 6:34 p.m.

Or this. Bone stock (except red honda badge) and beat about a dozen cars....including a Miata, IIRC.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/26/12 8:12 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I kinda hate to say it, but yeah. Those things are actually pretty awesome.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
9/26/12 8:59 p.m.

There is another pic of a similar vintage caravan that was a legit road racer, not a chumpcar car, but my google-fu is broken apparently.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/26/12 10:10 p.m.

that thing's legit enough for me. I think they cut out the rear floor and tied the rear shocks' upper mounts into the cage for better shock angles. Seems legit.

You can make an older 84-95 dodge caravan handle decently well by mixing and matching junkyard parts off of other dodges.

And theres about 15 motors that will go in them. Some of the ones that bolt right up are even pretty sweet.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
9/26/12 10:52 p.m.
Vigo wrote: that thing's legit enough for me. I think they cut out the rear floor and tied the rear shocks' upper mounts into the cage for better shock angles. Seems legit.

Actually I'm pretty sure you posted the pic I'm thinking of. It's a white dodge caravan sport, and I think I remember hearing that Ralph Gilles drove it.

Oh and yeah we both know how horrible that rear shock angle is.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/12 7:06 a.m.
Rxbalt wrote:

Okay so don't scandy a stock one.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/27/12 10:02 a.m.
Vigo wrote: that thing's legit enough for me. I think they cut out the rear floor and tied the rear shocks' upper mounts into the cage for better shock angles. Seems legit. You can make an older 84-95 dodge caravan handle decently well by mixing and matching junkyard parts off of other dodges. And theres about 15 motors that will go in them. Some of the ones that bolt right up are even pretty sweet.

'84-95 Dodge/Plymouth minivan was the first thing I thought of, too.

Also, Turbo.

wawazat
wawazat New Reader
9/27/12 10:26 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Or this. Bone stock (except red honda badge) and beat about a dozen cars....including a Miata, IIRC.

I concur!

Our 2010 Honda Odyssey now has 19" Saab 9-5 wheels and 245/40-19 Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1 tires courtesy of the Saab North America HQ auction earlier this year. Handles nicely though wife is reluctant to let me take it to a Detroit region SCCA autoX event. :(

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/12 10:59 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: There is another pic of a similar vintage caravan that was a legit road racer, not a chumpcar car, but my google-fu is broken apparently.

A friend of mine runs a Caravan C/V with the 2.5L TBI and 5-speed in Chump/LeMons. Won the IOE at Sonoma with it. Lorin Mueller and his family are hard core AutoX folks from Eugene and Lorin lives in Cali now.

Chatted with him about the van at one of the ChumpCar events in Portland (where I brought our turbo Caravan ES and we towed our Shadow Turbo ChumpCar to the track using a different Caravan Turbo w/5-speed, heh) Stock drive train, freshened up for reliability. Van was completely gutted, the rear hatch is held on with hood pins after the inner skin was removed, etc. Rear was dropped using custom shackles, used Daytona front struts with cut caravan springs.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
9/27/12 11:38 a.m.

i'm 2.4 swapping my van. Factory n/a 5 speed v i'm kinda partial if you couldn't tell

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive New Reader
9/27/12 11:45 a.m.

Turbo Odyssey.

Super mega bonus internet points if you can build one with a turbo j35 front AND rear, for twin engine'd goodness.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/27/12 1:09 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:

That is cool...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/12 2:15 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: There is another pic of a similar vintage caravan that was a legit road racer, not a chumpcar car, but my google-fu is broken apparently.
A friend of mine runs a Caravan C/V with the 2.5L TBI and 5-speed in Chump/LeMons. Won the IOE at Sonoma with it. Lorin Mueller and his family are hard core AutoX folks from Eugene and Lorin lives in Cali now. Chatted with him about the van at one of the ChumpCar events in Portland (where I brought our turbo Caravan ES and we towed our Shadow Turbo ChumpCar to the track using a different Caravan Turbo w/5-speed, heh) Stock drive train, freshened up for reliability. Van was completely gutted, the rear hatch is held on with hood pins after the inner skin was removed, etc. Rear was dropped using custom shackles, used Daytona front struts with cut caravan springs.

Here's an in-car clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDw2g1Z9GwE

bloody slick out at that race.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
9/27/12 2:19 p.m.

People are clearly not reading my unicorn threads...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/28/12 9:29 p.m.

I was thinking about this thread a bit today and got passed by a mid-70's Satellite wagon pulling a pop-up camper.

It occurs to me that asking for a van that handles might really just be asking for a full-sized station wagon.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/28/12 11:24 p.m.

Reposting a video that ~I posted before~...

But it's totally relevant here.

BEHOLD THE GLOWING EXHAUST!

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/29/12 8:34 a.m.
It occurs to me that asking for a van that handles might really just be asking for a full-sized station wagon.

I can probably make a stock dodge caravan go 10 seconds faster around a road course for a lot cheaper than i can do it with most full size wagons. ymmv

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZcEejBD4AwwHCTKx9z52oLRYT1Jqj9teuAgESIFz8m1gmrraOBnS8j174PUITtfU